Sponsored

My wife has been driving with diff lock on!

Shifty

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi everyone,

Need some advice, my wife has been driving the bronco this past week. She said drove great but has weird noise when turning.

went to check and noticed that the rear diff lock button was turned on by accident.

Are the diff locks damaged? I unchecked the button and light went off. It drives normal but worried if we might have damaged something.
Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You'd know if there was a serious problem... Grinding, popping, etc.

You probably have a bit more metal flake and shavings in your fluids than you did prior, but VERY likely all ok. Carry on like nothing ever happened.

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Been there, done that. I never turned mine on and forgot to turn it off but I found 4hi or the diff lock mysteriously on, probably the switches were inadvertently pressed. I really think there should be a more commanding notification system that you have some off road mode selected. Right now it just kind of blends in with all the other lights and sometimes you don't notice til you feel it.

M4Madness

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I drove the streets for years (on purpose) with the rear axles locked with a spool on a '72 Gran Torino. I took it easy turning corners, and certainly got some tire "chirping" while doing so. As mentioned above, I'm sure everything is probably fine. Just make sure she knows how to switch it off should she notice the symptoms in the future.

Sponsored

M4Madness

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I drove the streets for years (on purpose) with the rear axles locked with a spool on a '72 Gran Torino. I took it easy turning corners, and certainly got some tire "chirping" while doing so. As mentioned above, I'm sure everything is probably fine. Just make sure she knows how to switch it off should she notice the symptoms in the future.
The weirdest thing is that right after I posted the above, ARB sent me a message saying I'd won their air locker giveaway. Talk about timing! Wow!

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I would expect that any damage would be almost entirely to the tires if you leave the differential locked. Don't waste any more time worrying about it.

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hi everyone,

Need some advice, my wife has been driving the bronco this past week. She said drove great but has weird noise when turning.

went to check and noticed that the rear diff lock button was turned on by accident.

Are the diff locks damaged? I unchecked the button and light went off. It drives normal but worried if we might have damaged something.
That sucks. Least she know the feel when she has the locking diff on.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Should be fine.
Yeah, was thinking the same thing. If a spool or Lincoln locker made it fine around town, I’m sure the M220 diff will too. Just some screeching around corners and a bit of tire wear. Slow speeds may seem to require a bit more gas, but not likely to cause any damage

Last edited:

Sponsored

slycat67

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'86 Westy
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi everyone,

Fours words in the title say it all… 😉

slycat67

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'86 Westy
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Four words in that title say it all… 😉

RedDawg

Big Bend
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

A little extra wear on the rear tires, ‘bout it…….
Sponsored