Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Noticed the NAV comes with a “complimentary” 3 month subscription. Anyone else think it’s silly an off-roading focused vehicle is utilizing a subscription service for its NAV?

Will they be charging a subscription for CarPlay like BMW too?

I get many of us use Waze or other maps, but this is disappointing.
Sponsored

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
IMO vehicles shouldn’t even include any nav. I’d rather save the $ and everyone uses CarPlay/android auto anyway...

pvbronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Viraf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 535i, 1966 Mustang Convt 289
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I don’t plan on a built in Navi - will rely on Android Auto instead.

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

AA/AP makes navi un-good...lol

I wonder along this line though how is the Ford trail thing going to tie in...only via navi?

OP
OP

Snippy

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

IMO vehicles shouldn’t even include any nav. I’d rather save the $ and everyone uses CarPlay/android auto anyway...
If I recall correctly, I read somewhere that CarPlay is an “optional” feature. Not sure if that’s a one time fee or a subscription as well.

Sponsored

DobbsMT

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pickup
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The one thing that keeps me buying built in navigation, is that I'd rather not be dependent on cell service or have to remember to download maps on my phone ahead of time if I'm anywhere but the Freeway. But, as always, to each his own. I'm just glad to have the choice.

There are great alternatives to having built-in Nav though. GaiaGPS is my favorite, as you get a ton of different uses out of it (Hunt, Fish, Hike, Raft, Drive, Ride, etc, etc). OnX Offroad seems just OK. Good maps, but less value.

Using an iPad or mobile device for Nav in the Bronco seems like it may be easier with that cool attachment system that they've shown on top of the dash. Will be interesting to see what else you can use it for.

OP
OP

Snippy

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

From the Big Bend feature list:

Entertainment Systems
Standard
  • AM/FM stereo with 6 speakers
  • SYNC® 4 - 8" LCD Capacitive Touchscreen with Swipe Capability and Enhanced Voice Recognition
  • 911 Assist®
  • SiriusXM® With 360L
  • SYNC® 4
  • FordPass Connect™
Optional
  • AppLink® with App Catalog
  • Apple Carplay™ and Android Auto™ Compatibility
  • Voice-Activated Touchscreen Navigation System with Pinch-to-Zoom Capability

bbq4133

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Nav in my Taco is the first I've ever had and I gotta be honest, it absolutely sucks at every turn. I have CarPlay with Google, Apple, etc., as well as GaiaGPS on my phone. No need for factory nav when third party options are so much better (and can be downloaded for offline access and usage).

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
From the Big Bend feature list:
Yeah that's worrying - every single SYNC 3 vehicle can do CarPlay/AA. If they didn't come from the factory with it, a free software upgrade enables it (and sometimes a $20 USB plug).

If Ford releases SYNC 4 but adds an upcharge for CarPlay/AA, that would be very very stupid.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah that's worrying - every single SYNC 3 vehicle can do CarPlay/AA. If they didn't come from the factory with it, a free software upgrade enables it (and sometimes a $20 USB plug).

If Ford releases SYNC 4 but adds an upcharge for CarPlay/AA, that would be very very stupid.
sounds like that’s the future of cars. Navigation and AA/ACP even self driving are a subscription based system

Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
sounds like that’s the future of cars. Navigation and AA/ACP even self driving are a subscription based system
I think it's the future of everything. Companies are realizing how much more they can make without people noticing how much they're spending if they charge a monthly fee instead of a one-time charge. Amazon Prime, Microsoft Office, Netflix, Apple Music - everyone wants to get that monthly fee cash.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think it's the future of everything. Companies are realizing how much more they can make without people noticing how much they're spending if they charge a monthly fee instead of a one-time charge. Amazon Prime, Microsoft Office, Netflix, Apple Music - everyone wants to get that monthly fee cash.
things like ACP will be QUICKLY tuned. It’s super easy to activate that with a computer. Might void warranty tho.
But navigation I get.

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If I recall correctly, I read somewhere that CarPlay is an “optional” feature. Not sure if that’s a one time fee or a subscription as well.
CarPlay and Android Auto are both standard on all Broncos. The "optional" part under the spec site is wrong.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

CarPlay and Android Auto are both standard on all Broncos. The "optional" part under the spec site is wrong.
hope that is true. just one less option to pay for.

also, BMW has stopped the subscription service and not offers it as an option. unless that has changed as well.

MightyAndrew

Outer Banks
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Didn't BMW drop that foolish $80 fee after an extremely negative reception from their base? I can't see Ford doing something this stupid especially if it is meant to compete with such an established base and ESPECIALLY since the prior gen of the system comes with it standard. How can they take such a massive step back?
Sponsored