First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silverado, 2021 XC90
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Getting the two side windows to snap into the groove by the rear passenger seat is a PIA. Not a fan - I hope that the fabric loosens up more with usage.
My order for putting the windows back on are: bottom, side by pax door, top buckles, side by rear. So the groove by the rear seats is easy because there is no tension. What's your order?
Sponsored

survivormanca

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My order for putting the windows back on are: bottom, side by pax door, top buckles, side by rear. So the groove by the rear seats is easy because there is no tension. What's your order?
That was not my order. I will try what you are doing.

J2D

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2004 Mustang GT, 2021 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm curious if any other soft top owners have noticed any ticking coming from the rear of their Broncos? I have about 1000 miles on mine and it just recently started this noise, it's either the soft top frame or something around the tailgate. I've just about ruled out anything loose at the tailgate but haven't checked the soft top frame yet.

OP
OP
KyTruckPlant

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm curious if any other soft top owners have noticed any ticking coming from the rear of their Broncos? I have about 1000 miles on mine and it just recently started this noise, it's either the soft top frame or something around the tailgate. I've just about ruled out anything loose at the tailgate but haven't checked the soft top frame yet.
No, but I'm going to start hearing things now that you planted that seed in my head!

Seriously, I haven't, but will be paying close attention to it.

J2D

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, but I'm going to start hearing things now that you planted that seed in my head!

Seriously, I haven't, but will be paying close attention to it.
Trust me, this isn't something you'll have to listen hard for if it's happening. Also, it should be noted that I didn't have this ticking noise until after 3 hour off road ride, so it's likely related to that but I just haven't been able to fully isolate the noise location yet.

Sponsored

DustyD

Base
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks for the write-up. I was fully committed to hard-top as the only option I was interested in. However, after seeing my first Bronco in person @ the local dealership, I'm on board w/ the soft-top as a solid option- especially here in CA.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Maybe something swinging like a strap, cord, or cable hitting against something?

toddtrain

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am just curious if any of you owned a JL before your bronco? The Bronco Top seems to match the system almost exactly. I dont think there is any fantastic soft top to be honest. Great report though.

J2D

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe something swinging like a strap, cord, or cable hitting against something?
Nothing like that is back in that area....I suspect it might be the frame that goes across the tailgate or something similar.

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Someone else posted about the mount for the back-up camera being the source, tapping against the inside of the tailgate.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/gnarly-tailgate-rattle.20393/post-753731

Sponsored

J2D

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

smaxey

Big Bend
First Name
Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My soft top is giving me issues squeaking. 1600 miles in and it’s got an awful squeak the last few days. I’ve taken the top off and back on thinking maybe that will fixit but it’s still there. Considering my last car- my mustang had aluminum louvers that rattled like crazy - I can handle that - but the high pitch squeak has got to stop!

J2D

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

wbrainbow

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 C-10, 2022 Black Diamond, 2007 Harley Davidso
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think the proper method for avoiding the scratches is:

Putting Down - Fold the front half back and then fold the entire top back. When you are pulling the second half back, you need to be careful not to exert side force on the frame. So don’t just yank on it.

Putting up - fold the back half up first and then the front half. If you start with the front half, the frame will flex.

I have been very happy with the soft top. 90+ degrees here with high humidity. I have been cool enough in a full suit and tie.

The road noise is not bad at all. I can talk on work conference calls at 70 mph with no appreciable road noise through the bluetooth connection.

For now, I lay the 3 windows down in the cargo area but I will certainly be filling that up so need another place. Going to find some type of back.
Ah, the convertible life. (Still worth it.)
A video would’ve nice if you get a moment.

stuston

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Badlands, 7.3L Excursion, Multiple TDI's
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had mine for a month, and a little over a thousand miles now, and I've had pretty much the exact same experience as the OP. Thanks for the writeup. I'll throw in my additional two cents...

Isn't the point of the windows to look through them from the inside?
From the driver's seat, I can't see out the quarter side windows at all, but they do provide a lot of extra light in a very dark area. The 'wrinkles' are not noticeable from the inside anyway. They're plastic, just like in 90% of other vehicles with a soft top, so I really don't know why everyone is picking on the Bronco for this.

