Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought CarPlay was offered in Mid trim and higher if I'm not mistaken. To me that would be a big reason to consider a BB over a Base.
Naw CarPlay and Android Auto are on the base package as well.

Mid package adds Siri-like voice recognition, and it adds the ability to use the yet-to-be-released Ford Performance App. The Ford Performance App is Ford's version of the Jeep Badge of Honor app and will have off-road apps similar to Gaia and onX.
Sponsored

jwoobs

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've been getting the emails about my trial running out, so I decided to look this up.

Honestly I really like the connected navigation, it seems to route quickly and never has any hiccups like when my phone decides it wants to just drop the bluetooth connection. It will also pickup the route again if I make a quick pit-stop.

Having said that, I don't think it's worth $7/mo. I already pay enough in subscriptions including for a cell phone with a data connection. Paying more for a car that clearly already has a GPS receiver built in is a slap in the face. Also another way for Ford to f**k the peasants who don't shell out for OBX and up with high package. "You want this feature? You'll have to spend $5k to go up a trim level, for the chance to spend $3k on the package it's baked into"
(I'm still upset BD can't get heated seats with the 7MT).

Here's Ford's breakdown of the differences.
Ford Bronco Navigation on Lux vs High package? 1641235176905

Ford Bronco Navigation on Lux vs High package? 1641235185551

Ford Bronco Navigation on Lux vs High package? 1641235194921

Last edited:
OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When it reverts to a moving map is the speed limit icon for your current location still shown?

jwoobs

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My trial expires on the 17th, I will let you know once it runs out.

My guess is probably not.

OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My trial expires on the 17th, I will let you know once it runs out.

My guess is probably not.
That is the main feature that I live Ford's NAV for., that and the look of the map. I tried both WAZE and Google on our last trip but don't like either one. I may have to change my order and add the better NAV for 700 or 800 bucks

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To be clear, what I'm reading is that "Connected Built in Navigation" will work like a normal GPS when the subscription runs out. But "Connected Navigation" won't let you do anything without a subscription.

OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To be clear, what I'm reading is that "Connected Built in Navigation" will work like a normal GPS when the subscription runs out. But "Connected Navigation" won't let you do anything without a subscription.
That's the way I understand it and I think Connected Built in NAV is about $700 extra as an add on to the High package..

Dave-O

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150/Mach-E
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The basic Bronco comes with android auto and apple CarPlay….why is anyone paying extra for navigation ? Or is my old showing…

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The basic Bronco comes with android auto and apple CarPlay….why is anyone paying extra for navigation ? Or is my old showing…
Those won't do you any good if you drive out of cell phone range. That said, I didn't want all the bells and whistles that came with nav in my Jeep, so I didn't get it and I just use car play all the time with no issues. I also often use car play for nav in my wife's pacifica because I like being able to map the route before I get in the car.

I only ordered the nav in the bronco because I want the other things in the Lux package. However, I'm very glad to see the nav will work without a subscription. What kind of BS if Ford pulling requiring people to pay for simply mapping out a destination? I mean, this kind of technology has been around for decades now without subscription fees, and a base GPS can be had for less than $100 these days.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Both Connected Navigation and Connected Built-In Navigation do basically the same thing while the service is active. The both pull in weather and traffic information using the AT&T cellular modem inside of your vehicle, and they will both route you from point A to point B.

Once the service expires, the Connected Built-In Navigation reverts to a more traditional old-school GPS device. It'll provide you routing from point A to point B, but it will not provide you weather or traffic information.

On Connected Navigation, the system will revert to effectively a digital map. There will be no routing functionality.

The third option is to use the Maps application (or something like Waze) on your smartphone through Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. That service is available on all trims and does not require a subscription to use, as it is driven entirely through your smartphone.
I've been getting the emails about my trial running out, so I decided to look this up.

Honestly I really like the connected navigation, it seems to route quickly and never has any hiccups like when my phone decides it wants to just drop the bluetooth connection. It will also pickup the route again if I make a quick pit-stop.

Having said that, I don't think it's worth $7/mo. I already pay enough in subscriptions including for a cell phone with a data connection. Paying more for a car that clearly already has a GPS receiver built in is a slap in the face. Also another way for Ford to f**k the peasants who don't shell out for OBX and up with high package. "You want this feature? You'll have to spend $5k to go up a trim level, for the chance to spend $3k on the package it's baked into"
(I'm still upset BD can't get heated seats with the 7MT).

Here's Ford's breakdown of the differences.

