Sponsored

Updated: RAKET “Multi-Top” Roof Rack

RAKET Roof Rack Poll….Would you rather have a...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
RAKET

RAKET

Big Bend
First Name
Derick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.raketdesigns.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

@Merle the Bronco

Do you have drawings completed yet? I saw that you asked to speak to a fabricator earlier in the thread, but for what I don’t recall. I can look at some stuff for you, if you’d like.
yes the preliminary drawings are done. A segment will go to a 3D printer, and another will be to two fabricators that will quote out the build. Once we’ve finalized the materials I’ll get a prototype created and share with the group. I’m hoping for a release in 30 days (fingers crossed). Thanks and I appreciate the offer.
Sponsored

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 4-door hard top on the way, and for me this would be competing with the Gobi.
Definitely seems like you're on the right track. Here's what I'm looking for - many of which you're already covering.
  • Needs to be a useful rack regardless of hard/soft top and regardless of if the top is on or no. So essentially, some sort of exo rack.
  • Better dynamic load rating than the factory racks, so again, exo. Equal to or better than Gobi. Personally not planning on a rooftop tent, so I'm not overly concerned with static rating.
  • Enough modularity that a load can be secured only over the cargo area, leaving the forward area open to maintain the open air experience.
  • Minimal disassembly required to remove the soft/hard top.
  • If supporting light mounts, account for the fact that wires will need to be run to the lights. Perhaps some sort of clip-on wiring track/harness.
  • As others have mentioned, no rattling. Honestly, that's going to be a challenge with a lot of individual components.
  • Since this appears intended to be removed/installed in stages or in multiple parts, you can have a serious advantage over other racks in terms of being able to store it more easily when not on the vehicle. Lean into that. If I can store all the parts of the rack on a single large shelf, that's huge.
  • Try to find a couple of widely used types/brands of gear mounts and support them. Spending $2k+ on a rack and then having to spend another $500+ on mounts to actually be able to secure your gear to the rack is a buzzkill. Bungie cords might be fine on pavement, but not off-road. Maybe even offer some molle panels that can be securely mounted. If you use any sort of non-standard or proprietary mount styles, release specs so people can develop (and maybe 3d print) mounts to work with your rack.
  • Echo the lines of the Bronco when possible. If you're going to include branding, which is understandable, keep it subtle or optional. I'm fine with people being able to identify the rack when they have a chance to really look at it, but I don't need to be a billboard on wheels.
  • And finally, start looking for ways to keep shipping costs down now. No one wants to be ready to pull the trigger just to discover shipping is adding another $200+.

OP
OP
RAKET

RAKET

Big Bend
First Name
Derick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.raketdesigns.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have a 4-door hard top on the way, and for me this would be competing with the Gobi.
Definitely seems like you're on the right track. Here's what I'm looking for - many of which you're already covering.
  • Needs to be a useful rack regardless of hard/soft top and regardless of if the top is on or no. So essentially, some sort of exo rack.
  • Better dynamic load rating than the factory racks, so again, exo. Equal to or better than Gobi. Personally not planning on a rooftop tent, so I'm not overly concerned with static rating.
  • Enough modularity that a load can be secured only over the cargo area, leaving the forward area open to maintain the open air experience.
  • If supporting light mounts, account for the fact that wires will need to be run to the lights. Perhaps some sort of clip-on wiring track/harness.
  • As others have mentioned, no rattling. Honestly, that's going to be a challenge with a lot of individual components.
  • Since this appears intended to be removed/installed in stages or in multiple parts, you can have a serious advantage over other racks in terms of being able to store it more easily when not on the vehicle. Lean into that. If I can store all the parts of the rack on a single large shelf, that's huge.
  • Try to find a couple of widely used types/brands of gear mounts and support them. Spending $2k+ on a rack and then having to spend another $500+ on mounts to actually be able to secure your gear to the rack is a buzzkill. Bungie cords might be fine on pavement, but not off-road. Maybe even offer some molle panels that can be securely mounted. If you use any sort of non-standard or proprietary mount styles, release specs so people can develop (and maybe 3d print) mounts to work with your rack.
  • Echo the lines of the Bronco when possible. If you're going to include branding, which is understandable, keep it subtle or optional. I'm fine with people being able to identify the rack when they have a chance to really look at it, but I don't need to be a billboard on wheels.
  • And finally, start looking for ways to keep shipping costs down now. No one wants to be ready to pull the trigger just to discover shipping is adding another $200+.
seriously all great information and the best part…the answer is YES. These are all factors we’ve considered (again I’m a Bronco owner too), so the flexibility behind the design is a top priority. I’m excited to get this on my own vehicle and we’ll market the crap out of it afterwards :). Thanks for all the thought put in to that post.

