Sponsored

Negative effect of low tire pressure when sitting on transport truck?

5PC24

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Having my Raptor transported from Texas to Seattle area. Got an alert yesterday from Ford app that the vehicle has low tire pressure. I wasn't able to see any details yesterday but today I see pressures of 3/3/4/6 PSI on the display. I'm trying to get in touch with transport company & driver to see whats up and to get them filled back up. But I'm also concerned they may have caused damaged by lowering pressure and having the rims sitting on the now compressed sidewalls and tire. Am I being over concerned here? Anything I should have done to inspect the tires after the vehicle arrives?

Also wondering if its false alarm from app but the fact that it's been there for over a day now makes me think its real.
Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I wonder if it was too tall to fit on the truck, so they just aired it down until it fit. 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP

5PC24

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I wonder if it was too tall to fit on the truck, so they just aired it down until it fit. 🤷‍♂️
Seems like that may be the case. They had it for 2 days before they aired it down so maybe only then did they need to get more on the transporter. I can see them going down to 20 or so but 4-6 seems really low to me. My worry is if its detrimental to the tire's internal structure of sidewalls to have them rims sitting on them with only 4 psi and with the vehicle also likely strapped down exerting more force on them. I could easily be over-thinking this too. Just imagining a fully flat tire with the rim pressing down in to tread body and flexing sidewall in a bad way. Definitely not a tire expert, thus the asking here :)

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I think you would have to be quite reckless and frankly dumb to air down a tire so low as to cause self contact somewhere between the tire and itself (or perhaps rim to tire) - and then drive on it.

That said, I suspect a pressure even this low wouldn't cause such a secanrio with the 37s on this truck and therefore would not damage your tires.

Seems more likely a bug or lost connection or something.

If you really wanted some more peace of mind, ask someone on here to air down to 4 psi and take a picture.

OP
OP

5PC24

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thanks. Sounds like I shouldn't worry about it. Was able to text driver this morning and he says it did air it down to fit for height and that it will just be like that for another day or so until he drops off a car. He wrote that he airs them up if he needs to move it.

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I would worry the bead would break at that low pressure.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

3-4psi isn't all that uncommon if you're running in sand or snow.
Even at 0psi, the weight of a Bronco on those tires probably isn't even enough to completely compress the sidewall. Don't worry about it, no damage is being done to your tires.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
3-4psi isn't all that uncommon if you're running in sand or snow.
Even at 0psi, the weight of a Bronco on those tires probably isn't even enough to completely compress the sidewall. Don't worry about it, no damage is being done to your tires.
I agree. You may experience “flat spots” however for the first few miles when you drive it again.

I keep the tires on my CJ3A at around 10 to 12 psig (Its a very light vehicle) for long periods of time. When you drive it, seems like the tires are square for a few miles.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I wouldn't want to have my vehicle sitting stationary too long with very low pressures. My Jeep sat for a while like that and the tire sidewalls got some splitting. Granted the tires were older and the vehicle sat longer (hopefully) than yours in transit. But still I would not be thrilled about 3 psi.

OP
OP

5PC24

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
It ended up a total of about 4 days at the lower pressure. Driver sent pics with his gauge showing 9psi and not the tpms 4-6psi. Didn’t notice any issues or vibrations in first drive after delivery (at speeds up to 70mph speed limit ;) )

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My worry is if its detrimental to the tire's internal structure of sidewalls to have them rims sitting on them with only 4 psi and with the vehicle also likely strapped down exerting more force on them. I could easily be over-thinking this too.
My thoughts exactly, you're not over thinking it ... I don't think.... errumm, i mean, in my humble opinion.
Sponsored