Sponsored

Need help with my build - full body bash plates or brush guard?

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021...Nope. 2022...still no. 2023? Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve posted a few times here and everyone has been incredibly helpful so I’m hoping I can get some more advice (plus I’m snowed in and kinda bored...so thinking about my Bronco is my excitement for the day).

I’m *very* new to OHVs (beating my old Denali to death 20 years ago on dirt roads and fields probably doesn’t count).

Ergo I’m a novice and don’t intend to be too aggressive. I’m going to start on easy trails and work my way up to moderate and ultimately difficult. But I don’t ever foresee myself rock crawling (unless I end up stuck somewhere and it’s the only way out...but I’m cautious so don’t foresee that happening).

I was trying to add the full body bash plates and brush guard - but apparently can only pick one.
For reference - I live in Colorado so will be doing my off-roading in the mountains. I’ve reserved a Wildtrak so at least I have the front bash plates included.

Thanks for any/all advice!
Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The brush guard is aesthetic. It has no practical use but to elicit an emotional response.

OP
OP
Maximus3311

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The brush guard is aesthetic. It has no practical use but to elicit an emotional response.
Ok thank you that's good to know - as much as I love the way my Bronco looks I'm more interested in substance over style. I don't need something sticking out the front that's not going to provide actual protection.

Given that I'll just stick with the bash plates and protect my investment.

Thanks@

OP
OP
Maximus3311

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

kimmnen

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect & '22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok thank you that's good to know - as much as I love the way my Bronco looks I'm more interested in substance over style. I don't need something sticking out the front that's not going to provide actual protection.

Given that I'll just stick with the bash plates and protect my investment.

Thanks@
and what is easiest for you to install on your own if you decide you need both.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Disagee. May be the difference between getting home after hitting a deer and not. #Deerslayer...

OP
OP
Maximus3311

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Disagee. May be the difference between getting home after hitting a deer and not. #Deerslayer...
Well here's the question - since I already have the front steel bash plates and the rear (plastic) - would those combined be sufficient for what I'm going to be doing?

I really appreciate all the advice too - like I said I don't know enough about this stuff to make an informed decision.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Absolutely, that's sufficient.

Ford's "brush" guard is just that. It's bolted to the bumper and is a tear-away piece, capable of blocking brush. What @PSUTE says about deer is true if you're talking about a welded or formed piece of steel that is integral to the bumper, but not what Ford is offering. Ford's piece is not a structural component making a difference when bashed. The brush guard is for looks, not for protection.

OP
OP
Maximus3311

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Ford's "brush" guard is just that. It's bolted to the bumper and is a tear-away piece, capable of blocking brush. What @PSUTE says about deer is true if you're talking about a welded or formed piece of steel that is integral to the bumper, but not what Ford is offering. Ford's piece is not a structural component making a difference when bashed. The brush guard is for looks, not for protection.
Ah ok well that makes perfect sense. Maybe I'll bolt one on myself afterwards (depending on price). I'm capable of doing that...but going under the bronco to bolt on bash plates would be a lot harder for me. Would probably end up setting a fire somehow.

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it was a deer proof they would have called it a deer guard. :unsure:

BenB007

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I personally like having a brush guard. I had one on my 98 Discovery and it was nice when people would back into me while parallel parking. I've also bumped into a sign post or two in parking lots with my Tundra in the seven years that I've had it. Seems the Bronco version does little on the trails but around town I would expect it to be decent. That being said, reading the above replies, it looks as though the Bronco brush guard isn't substantial enough that it would help much.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model