Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnbronco.com
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '08 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But what really surprised me was the overall feel of the size of a Bronco. It feels small! And we only got see the 4-door versions! With all the talk about MPGs, I thought we were going to be viewing a bigger rig.....
This is the second thread today where the OP thought the Bronco would be bigger. It is a direct competitor to the wrangler, have you never seen a wrangler? Just surprises me, that is all.

The size is a benefit off-road, a full size rig off-road is a PITA. Plus, one cannot fit a true American full size truck in an enclosed trailer. A Bronco or Jeep with 37s will slide right on in between the wheel wells just perfect....

Ford Bronco My takeaway (one surprise) 20190813_073122-M
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’d be curious to see what correlations exist between someone’s impression of the bronco’s size and that person’s daily driver.

When people who normally drive pickup trucks get in my Wrangler for the first time they’re always surprised at how small it is.

OP
OP
Broncodave

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I saw the same Broncos you did in person and was also taken a bit back by the interior space. It was definitely more confined than I expected. Do I think it's fine to comfortably seat four adults that are under 6' tall? Yes, no problem at all. Seemed on par with the first two rows of my Pathfinder, and have done plenty of family trips in that. The overall size is great I think, it's big but not too wide. Will be perfect on trails. However, I still think that a lot of people that get the 2dr because they think it's cool will be frustrated by the lack of space after the novelty wears off. But to each their own.

PS - MGV was OK, I think it will get very hot in the summer with the top down. Cactus Gray looks awesome in person, and the soft-top looks like complete garbage. $.02
I agree with just about everything you said, but I think 2 adults in the back, with seats that recline about as much as an airline seat, would not be very happy on a long trip. Kids would be fine.

And to be fair, I'm not expecting the Bronco to be a cross country family hauler. It was just as observation about the cabin.

OP
OP
Broncodave

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There have been quite a few of these "Bronco is smaller than expected" threads here lately. I would be curious to know if those with this opinion have ever owned a JKU, JLU or thought to check one out beforehand to help gauge the Broncos size.
No, because I don't even know what JKU and JLU stand for. Jeep something?
But as I said in my post, I can compare it to a Mazda CX-5 which is considered a small SUV, and I can compare it to a Nissan Xterra.

No wonder I've never liked Jeeps. :D

OP
OP
Broncodave

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

p.s. Who needs a comparison when you have a wife to tell you that the interior feels small. 😜

Sponsored

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I agree with just about everything you said, but I think 2 adults in the back, with seats that recline about as much as an airline seat, would not be very happy on a long trip. Kids would be fine.

And to be fair, I'm not expecting the Bronco to be a cross country family hauler. It was just as observation about the cabin.
Also depends on the trim - I'm getting a Big Bend, so no molle grid on the back of the seats. Honestly I think that the fabric seats without it will have about 2-3" more knee room than the MGV (I don't recall if the leather seats had this). I also tend to sit fairly upright and close to the wheel (5'10") so the person behind me usually has plenty of room. But anyone expecting the rear-seat to have ample legroom will be disappointed. Pretty sure my Mazda6 has a few more inches than the Bronco back there.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The interior? Really?
I’m used to smaller vehicles. So, it seems big to me. A Bronco the size of the old Wrangler LJ would be just fine in my book. I’m sure I’m in the minority on that though. 😂

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Your far from the only person who thinks it’s a small cramped cabin. Some people want to pretend it’s bigger than it is. The pictures of huge giants crammed in the seats exclaiming how huge it is always make me laugh. Others realize it’s the same size as a Wrangler as it was built to be and are ok with it. My main issue with the size is how narrow it is. I don’t want to sit that close to anyone lol. I knew it would be about the size of the Wrangler but held a glimmer of hope it would be a bit wider. It’s not. Still buying it and hoping I get used to it.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There have been quite a few of these "Bronco is smaller than expected" threads here lately. I would be curious to know if those with this opinion have ever owned a JKU, JLU or thought to check one out beforehand to help gauge the Broncos size.
Exactly this.

Ford set out to make a (better) Wrangler… and it sounds like they did exactly that.

I’m looking forward to next month when I get to see a Bronco in person… I suspect I will find it to be exactly the same size as a Wrangler.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Broncodave

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The size is a benefit off-road, a full size rig off-road is a PITA.
I'd like to say that I'm not knocking it. I get it that it's an off-road vehicle. It was just the one thing that surprised me after reading all the posts and viewing the videos.

John Bronco_ I am here

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnbronco.com
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '08 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No, because I don't even know what JKU and JLU stand for. Jeep something?

No wonder I've never liked Jeeps. :D
I'd like to say that I'm not knocking it.
JK 2007-2018 JL 2018- present. Current renditions of the Jeep. What will really blow your mind..... the modern Jeep is twice the size of the original. Most side by sides built today are larger than the original SxS, the Jeep.

flamingoezz

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XC60
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Are you sure that's a thing? The ford site has 4 door matching or beating 2 door in everything except 1st row hip room. I thought I had heard this before though...is this posted somewhere?

The 2-door has more legroom in back. Seriously. Check the specs compared to the 4-door.

OP
OP
Broncodave

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm 6'5" 275lbs and I thought the bronco felt great, was it as much room as a full size truck? No but it felt very comfortable to me in every way.
This thread is going to be very confusing for all those people who are 6' 2". :D
Sponsored