Ford has been absolutely horrible about clearly explaining these features. They are terribly named, very little detail is provided about the features/tech included in each, and Ford doesn't provide any up-front information about continuing the subscription after the trial period. Also no info on how these options interact with the off-road/trail maps in the Bronco.

The fourth bullet down for both Connected and Connected Built-In is actually very telling, as it strongly suggests that with both systems the vehicle is actually receiving a true GPS signal, rather than relying solely on cellular signals for navigation. That's good news. (It would honestly be stupid to rely on cell signals for an off-road vehicle, but that doesn't mean Ford wouldn't do it.)

To be clear for those that still get confused by this, neither the Connected nor the Connected Built-In navigation options use your phone for anything. They use a cellular signal via the vehicle's cellular modem, and evidently a GPS receiver as well.
With regards to navigation, the vehicle's cellular modem is used for:
  • Vehicle location (evidently both cellular signals and GPS are utilized in the Bronco)
  • Periodic map updates
  • Connected services (live traffic, live address and location searches)
Your phone is only being used for navigation if you're using an app via Android Auto or Apple Carplay.

Sponsored

Dave-O

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150/Mach-E
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Those won't do you any good if you drive out of cell phone range. That said, I didn't want all the bells and whistles that came with nav in my Jeep, so I didn't get it and I just use car play all the time with no issues. I also often use car play for nav in my wife's pacifica because I like being able to map the route before I get in the car.

I only ordered the nav in the bronco because I want the other things in the Lux package. However, I'm very glad to see the nav will work without a subscription. What kind of BS if Ford pulling requiring people to pay for simply mapping out a destination? I mean, this kind of technology has been around for decades now without subscription fees, and a base GPS can be had for less than $100 these days.
Ok, that makes more sense. Maybe I’ll have a reason for a TOMTOM after all. Probably still never happen. But anyways, yeah Ford is definitely charging extra for a number of very basic features that have been around for years. As if Power windows and Locks are suddenly a premium feature.

jwoobs

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As if Power windows and Locks are suddenly a premium feature.
Don’t give them any ideas…

FordPass already expires after I think 36 months. Goodbye phone remote start and lock.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford has been absolutely horrible about clearly explaining these features. They are terribly named, very little detail is provided about the features/tech included in each, and Ford doesn't provide any up-front information about continuing the subscription after the trial period. Also no info on how these options interact with the off-road/trail maps in the Bronco.

The fourth bullet down for both Connected and Connected Built-In is actually very telling, as it strongly suggests that with both systems the vehicle is actually receiving a true GPS signal, rather than relying solely on cellular signals for navigation. That's good news. (It would honestly be stupid to rely on cell signals for an off-road vehicle, but that doesn't mean Ford wouldn't do it.)

To be clear for those that still get confused by this, neither the Connected nor the Connected Built-In navigation options use your phone for anything. They use a cellular signal via the vehicle's cellular modem, and evidently a GPS receiver as well.
With regards to navigation, the vehicle's cellular modem is used for:
  • Vehicle location (evidently both cellular signals and GPS are utilized in the Bronco)
  • Periodic map updates
  • Connected services (live traffic, live address and location searches)
Your phone is only being used for navigation if you're using an app via Android Auto or Apple Carplay.
I'm thinking the connected Nav uses the vehicle's cell connection for everything and the GPS just for location. That would explain why you need a subscription to use it, and why the trial is only 90 days.

Whereas the built in nav has everything stored on its own drive like most GPS's, therefore no connection needed to simply map a destination.

OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't like Android auto, Google maps or Waze
I have forda Navigation on both my trucks and that's what I like and that's what I'm used to

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm thinking the connected Nav uses the vehicle's cell connection for everything and the GPS just for location. That would explain why you need a subscription to use it, and why the trial is only 90 days.

Whereas the built in nav has everything stored on its own drive like most GPS's, therefore no connection needed to simply map a destination.
That was kinda what I was expecting as well, especially based on their naming conventions. But the breakdown posted here clearly states that both the Connected and Connected Built-In options provide navigation in cellular dead zones, which leads me to believe that both incorporate an actual GPS receiver.
Based on this breakdown, I think the "built-in" component is essentially on-board route-finding and search capabilities. Basically, it includes on-board software for route-finding and maintains an on-board copy of maps/locations. The Connected version would be completely reliant on and outside source to provide search results and destination routing. The Connected Built-In is capable of destination routing (and likely searching the on-board database) without a subscription. That's conjecture, but seems to align with those descriptions from Ford.

That also makes me wonder if the routing, search, and other connected services of the Connected option may stop working any time you are outside of cell coverage (even if your subscription is active).
Sponsored