First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
There's really not much more in the stock turbo to allow higher HP tuning without creating extra heat. There's a point to where it simply can't make anymore power.

We're working on a turbo upgrade but until that happens I believe Whipple has done a fantastic job with their calibration. They are the only ones with a 50 state legal cal as well as having the ability to tune the trans and remove the speed limiter. They're also the only ones that have the ability to adjust for tire size or gear ratio changes.
After speaking with Whipple there is no way to go back to stock after applying their tune. This is different than most other flash tuning options people are use to that backup the stock calibration in case you need to return the vehicle to stock. Whipple needs to be clear about this in their advertising so people know what they’re getting into.

Last edited:

Haredog

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F150 Eco, 02Jag XJR100, 15 Limited Exped Eco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I purchased a Whipple Tomahawk from Lethal for my 2021 Ford Bronco with the 2.7L. I followed the instructions, plugged it into the OBD2 port, turned the ignition on without starting it, selected the Request Cal File and hit enter. It came back with an error message. I tried this several times but same message. Just for grins I checked the SD card to see if the TOMAHAWK.REQ file was on there but there were actually no files on the SD card supplied with the unit.
The Tomahawk shows part# TomahawkV1 and looks like it came directly from Whipple to me.
The Lethal guys said I should have received an email from Whipple with instructions on how to load the tune but no emails. I have sent a couple emails to Lethal and they said to contact Whipple. I sent the same emails to Whipple but no response so far
Is it a defective unit and is not pinging the factory PCM correctly? Or is the PCM locked?
This is a new Bronco Badlands, Sasquatch, 2.7L, 4 door, LUX package and has only been driven a few hundred miles. So far I have added the Magnaflow dual black tip exhaust which sounds really good and the Roush intake. I have the More Power Tuning 93PRX tune with an N Gauge on my 20 F150 Eco with the Injen Dual Cone Intake and Borla Atak exhaust. It blows the doors off stock Raptors and a few others so I have been the tuning route before but this is frustrating. Any ideas?

OP
OP
aframe009

aframe009

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I purchased a Whipple Tomahawk from Lethal for my 2021 Ford Bronco with the 2.7L. I followed the instructions, plugged it into the OBD2 port, turned the ignition on without starting it, selected the Request Cal File and hit enter. It came back with an error message. I tried this several times but same message. Just for grins I checked the SD card to see if the TOMAHAWK.REQ file was on there but there were actually no files on the SD card supplied with the unit.
The Tomahawk shows part# TomahawkV1 and looks like it came directly from Whipple to me.
The Lethal guys said I should have received an email from Whipple with instructions on how to load the tune but no emails. I have sent a couple emails to Lethal and they said to contact Whipple. I sent the same emails to Whipple but no response so far
Is it a defective unit and is not pinging the factory PCM correctly? Or is the PCM locked?
This is a new Bronco Badlands, Sasquatch, 2.7L, 4 door, LUX package and has only been driven a few hundred miles. So far I have added the Magnaflow dual black tip exhaust which sounds really good and the Roush intake. I have the More Power Tuning 93PRX tune with an N Gauge on my 20 F150 Eco with the Injen Dual Cone Intake and Borla Atak exhaust. It blows the doors off stock Raptors and a few others so I have been the tuning route before but this is frustrating. Any ideas?
What error message is it giving you? Unfortunately Lethal probably has no way to fix it so you will have to talk to Whipple. My Bronco is a 2.7 Badlands so it is almost the exact same vehicle.

OP
OP
aframe009

aframe009

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know this also sounds dumb but try hooking up a battery charger to the vehicle. That works with the SCT devices sometimes.

Sponsored

lethaljake

First Edition
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 RCSB 5.0
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hey Allen, first off I did wanna say thank you and show appreciation for your business and support of us here at Lethal. I sincerely apologize about your experience with the Whipple tune and device. Rest assured, we wanna ensure you're satisfied with the purchase. I'm gonna go ahead and send you a private message so we can keep in touch and we will personally reach out to Whipple for you to get this situation rectified! Again, I do apologize about this and we will definitely get this taken care of! Thanks again for the support! Shooting you a message now!

lethaljake

First Edition
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 RCSB 5.0
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hey guys!
So that there is no potential confusion in the future, the APP.LDR file has to be installed correctly on the SD. Evidently, it is required to be installed on the SD EXACTLY as typed. For example, if it says "APP(2)" or anything of the sort, it wont work. That is the executable file to install the newest firmware. If it does not have that, it cannot execute the BIN file. Please please in future, just check that if you have any issues uploading.

Also, feel free to message any one of us and we'll be happy to help!

Thanks!

Haredog

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep, just verified that my SD card is totally empty. I guess I just need Lethal or Whipple to email me the files that should be on the SD card like the APP.LDR or any other files that are needed.

