Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You just said with a tune and now you’re adding in bolt-ons and high ethanol
Gasoline. Which is it? 70HP is not in the ballpark. 70HP is akin to me saying my Challenger is in the ballpark of the 550HP Jaguar F-pace SUV. It’s not.
OK, what I said is tuners are getting around 400 HP and 500lb ft of torque with no other mods. With higher ethanol tunes and simple bolt ons, they are getting over 500HP and 550+ lb ft of torque. 400+ HP and 500 lb ft of torque, using a Badlands for comparison would likely be very close 0-60 and 1/4 mile wise. It remains to be seen, but that’s comparable. Clearly there is some power left in the 392 as well, but it’s not like the 392 puts the Bronco out of any possible competition in straight line performance. It will be fun to see. I am sure there will be plenty of both at Milan dragway, not far from my house on Wednesday nights, if Ford can actually ever produce a Bronco. Everything else seems to show up there, I am sure there will be some Jeep/Bronco grudge matches!
Sponsored

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OK, what I said is tuners are getting around 400 HP and 500lb ft of torque with no other mods. With higher ethanol tunes and simple bolt ons, they are getting over 500HP and 550+ lb ft of torque. 400+ HP and 500 lb ft of torque, using a Badlands for comparison would likely be very close 0-60 and 1/4 mile wise. It remains to be seen, but that’s comparable. Clearly there is some power left in the 392 as well, but it’s not like the 392 puts the Bronco out of any possible competition in straight line performance. It will be fun to see. I am sure there will be plenty of both at Milan dragway, not far from my house on Wednesday nights, if Ford can actually ever produce a Bronco. Everything else seems to show up there, I am sure there will be some Jeep/Bronco grudge matches!
Okay but that’s irrelevant lol. You said the horsepower would be in the ballpark with a tune and I said it will not, which it won’t. I’m not debating the Bronco has untapped potential with tunes and bolt-ons. Turbos always have the easiest path to more power. I own the 392, these not much you can do to it that’s isn’t insanely expensive and the gains are beyond minimal. The Bronco will be the faster vehicle if someone wants to put the time and money into it. The Jeep will always be slower against a built Bronco unless you completely rebuild and forge the engine and throw on a supercharger. V8 is still more fun to drive stock because how the power is applied and the sound.

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
V8 is still more fun to drive stock because how the power is applied and the sound.
YES. Opening up the 5.7 HEMI on my Durango R/T is a guaranteed smile. To me it has the perfect exhaust tone straight from the factory.

Sponsored

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, RZR XP4 Turbo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am not sure we know which transmission it will use or what the difference is , but it wouldn’t be my biggest concern. They have been running the powertrain for a few years, so hopefully good to go. I am willing to bet whatever issues come up, they are generally less than the Jeep (I have owned several Chryslers or whatever it is today) and although I have loved the design and engineering, the quality, not so much. I do have a 2.7 10sp currently and it has been excellent. I know locally people are tuning them to well over 400HP with minor bolt ons and running the heck out of them in F150s and Fusion Sports. Hopefully the Bronco transmission will prove similarly reliable and “tuneable”. I can also say with certainty, the Bronco ride and drive is light years better than the Jeep. The “392” is lipstick on a pig once you get off the rocks, the only place the SFA is an advantage. It will be fun to see how everything compares “in the wild” if we ever actually get Broncos in our garages. Jeep definitely wins, actually having vehicles you can buy😢
Unfortunately, they have not been running this "powertrain for a few years". The 10R60 transmission was new for 2020 in the Explorer and has been experiencing a lot of problems. :confused:

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When talking about speed and the 392 jeep. Keep in mind that it’s limited to 99mph or so. If it doesn’t hit the limiter before the 1/4 then it’s got a tune. The 1/4 of the 392 is low 13s. I can see a tuned 2.7 badlands hitting that without issues.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What no pic's from Mr. Jones' new ride 📹

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
YES. Opening up the 5.7 HEMI on my Durango R/T is a guaranteed smile. To me it has the perfect exhaust tone straight from the factory.
Yep! 5.7 sounds good!

Sponsored
OP
OP
MJJ

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Without pics or video...

Ford Bronco Neighbor just bought a 392 wrangler lcjWzvc9po5Og6eV4V
Fair criticism. My camera on my I-phone stopped working due to a hardware failure so I couldn’t grab. Picture.

I am sure Zach from Granger can vouch that it is real since he sold it to me neighbor.

Fordmanbob

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 4x4 supercrew, 2006 F350 4x4 superc.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That thing is pretty fast. Guess it reaches death wobble even faster. You do have to hand it to jeep. They did release 2 new jeeps within a few months of announcing them while Ford can barely make a few thousand broncos.
Changing a few parts here and there is a lot easier than producing a new vehicle from the ground up. Suppliers also have to work the bugs out and ramp up production fwiw

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Changing a few parts here and there is a lot easier than producing a new vehicle from the ground up. Suppliers also have to work the bugs out and ramp up production fwiw
Seems like integrating an electric component is more than then just changing a few parts. For the 392 I can see it being easier

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

In the ballpark? You’re not making 140hp on a tune, not even close. Second, horsepower has absolutely nothing to do with how fast a car is, it has to do with how fast the car will go on the top end. Torque is what you’re concerned with and the Bronco with a tune could be about on par with the Wrangler with a tune which is good. But, the 392 is a monster, I know because I own one. The car eats through gears from a standstill, it’s an impressive engine and it’s unbelievable to drive. The V6 in the Bronco will have some turbo lag while the 392 has insane power in any gear at any speed at any RPM. Still excited for the V6 though, it should be fun to drive!
Don't forget that a lot of broncos will be running 4.7 axle gearing while the jeep comes with 3.73. This actually puts the torque at the wheel (once accounting for the transmissions) roughly the same. Add in the full time 4wd in the bronco and you will probably have a good chance of at least matching the jeep in 0-60.

OP
OP
MJJ

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Don't forget that a lot of broncos will be running 4.7 axle gearing while the jeep comes with 3.73. This actually puts the torque at the wheel (once accounting for the transmissions) roughly the same. Add in the full time 4wd in the bronco and you will probably have a good chance of at least matching the jeep in 0-60.
The 3.92 claims 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. The Bronco is not doing that.

Then again 0-60 times are not a selling point for most outdoor adventure rigs.

I have a rubicon today and am still going to do a bronco
Sponsored