Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crosstrek, Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Today I got the chance to drive a four door Badlands 7MT at Capital Ford in Raleigh. First off, the guys there said they couldn't sell it for 6 months so that's good. Also said they could have sold it 10 times in the 2 days they've had it.

Thoughts on Manual-

Soft clutch, easy to use, and very forgiving- never came close to choking. Medium shifter throws (or short for a truck) Very nice feel and seems very solid/precise when going into a gear.

As others have said in You Tube reviews, the gap in gearing between 2nd and 3rd makes it more likely that you will not be in the power band when going up to 3rd. I found a happy place is 3000 rpm for that shift, while the rest are good more like 2-2500. Over all no issue for me. I've never had a digital tach so that took some getting used to- after 5 minutes It didn't bother me.

Shifting from the crawler to first is a bit tricky as you will want to go to 3rd. I think once you drive it a few times you will get over that tendency pretty quick.

Thoughts in general-

God, I want my Bronco!

Drove like a dream on the road. Mainly back roads around the dealership, but I was able to get up to 55 once or twice. Acceleration is excellent unless you are expecting a sports car feel. No tire noise but I was in the Lux so extra sound deadening was in play. Also was on 33s so I can't speak to Sasquatch tire noise.

I kept looking at the sides of the road and dreamed of charging up the banks to either side- would have been so fun but had a guy from dealership with me.

Speaking of dealership guy - he was clueless but nice and willing to learn. Obviously knew more about the Sport, but they have only had the real Bronco for a couple days so hopefully they will learn. Chief takeaway is, you should never start a sentence with "my dealer said..." because most likely they were wrong.

Finally, about the size. It is big when you stand outside but compact when you get in. Weird. I really liked the space inside but I can see how some people would call it small. To me everything is in reach, it has great sight lines, plenty of shoulder and head room... just Perfect.
Sponsored

Little Foot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Today I got the chance to drive a four door Badlands 7MT at Capital Ford in Raleigh. First off, the guys there said they couldn't sell it for 6 months so that's good. Also said they could have sold it 10 times in the 2 days they've had it.

Thoughts on Manual-

Soft clutch, easy to use, and very forgiving- never came close to choking. Medium shifter throws (or short for a truck) Very nice feel and seems very solid/precise when going into a gear.

As others have said in You Tube reviews, the gap in gearing between 2nd and 3rd makes it more likely that you will not be in the power band when going up to 3rd. I found a happy place is 3000 rpm for that shift, while the rest are good more like 2-2500. Over all no issue for me. I've never had a digital tach so that took some getting used to- after 5 minutes It didn't bother me.

Shifting from the crawler to first is a bit tricky as you will want to go to 3rd. I think once you drive it a few times you will get over that tendency pretty quick.

Thoughts in general-

God, I want my Bronco!

Drove like a dream on the road. Mainly back roads around the dealership, but I was able to get up to 55 once or twice. Acceleration is excellent unless you are expecting a sports car feel. No tire noise but I was in the Lux so extra sound deadening was in play. Also was on 33s so I can't speak to Sasquatch tire noise.

I kept looking at the sides of the road and dreamed of charging up the banks to either side- would have been so fun but had a guy from dealership with me.

Speaking of dealership guy - he was clueless but nice and willing to learn. Obviously knew more about the Sport, but they have only had the real Bronco for a couple days so hopefully they will learn. Chief takeaway is, you should never start a sentence with "my dealer said..." because most likely they were wrong.

Finally, about the size. It is big when you stand outside but compact when you get in. Weird. I really liked the space inside but I can see how some people would call it small. To me everything is in reach, it has great sight lines, plenty of shoulder and head room... just Perfect.
Do you think it felt underpowered? My biggest worry is buyer’s remorse that I didn’t get the 2.7 with more power/torque. Even though it can only be bought with an auto. I would be all in with a 2.7 with manual.

False

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Thank you for the write up! Wish I could budget a badlands so I could get all the off road improvements with a manual but I’m gonna have to stick to Sasquatch on a base and deal with having a auto.

OP
OP
1st4rd

1st4rd

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crosstrek, Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you think it felt underpowered? My biggest worry is buyer’s remorse that I didn’t get the 2.7 with more power/torque. Even though it can only be bought with an auto. I would be all in with a 2.7 with manual.
For me I want a manual first of all so the 2.7 is not an option. Having said that, the 2.3 felt really good even with the loaded 4 door Badlands weight. If you want to be zippy in everything you do, the 2.7 no doubt will be better.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You have to drive a small displacement 4cyl in a relatively heavy vehicle a bit different. Higher RPM shift points are the norm. Was definitely a learning curve going to a manual 4cyl Tacoma, especially when towing.

