First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You want to get the advanced 4x4 transfer case, that automatically adds the 4.27 ratio locker on the OBX, perfect for snow and off roading if you ever get the itch. $1600 extra
Sponsored

BossMann

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Open diffs better in snow and ice. The wheel that doesn’t get the power acts as a pivot point helping to reduce sliding sideways.

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Personally, I think open diffs and traction control would be better in the snow. Modern traction control is pretty effective. Of course, we've been telling people with Jeeps for years to get the good equipment up front. SOOO many people when they first get a Jeep (Bronco) say they won't off road, or only do light off road exploring. Then they meet people, go out with friends, do a couple more interesting runs, and then they want to build up their rig to do more. Happens all the time. You're getting a Bronco, never say never, get the locker. :giggle:

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

if you are planning on staying on roads, you should be good. dirt roads and paved roads you should be fine. trails and off roading, opt for the locker. the 4wd and traction controls systems in snow should prove to be quite sufficient. what are you driving now in the snow? a FWD or a RWD in the snow is not going to do as well as any 4wd or AWD vehicle...

mikedege

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Guys, The base model doesn't offer the locker unless you get Sasquatch. WTH???
Looks like basically if you want the lockers you pay at least 4K for being forced to move up to a different model. :(

Mike

Sponsored

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

if you are really concerned, a limited slip differential might be an alternative at a reasonable price. there are plenty of units around from crunched mustangs the 8.8 rear end is the standard for ford for the past few decades...

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I needed the rear locker on my wife's F-150 last weekend.

I was technically on a "road". It was marked as a road on the map.
Power Line Road - best guess is it hadn't been graded in 5-6 years...

In Arizona one does not necessarilly associate road = paved though. I know of at least one state highway which is gravel/dirt.

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just wondering if I need the rear locker, won't be doing any off-road driving. Debating this option for NY winter driving. Bronco will be winter daily driver , summer split with Mustang. Ordered very late (June), started out with bb and changed order to ob because I wanted either high or lux package.
Do the locker and the advanced transfer case. The other benefit you get a little better gearing in case you want to go up a little in tire size.

The transfer case is the key for snow and slush.

Digger 5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You won't need a locker...until you do. I'd rather have it and not need than need it and not have it. The ability to get traction and go easy on the gas vs. using the loud pedal can save a bunch of damage.
If you were to try to add a factory locker later you would require new axle shafts as well. At this point IT APPEARS that the m210/220 JL/JT ARB will fit.

mjohnso3

Black Diamond
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

if you are really concerned, a limited slip differential might be an alternative at a reasonable price. there are plenty of units around from crunched mustangs the 8.8 rear end is the standard for ford for the past few decades...
Are the Ford 8.8 internal components compatable with the Dana 44 axle ?

Sponsored

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Are the Ford 8.8 internal components compatable with the Dana 44 axle ?
at the time of the post i was not aware of the D44 rear end being used, but there are many LSDs available for the dana rear end. the price may be a little more the the old 8.8. eaton has a few offerings... the price is just a little more but the traction control is coming close to the LSD...

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You want to get the advanced 4x4 transfer case, that automatically adds the 4.27 ratio locker on the OBX, perfect for snow and off roading if you ever get the itch. $1600 extra
I just added the Advanced 4x4 to by OBX for that reason. I may never need it, but if I every get on a boat ramp or some soft stuff I will have something else to try. Plus I just wanted two extra hero switches. 😉

GoHack

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The only time for a Locker is w/heavy off-roading, otherwise a LSD (Limited Slip Differential) is the way to go, since it can be used in 2HI, 4Hi, and 4Low, in dirt, pavement, rain, and snow.
I've owned them both, Locker and LSD, and prefer the LSD.
I've got one in my Jeep, and I'm happy w/it.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I got the Expedition stuck in the mud of my driveway a couple weeks ago. Rear locker would have come in really handy.

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have one in my work truck 4X4. Never thought I would need it and I have used it at least 6 times to help me out from bad articulating hills and pulling out a buddies truck and fifth wheel in sand. Just buy it. If you don’t use it. I would bet you would get more for your bronco when you sell it.
Agreed. It's costing you practically nothing, that being said, I went Base model and am perfectly happy with it.
Sponsored