Bronco-ocnorB

Big Bend
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

once we get numbers I’ll get ricing in place. Thanks.
Appreciate it, and I get it...just trying to put out positive vibes for this. It looks awesome and more in line with what I was thinking. Keep up the good work!

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Low profile crossbars with T-Slots are another must for me! I’d like to be able to use quick release mounts and a majority of them utilize t-slots to aid in stability and again lower profile.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RAKET

RAKET

Big Bend
First Name
Derick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.raketdesigns.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Low profile crossbars with T-Slots are another must for me! I’d like to be able to use quick release mounts and a majority of them utilize t-slots to aid in stability and again lower profile.
yes to the quick release mounts and crossbars, but we haven’t considered T-Slots. To an extent we are being careful with being “too low profile” to limit damage to soft/hardtop material. I hope this can meet what you’re looking for and thank you for the input. Keep them coming.

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

One of the big things vs the Gobi is size...the Bronco is already pretty wide, especially with Sasquatch flares. The Gobi adds more width. Keeping this rack inside the flare width would be great. I always liked the Gobi for the 4Runner, but man the Bronco version is a turn off.

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You should watch Casey250's review of his GOBI rack...

Bemcnamara

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F56S MINI
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hi Derick,
I am a whitewater kayaker, but I also have to fit my bronco in a work garage so with that in mind...
- 500 ish pound static load
- I think modularity would be great. Let people start with a base (described below) and then build up if they want a platform, basket, or other system. By making this removable/customizable this would give you the ability to have basket or lower profile platform.
- This might be selfish as a kayaker, but base option with the back towers towers and just two bars to the front connection points and maybe one crossbar for stiffness. On these bars I would then attach longer cross bars (you could offer these too) to put my boats up there. This would be simple, light to remove and could be the base of the system of baskets/platforms, it also might allow you to come in at a good cost for the base set up. By having a base set up too, one could use it and easily remove it.
- Easy way to raise it to lower the top.

Thanks
Pat
Yes!

OP
OP
RAKET

RAKET

Big Bend
First Name
Derick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.raketdesigns.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You should watch Casey250's review of his GOBI rack...
I have…and the reason for our design strategy. I looked at a Gobi (for myself) and it didn’t fit the streamlined look I wanted for my Bronco. I don’t want to look like I’m going camping 365 days a year, but if I’m planning a trip I can load up a rack with everything…or leave it in the garage in 5 minutes. Again, that’s me and I know there’s a market for that type of look. I know there will be mixed feedback once we release the final plans, but hopefully some will have the same vision as I do :). Thanks for the input and all of the input/ideas will make this rack awesome.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RAKET

RAKET

Big Bend
First Name
Derick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.raketdesigns.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Appreciate it, and I get it...just trying to put out positive vibes for this. It looks awesome and more in line with what I was thinking. Keep up the good work!
Thank you. I wish a quick release of this rack (and info) was beneficial, but I have a feeling the design will get snatched up quickly. Once we have details on the timing, I’ll gladly share what we’ve come up with.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
yes to the quick release mounts and crossbars, but we haven’t considered T-Slots. To an extent we are being careful with being “too low profile” to limit damage to soft/hardtop material. I hope this can meet what you’re looking for and thank you for the input. Keep them coming.
If not T-slot crossbars - the ability to mount Thule or Yakima bars would work too.

OP
OP
RAKET

RAKET

Big Bend
First Name
Derick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.raketdesigns.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

One of the big things vs the Gobi is size...the Bronco is already pretty wide, especially with Sasquatch flares. The Gobi adds more width. Keeping this rack inside the flare width would be great. I always liked the Gobi for the 4Runner, but man the Bronco version is a turn off.
sorry but I just barely saw this. This rack will follow the lines of the Bronco. I understand why Gobi’s design is that way, but we plan on having 72” of basket/rack space. There will be plenty of room without looking bulky. Thank you for the input and stay tuned.

OP
OP
RAKET

RAKET

Big Bend
First Name
Derick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.raketdesigns.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Exciting News - RAKET update 7/10/22

We’ll begin the “fully functioning” prototype development starting next week. This has been an intriguing process and (primarily) its due to making a rack system that is a long term investment for Bronco owners. This will have customizable options that are not available in the market.

Enjoy the short video and keep the ideas/input coming in. Thanks.

Derick
RAKET designs
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.