Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

For those reading this and worrying, remember: if you look for bad news, you can always find it.

There is a poll on another thread here about the reliability of your Bronco. I haven’t looked at it in a few weeks - but last I saw, the vast majority of Bronco owners on this forum are reporting no problems with their Bronco (including me)

Yes, there are lemons out there for every vehicle. I bought a Jeep Cherokee for the wife and within 2 years it was having horrible electrical gremlins. So I traded it in on a newer one (same model) and this one - 4 years down the road - has had ZERO problems so far. It happens.

Lastly, there are those who report a horrible problem here (like the OP)….but then get that problem fixed and never have another problem with the vehicle. We don’t hear from these people as nobody‘s going to waste thread space with constant posts about “another day - no problems - so far so good”

Tend your own garden and be happy. If your Bronco has no problems, stop worrying. If something goes wrong, fix it and stop worrying. If things go wrong “one-after-the-other”…get rid of it. The market is strong for these. Easy to do. So again….why worry?
Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, for everyone that's spooked about their Bronco not being reliable, ask yourself this....with your current or previous new vehicle, how many months or years were you cruising a forum reading everything you could about it?

This is really a tale of risk management, mainly in that we (humans) are bad at understanding risks that happen rarely, while good at ignoring risks that occur frequently.

To wit: You are far more likely to die in a car near your home than in an airplane. By a large factor.

However, we guard ourselves in various ways (my stepmother buys the biggest SUV/trucks she can buy, hoping to survive any wreck, the others be damned) so that we can go about our everyday lives. Sometimes that reality intrudes on us (RE: when the lady infamously wrote in to the car manufacturer in the 60's complaining about sitting on the seatbelts). Generally though we tend not to think about it, because repeated exposure leads us to believe it's manageable.

These forums definitely, definitely overstate the risk of consequences of buying a Bronco and having [fill-in-the-blank] happen that can be scary to think about, while not actually knowing personally. The monster is always scarier in our mind than the horror we see in real life.

There was a book on risk management I read years ago that was great at explaining this, using the law of large numbers (he was an insurance guy). Basically, in small amounts numbers perform one way that we learn to accept, while in large numbers start to behave differently. The play between our ability to comprehend that is the (re)insurance market foretold.

That arbitrage is ultimately what we hope we're buying into, when in reality common things happen commonly, and Ford can't afford for common things to be too expensive (looking at you, hard/soft tops). They are also insured against this inevitably, which really just means they've offset those losses (today) to future earnings (insurance is an offset, not a gamble).

This is in large part why so many American manufacturers struggled in the 90's and 00's, because they almost couldn't afford "planned obsolescence", which was a profit motive and not a market motive. Then Bush let better made cars in in the late 80's and of course "consumers" went, I don't need to replace my car every seven years?

💡 🤔

So yeah, buyer beware. Beware Cassandras but also, in the long run, that Ford will make marketable vehicles long into the future. These forums overrepresent modders and the aggrieved.

At least that's our bet, right?

Last edited:

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Op good to hear it was something not in the engine and a stuck solenoid is something that I think is really a supplier issue and of the thousands of parts hopefully you only got one bad one. I posted earlier that my truck was in the shop yesterday too, the rear view camera wasn't working after 2 weeks. More annoying than critical.

It turned out that when they (factory) plugged the two ends of the connector together one of the pins was bent back and it broke after driving it for two weeks. I'm glad that is was something so simple and yet question the overall quality of a build if someone can't simply plug two ends of a connection together without damaging the connector.

I hope this is the worse thing I/we have to deal with, as others have said we read more about the bad than the good. So far, other than the break-in MPG (it's going up) and wanting to babying it, I love driving my Bronco. 3rd & 4th gear (manual) are the sweet spot for around town, I can't wait for my break-in oil change and when I can really get into it.

I've been trying real hard to be good, but when that guy in a Chevy tried to block my merge on the freeway by punching it, I heard it, I stayed in it a little longer with a little more throttle than I've been doing and WOW, there was no way he was keeping me from merging. Funny thing is I went two lanes over so my merging wasn't going to effect him for more than a second, he was just being a...

Have fun all and enjoy your Bronco.

kgolive

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4 Dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 2023 Badlands with 600 miles on it. About a month ago I tried to remote start the truck and the app gave me an error. Ever since then, my truck cycles power to the ignition throughout the entire day until the battery is dead. The only reason I haven’t taken it in is because it has been in the body shop getting fitted for fiberglass fenders and quarters. But even with no key present the truck will try to turn on all day every day until it’s completely dead. Can’t wait to get it back together so I can get it resolved.

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I hear what you saying, but this is a $35k vehicle that people add $25k of factory options (in the form of different trim levels) to. The fit, finish and build quality don't change just because you add options.

I respect your opinion... just adding a different point of view.
So it’s normal for $35k vehicles to have major failures off the factory floor…if im understanding you correctly?🧐

Sponsored

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've owned 2 BaseSquatch's and currently driving one. Zero problems, lots of enjoyment.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So it’s normal for $35k vehicles to have major failures off the factory floor…if im understanding you correctly?🧐
No, it's normal for a small percentage of them to have major failures off the factory floor. That's because Ford needs to still improve its game on QA. That is the reality of the situation.

