First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I agree. I wasn't suggesting there was a difference in hardware.
Seems to be a simple difference in software, maybe even just a software setting. One allows for on-board routing and searches, while the other off-loads that to a computer elsewhere and depends on a connection. I suppose it's possible the Built-In could have larger data storage to store more data locally, but doubt there's any way to tell.

software is exactly the same....
Sponsored

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

software is exactly the same....
On the surface, yes. I'm talking about what's going on "under the hood" of the nav system, even if it's as simple as a software setting.
Hardware and software can't both be "exactly the same" since that constitutes the entirety of the nav system, and the two different systems have different capabilities. Something has to be different, even if it's just a couple of settings that are 1s instead of 0s.

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
On the surface, yes. I'm talking about what's going on "under the hood" of the nav system, even if it's as simple as a software setting.
Hardware and software can't both be "exactly the same" since that constitutes the entirety of the nav system, and the two different systems have different capabilities. Something has to be different, even if it's just a couple of settings that are 1s instead of 0s.

they are the same though, the difference lies in another module.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
srBx_swYIknfTRrPf5gqgE6R3qcNXqeK9LIFuEK9rVQ.jpg

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There are folks that think all the extra $700 gets you is a longer subscription. Apparently there's also others that think the two systems are identical (which sort of means they think the extra price of the built-in IS just a 3-year subscription).

Personally I can't prove anything either way. But it would take a lot for someone to convince me that the built-in is exact same system as the "free" version. And by "system" I just simply mean the navigation feature. I'm not going to split hairs with someone as to if it's part of the radio, or part of the GPS receiver, or some antenna.

In the end, it turns out there was some simple hack that could be done that would have saved me $700 I'll be admittedly wrong not to mention pissed :mad:

Sponsored

SupremoSombrero

Big Bend
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’m a big cord fan; but I have to say this is disappointing way of booking people who already paid up-front big time fort the upgraded electronics. Thanks for the insights - I’m happy with my upcoming Big Bender (and then 2023 Basequatch). Staying away from the luxury trap.

jwoobs

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just out of curiosity, I looked it up.

TOMTOM offers a phone app for $25/yr that includes offline mapping capabilities and AA and CarPlay capability. So it should be the same quality as Ford NAV for 1/3rd the price.

Or you can get a standalone unit with maps and traffic updates for $125.

And TOMTOM are the traffic provider on F150 and MachE, so I imagine that is also the case for the Bronco.

Moot point since I'm a poor mid-pkg peasant, but still... Makes the case for built in or the subscription that much less compelling.

AdDoc

Badlands
First Name
Jef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My dealer said $80 per year for connected.
When doing my "orientation" I asked why connected?
The person said that built in navigation is soon going away. You have to buy a thumbdrive and plug that in to down load maps when ever there is an update that you want. Updates are done a couple times a year.

Connected GPS is a subscription and will up date with map changes, traffic and road construction as fast as the information gets out. I keep hearing about Waze etc... whoosh.... that is information going over my head. I will most likely get Connected subscription at least once and try to learn the others.
$80/year would be fine if I were a traveling salesman who used it almost daily, but for someone like me who uses it less than once a month, it simply isn't worth that. Same with satellite radio. These subscriptions could bankrupt a guy.

Fordmanbob

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 4x4 supercrew, 2006 F350 4x4 superc.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Found this:

From: https://www.kbb.com/car-news/ford-bronco-packages/#lux-package
"Coolest Features — The navigation system works a little differently on the Lux Package than it does on the High Package. The High Package has what Ford calls “connected navigation,” which means it can give you a navigation screen, but it needs to get GPS data from your phone. With “connected built-in navigation” on the Lux package, no phone is required, and the navigation system is built into the car."
I have a WT that should be here at the end of the month with the high pkg and window sticker says connected built in navigation.....I guess I'll find out when it gets here

jwoobs

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When it reverts to a moving map is the speed limit icon for your current location still shown?
My connected nav expired and the speed limit still shows up in the cluster.

Also the map will still display, but won’t do any routing or search.

BC850BD1-9A08-4268-BDF5-1B4516E30645.jpeg

Sponsored
OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Navigation on Lux vs High package? BC850BD1-9A08-4268-BDF5-1B4516E30645
Where is the current speed limit shown? In my F150 it shows on the map. Thanks

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Ford Bronco Navigation on Lux vs High package? BC850BD1-9A08-4268-BDF5-1B4516E30645
So you can't put in an address and have it give you a route to it?

jwoobs

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Correct, can’t put in an address or search for anything.
Now that's BS. What the F@$@ good is a nav system that has to have a subscription. That's 20 year old technology. I have kenwood systems that have their maps and routing capabilities stored internally. Even has winter roads (i.e. frozen river river roads) stored in them.

Starting to get more and more disenchanted with this whole mess...
Sponsored