OP
OP
aframe009

aframe009

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey guys!
So that there is no potential confusion in the future, the APP.LDR file has to be installed correctly on the SD. Evidently, it is required to be installed on the SD EXACTLY as typed. For example, if it says "APP(2)" or anything of the sort, it wont work. That is the executable file to install the newest firmware. If it does not have that, it cannot execute the BIN file. Please please in future, just check that if you have any issues uploading.

Also, feel free to message any one of us and we'll be happy to help!

Thanks!
Good stuff . Thanks for the info.

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 First Edtion 2.7L / 2020 Shelby GT500 CF
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Yep, just verified that my SD card is totally empty. I guess I just need Lethal or Whipple to email me the files that should be on the SD card like the APP.LDR or any other files that are needed.
The SD card comes empty from Whipple when you receive the device. The first step that needs to take place is to retrieve the RFQ file with the device by using the toggle buttons and Request Cal File. Once that's done you'll email that file to Whipple which was saved onto the card. When Whipple receives the RFQ file they'll build the calibration file and email it back. That's when the APP.LDR file gets loaded onto the device with the calibration. From there you proceed to flash the vehicle with the calibration using the programming function on the device.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 9.37.19 AM.png

Sponsored
OP
OP
aframe009

aframe009

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The SD card comes empty from Whipple when you receive the device. The first step that needs to take place is to retrieve the RFQ file with the device by using the toggle buttons and Request Cal File. Once that's done you'll email that file to Whipple which was saved onto the card. When Whipple receives the RFQ file they'll build the calibration file and email it back. That's when the APP.LDR file gets loaded onto the device with the calibration. From there you proceed to flash the vehicle with the calibration using the programming function on the device.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

Ford Bronco My Whipple Tune Review Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 9.37.19 AM
I was looking for this sheet to post it. Thank You

Haredog

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Update to my previous reply;
The Lethal performance team and the Whipple team persevered through this whole endeavor so hats off to both teams for responding and working with me to get this resolved especially LethalJake.
So Whipple came back today after I filled out the form yesterday, and asked me again for the Tomahawk.req file so they could proceed. I forwarded the original email thread back to them and they came back with a few suggestions that I had already tried. But, for grins, I went back to the Bronco, connected the tuner, and before I even turned on the ignition, it loaded the file in about a second. Not sure what was different this time other than I had driven the Bronco pretty hard over the past day so maybe starting and restarting cleared something out. Long story short, it runs way better with the tune. Better shift points, no auto start stop, and the turbos spool faster. With the Magnaflow and the Roush CAI it screams. Thanks to Lethal and Whipple for the follow up.

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After speaking with Whipple there is no way to go back to stock after applying their tune. This is different than most other flash tuning options people are use to that backup the stock calibration in case you need to return the vehicle to stock. Whipple needs to be clear about this in their advertising so people know what they’re getting into.
Yeah.. this should be clear. Everywhere. Not saving the original stock calibration is a huge red flag for me. Any issues and you could brick your computer. Have to get a factory reflash. Could turn into a whole thing ..... There will be better options. Whipple should know better and fix this shit. 🤷

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Yeah.. this should be clear. Everywhere. Not saving the original stock calibration is a huge red flag for me. Any issues and you could brick your computer. Have to get a factory reflash. Could turn into a whole thing ..... There will be better options. Whipple should know better and fix this shit. 🤷
There's really nothing to fix on Whipple's end. If you want a full flash this is the only route. The Whipple cal is the only calibration at the moment that changes shift points, raises the stock speed/rev limiters and allows you to adjust for tire/gear ratio changes.

We've been running the Whipple cal on the Lethal bronco for quite sometime now and it works great. We also just installed the rest of the Stage 1 kit from them which includes the high flow air filter and mega cooler intercooler and the truck is a beast now.

If the features Whipple offers aren't something you're interested in and you don't want a full flash than something like the JB4 or VR tuning modules we offer are probably what you want to look into. We carry them all so feel free to reach out if there's anything we can help you with.

Thanks!

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Update to my previous reply;
The Lethal performance team and the Whipple team persevered through this whole endeavor so hats off to both teams for responding and working with me to get this resolved especially LethalJake.
So Whipple came back today after I filled out the form yesterday, and asked me again for the Tomahawk.req file so they could proceed. I forwarded the original email thread back to them and they came back with a few suggestions that I had already tried. But, for grins, I went back to the Bronco, connected the tuner, and before I even turned on the ignition, it loaded the file in about a second. Not sure what was different this time other than I had driven the Bronco pretty hard over the past day so maybe starting and restarting cleared something out. Long story short, it runs way better with the tune. Better shift points, no auto start stop, and the turbos spool faster. With the Magnaflow and the Roush CAI it screams. Thanks to Lethal and Whipple for the follow up.
Glad you're happy with the Whipple cal and thanks for allowing us to work through the initial issues you ran into. We appreciate your business very much so thanks for the support!
Sponsored