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
@WilVis do some more vigorous driving that requires more shifting and use manual mode to give the transmission some good exercise while it’s running in and learning, perhaps that will help with the sticking thingamajig.

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Didn't say that at all... so no, you're not understanding me correctly.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This is really a tale of risk management, mainly in that we (humans) are bad at understanding risks that happen rarely, while good at ignoring risks that occur frequently.
Risk normalization and risk management is something I constantly fight at work. Even when you know the big picture and know how to work out percentages and statistics, you still find yourself going against common sense and logic when something doesn't match expectations. It's something everyone struggles with, and often requires some training and introspection to suppress.

If a salesman were to tell you there's a 145% chance you will experience an issue with your vehicle, you'd probably never buy it...however, that's the likelihood you'll experience a problem with the most dependable vehicle manufacturer in 2022 if you believe what JD Power has to say about it. What isn't reflected in those statistics is whether that problem will be something that doesn't even affect you, like the French version of the infotainment owner's manual has pages that aren't navigable, or if it's something like your engine explodes and everyone dies in a glorious fireball worthy of a Michael Bay movie, or somewhere in between. It's a different set of variables for each vehicle and each manufacturer, all with different potential outcomes.

I view these threads with interest, not to bash Ford or to give me a reason to sell my Bronco, but to see what I might come to expect in the future, how to fix it, and how to potentially prevent it from happening. We all know Ford's QC is questionable from lot to lot, and we all know their choice of parts and materials aren't always the best, sometimes the only way we find that out is to wait for something to break. Everyone here is my buddy because you're all my beta testers working for free :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored

Docindahouze

Base
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2016 Ford F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Similar things have happened to me. I bought a 2012 f250 6.7 diesel brand new. Less than 300 miles if I remember correctly and I get a message on the screen telling me to pull over. Truck was idling and the pedal did nothing. Once I came to a stop it turned off and I was not able to restart it. Had it towed to my local dealership, thankfully it was close by as well as home. This happened at 2:00 am. Anyway I get a call from the dealership at 9:30am telling me it’s retro pick up. Turns out it was a bad egt sensor.
Also I I bought a 2016 f150 3.5 eco boost brand new. Less than a couple of mo this go by and I’m having issues with a dead battery. I thought maybe I left an interior light on or something and then it happened again. So I took it to the same dealership. Eventually they find out one of the control modules was constantly drawing power when I should not have been. They replaced the module and put in a new battery.
thankfully my issues with ford have been small. Fingers crossed I have had any issues with my bronco yet. But it only been a little over two months so far. 😂

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2D Squatch, '67 Bronco, '24 Grenadier -ordered
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

keep in mind that all these car forums have a huge “self selection basis”. If you have a problem your find a forum for that car and ask everyone if they have a the same issue. What it doesn’t take into account is all the owners who don’t have problems and aren’t motivated to join a forum. The data we get on here is not a random sampling and is badly skewed.

My 2022 basesquatch has been perfect. The only thing I’m noticing is the drIver’s window is starting to get loose from hanging on the window seal. I had a BMW with the same issue. In fact, of the 25 plus cars I have owned only a bmw ever went back on lemon law. To BMW’s credit they were amazing to work with and made it so easy. As a result I have owned a few M3’s after that one.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Risk normalization and risk management is something I constantly fight at work. Even when you know the big picture and know how to work out percentages and statistics, you still find yourself going against common sense and logic when something doesn't match expectations. It's something everyone struggles with, and often requires some training and introspection to suppress.
Try explaining to a bunch of country-ass Facilities Maintenance guys that really, NO REALLY, you should let us test for asbestos before you cut into that 80 year old possibly 90% chrysotile asbestos pipe tape that turns to dust from a stiff fart. Fun! They'd hold onto those issues, no kidding, until 4:55pm on Friday then file through our office. Can't stop the work! And then we'd work until 9pm gathering samples and taking them for testing. It wasn't just a pain, it was dangerous, but these guys had up to 50 years doing it that way.

Then a guy they know comes down with asbestosis. Another dies a suffocating death from mesothelioma. And the Facilities management turns over and the new guys don't get it but are willing to work with us.

Took about four years and many meetings, but finally, we got them to let us help them.

It's just not easy sometimes when people are convinced it's not a problem. The opposite of course is thinking everything is the same weight and frequency and anything is bad.

My 2010 Silverado LS I call one of my best trucks, even though it had four recalls and eventually sprang a leak, and oh needed service done a couple times I brought it in. It did it's job: Never left me on the side of the road 500 miles from home. Even in the mountains on half a quart of oil.

✊

jbellousux

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘13 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
9000 miles. Just got back from second trip to CO in it (from Austin); my first winter trip in it.

Drives amazingly well on the road with stock Squatch rubber. Some good wheeling last summer down Padre Island National Seashore and in CO (Ophir & Imogene Passes).
About to make first oil change appointment. Only issue is the Poltergeist light switch.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just hope that my Bronco is nowhere as bad as my 2011 F-150 XL 3.5 Gen I Ecoboost.

In 250k miles and 12 years, I have had to replace one exhaust gasket, an AC compressor, a water pump, brake pads, and the sparks plugs at least twice!

What a piece of crap! 😂
Sponsored