This isn't a V8, or even a V6. Higher RPMs is the norm to be in the power band. I fully expect shift points for me will be 3,000-3,500 when acceleration is a concern, especially when running heavy.

I'm sure the 2.3 will be plenty. It just requires more RPMs than some are used to.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you look at any of the various dyno graphs for the Ranger 2.3L, you can see that shifting between 2,000 and 2,500 may be good for fuel economy, but not for performance. Certainly not good when trying to accelerate at a decent pace. I think many will be shifting too soon, lugging the engine, and complaining of a lack of power. Modern 4cyls just seem to like more RPMs that what many of us are used to.

An example:
Ford Bronco My Test Drive of a Badlands 2.3 7MT 1625627196086

I should have mine by the end of the month, with taller tires than stock. I will report back my thoughts of power, gearing, etc.

OP
OP
1st4rd

1st4rd

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crosstrek, Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you look at any of the various dyno graphs for the Ranger 2.3L, you can see that shifting between 2,000 and 2,500 may be good for fuel economy, but not for performance. Certainly not good when trying to accelerate at a decent pace. I think many will be shifting too soon, lugging the engine, and complaining of a lack of power. Modern 4cyls just seem to like more RPMs that what many of use are used to.

An example:

I should have mine by the endo of the month, with taller tires than stock. I will report back my thoughts of power, gearing, etc.
Exactly. The reviews were complaining about something very easy to fix. Just shift to stay in the power band if you want power - duh. For just puttering around and economy, 2500 is fine and for acceleration and performance, 3500 will be best. The beauty of having a manual is driving it however you like.

11Bronco1776

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 1994.5 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you look at any of the various dyno graphs for the Ranger 2.3L, you can see that shifting between 2,000 and 2,500 may be good for fuel economy, but not for performance. Certainly not good when trying to accelerate at a decent pace. I think many will be shifting too soon, lugging the engine, and complaining of a lack of power. Modern 4cyls just seem to like more RPMs that what many of us are used to.

An example:

I should have mine by the end of the month, with taller tires than stock. I will report back my thoughts of power, gearing, etc.
Look forward to your write up. Still waiting on my vin but 4dr badlands 7spd. Not a lot of educated/real world info out there yet.

Foordbrawnco

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would fully expect a Ford performance tune to come out for the bronco. They already have them for the 2.3l ranger and should put the numbers close to 2.7l for around $900.

Edit: I should add that it will come with a 3yr/36k mile warranty from Ford

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would certainly buy a factory tune if available. My last factory tuned car was a Volvo C30 Polestar…a car I regret selling.

Sponsored

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The one thing I thought was wrong with the 2.3L was peak torque is at 3500 rpm, which is still pretty high. I would have liked to see the power band tuned much lower, like at least 2000 rpm which is not out of the ordinary for a turbo set up.

One thing GM got right with their new 2.7 turbo I4 is the broad flat torque curve that peaks 1500 rpm and stays through to 4000.

Little Foot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The one thing I thought was wrong with the 2.3L was peak torque is at 3500 rpm, which is still pretty high. I would have liked to see the power band tuned much lower, like at least 2000 rpm which is not out of the ordinary for a turbo set up.

One thing GM got right with their new 2.7 turbo I4 is the broad flat torque curve that peaks 1500 rpm and stays through to 4000.
Low end torque is important for off roading.I hate to say it, but that is one thing the both Wrangler and 4Runner have over Bronco in their drivetrains….Much more lower end torque. Most of us will likely be on trails, not out in the desert running fast.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Solid writeup and observations. Thanks. If I had a home where everyone could drive a manual, I'd get the 2.3L with the 7-speed. I think it is a good choice.

OP
OP
1st4rd

1st4rd

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crosstrek, Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks, I'm lucky to have a wife who drives a manual and loves trucks!

Omarius

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JCW
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Low end torque is important for off roading.I hate to say it, but that is one thing the both Wrangler and 4Runner have over Bronco in their drivetrains….Much more lower end torque. Most of us will likely be on trails, not out in the desert running fast.
Most people that buy these things will be on the freeway commuting to work. The 4runner is gutless at those speeds.
Sponsored