I was a little let down for switching to a soft top but it will be nice just folding back the top versus removing the whole hardtop. Also the windows can be removed is a good feature on nice weather days while having the shade. Maybe switching to a soft top won't be so bad. Sounds like the OP likes his
100% hit the nail on the head. I got mine because I wanted a convertible with utility. Hard top may be better for some folks, but I don't want the hassle of storing big plastic panels when I want it off.

I may have to move from the PNW to Orlando due to work. Any thought on folks in Florida if the Soft top works there with the heat? It was a no-go in Seattle with the Rain and the crime downtown.
I was concerned about this too. No more. I'm in the Atlanta area, so take this for what it is, but I have a lot less issue with the heat in my Bronco than with my Excursion. While the fabric may be hot to the touch, it doesn't HOLD any heat. You open the windows or throw open the top and all the heat is gone instantly. The roof of my Excursion (navy blue), and my Wife's Passat (also navy blue) for that matter, hold so much heat that it take half an hour or more for the AC to drop down from max on a sunny day, even if it's only 75 out. That's with the Excursion's rear air running, and it runs through the roof! Put another way, lay your hand on the metal roof of any color vehicle down here on a sunny day, you're likely to get burned. Do that on any convertible with a black canvas roof, it may be uncomfortable for a few seconds, but then you'll be fine.

I totally agree with your assessment. I've only had mine since Friday.

The water running into the door when you open it in the rain is a very annoying feature. I think their rain channel isn't thick enough.

Where is the scratching supposed to happen? I saw a little felt section on the arms. Does it scratch on the top rail? I want to make sure I don't have an issue there.
I have had the rain drip issue. I'm not sure if it's bad enough to bother me, but I also know that the inside of my Badlands was made to be splashed. I do plan to hold Ford to that - are you listening Ford?

I have not had any issue with the top rubbing on the bars. I got one of the good ones. It may also help that I'm nearly 6'2", so I don't have a problem reaching the top and guiding it most of the way over, even with the Sasquatch package.

As far as storing the windows with the top down, where would you put them? This is something I wanted to tackle but couldn't think of a logical place to put that large back window.
Can you roll up the big back panel?
Agreed. I'm close to 900 miles, and I like it. Took some practice to speed up on reassembly of the window panels, but it's clever. Wear and tear will be an issue, but we'll see what happens.
I lay the back panel face down across the back with the corners bent upward. I’ve done this several times for days at a time and have had no issues reinstalling the panel. Once you slide the bottom track back into the groove and attach the 4 clips, it seems fine. I think everyone is overly concerned about a soft top build for some rough handling.
After the 3rd time, I got the hang of removing and reassembly. The most difficult part for me is the clips, there just isn't a lot of room for my sausage fingers. I'm used to the tight fitting slide in slots from a convertible I used to have. If something starts to hang, you either back it out a little bit and try again, or use the heel of your palm and knock in in. It all fits together well.

Do not try to roll up the rear panel. The bottom channel is too stiff, if you deform it, it will not slide back into it's slot on the frame. You can't roll it long ways because there is a vertical plastic piece on each corner. The side panels, similarly, can't be rolled up because of the stiff plastic pieces that fit into the trim and hold them taught. I lay the rear panel in the cargo area with the ends gently bent to fit the space, and the side panels stacked on top of it. There usually ends up being some kind of small crease from storing them this way, but so far, the creases have come out by themselves in the heat. I have also laid them across the top bar while I was camping and needed to get my gear in/out of the back. They will fit between the bar and the roof. Bottom line, I don't expect these to be flawless in 12 months.

I am just curious if any of you owned a JL before your bronco? The Bronco Top seems to match the system almost exactly. I dont think there is any fantastic soft top to be honest. Great report though.
This is my thinking. It's a good top. I'd change some things, but then someone else would hate those changes. So in the end, Ford made choices, it works. If you don't like it, order that abomination from BestTop.
Sponsored