Sponsored

Need tire wisdom: Can I get larger tires but use the same wheel?

GiveItaTri

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm looking at getting the upgraded 17" rims for the nonsquatch BD. When the original 32" tires are done, can I safely get 33" (or larger) tires but keep the same rims? I searched but couldn't find a thread to answer this exact question. Thanks!!
Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@GiveItaTri

Yes.

The tire you can use is dependent on wheel width, not height of the tire. So, if a wheel is 7.5" wide (inside lip to inside lip), then you can use any tire that works with a wheel width of 7.5", regardless of tire height.

If you look at a tire site, usually it will give you a range of wheel widths it is compatible with. For example, a 33x12.5" (12.5" wide) tire might work with a wheel width of 8.5" - 10". So, that size tire will work with any wheel between 8.5" and 10" wide (I made up that example, but it's pretty close). The height of the tire doesn't matter much. You can run a 31x12.5" tire to a 37x12.5" tire on an 8.5" wheel because it's the width of the tire that matters. You could probably also run a 31x10.5" tire, through a 37x13.5" tire, it just depends on the tire and whether it's compatible with that wheel.

Here is an example, scroll down to specs, hit 17" rim and then pick the tire size you're considering.
https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tires/all-terrain/all-terrain-t-a-ko2.html

There will be a new pop up that says something like:

Rim Width Range (Min/Max) 8.50" - 11.00"

Last edited:
OP
OP
GiveItaTri

GiveItaTri

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@GiveItaTri

Yes.

The tire you can use is dependent on wheel width, not height of the tire. So, if a wheel is 7.5" wide (inside lip to inside lip), then you can use any tire that works with a wheel width of 7.5", regardless of tire height.

If you look at a tire site, usually it will give you a range of wheel widths it is compatible with. For example, a 33x12.5" (12.5" wide) tire might work with a wheel width of 8.5" - 10". So, that size tire will work with any wheel between 8.5" and 10" wide (I made up that example, but it's pretty close). The height of the tire doesn't matter much. You can run a 31x12.5" tire to a 37x12.5" tire on an 8.5" wheel because it's the width of the tire that matters. You could probably also run a 31x10.5" tire, through a 37x13.5" tire, it just depends on the tire and whether it's compatible with that wheel.

Here is an example, scroll down to specs, hit 17" rim and then pick the tire size you're considering.
https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tires/all-terrain/all-terrain-t-a-ko2.html

There will be a new pop up that says something like:

Rim Width Range (Min/Max) 8.50" - 11.00"
Ok, that is good news. Thank you. Now if I can ask a related question... Do you know the width of the upgraded BD rims? I'm sure it is in some spreadsheet I've seen, but I simply don't know what I'm looking at. Thanks again.

Oh, does increasing the tire size increase the possibility of damaging any of the axle or drive chain components? Dumb question??

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Think he has it right 7.5" for both the steelie and the optional wheels. Sas wheels are 8.5" and BLs are 8"

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Black Diamond is 17"x7.5"

If it were me, and if I had those wheels, I'd get 34x10.5x17 BFG AT KO2 tires.

I don't think this makes sense to a lot of people, but all of the drivetrain is a series of gears. You have the engine producing power that is run through a set of gears (transmission), then through a set of gears (transfer case) then through a set of gears (axles) then through a set of gears (tires) to the ground and that propels the vehicle forward; that transfer of power from the motor through all the other gears. So, the tires are a gear, a big one. Does the size of the tire damage anything? Not really, it just changes the amount of power to the ground. A larger tire is harder to turn, so in theory it is providing additional resistance over a smaller tire, but when you're talking about the difference between 32" tires and 33" tires it's insignificant.

If you were talking about a change in size of some significance, and then putting that tire in a position that it has a lot of rolling resistance (think 37" tire trying to climb a vertical boulder), then you will damage something. It would be the same as trying to turn something that won't turn and at some point one of the things breaks. The tire will not move forward, because it has to move "up" the vertical object and the motor is turning, but that power cannot move through the system. That is when you find the weakest link(s) in the chain. So, in theory, as you move up in size you create rolling resistance. When you then create a situation that the rolling resistance becomes greater than the weakest link, it breaks. You don't have to worry about that until you wedge that tire between two rocks, you're turning while trying to climb vertically. It won't be bad though, just a loud "pop" or "bang" and then you'll replace the broken CV/axle shaft. Easy-peasy. I'm being facetious, but you won't break anything with a 32" to 33" change, at least it won't be due to the tire change.

Last edited:

Sponsored

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sure, depends on the width of the rim, not the diameter.

RCVBAF

Big Bend
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer, 2005 Ranger FX4, & 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I put 285/75R17 Toyo Open Country R/Ts on stock BB wheels while I waited for my Pro Comp wheels to come in. They worked great.
Ford Bronco Need tire wisdom: Can I get larger tires but use the same wheel? C06FB29D-6DA8-47BE-803F-B142B769C4C3

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Black Diamond is 17"x7.5"

If it were me, and if I had those wheels, I'd get 34x10.5x17 BFG AT KO2 tires.
I looked at that size before buying the Toyo 285/75R17 I have now. I have no idea why that particular size of BFG is $418 per tire. Also, they are only 33.5” tall.

4695BF92-4790-4A5F-9AC1-3B6F63C4DE83.png
Sponsored