Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We want a competent,capable, reliable offroader, if you want doodads that are useless out in the woods go buy an Escalade. Ford makes pelnty of mall suvs, lets not ruin the Bronco. but thats where its headed.
Craziest thing! Turns out Ford isn't making this truck just to satisfy people who need a utility truck. Instead there doing it to make boat loads of money. You can still buy an old used and capable utility truck for much less. Bonus: no doodads
Sponsored

Broncosaur

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep.....it's gonna be 2021 after all and I'm horrible with computers but I'll learn
I work with them every day all day. I like to get away from them, especially in the car. The top comes off the Bronco, they need to what we call "harden" the display so it can last in the elements. Other wise you'll be replacing the screen on a regular basis and you shouldn't need to use it to operate anything in the car while driving.
With no top you know its going to get soaked with rain and mud occasionally .

Broncosaur

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Craziest thing! Turns out Ford isn't making this truck just to satisfy people who need a utility truck. Instead there doing it to make boat loads of money. You can still buy an old used and capable utility truck for much less. Bonus: no doodads

They will make plenty off money provided we can opt out of the stuff we don't want and order the stuff we do want. But thats not how it works in the car game these days, they pander to a demographic. 45 % want a mall suv the rest want something in between a hard core crawler and luxury suv, but those people get ignored and the Bronco will turn out to be another limp wristed Edge that you want.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They will make plenty off money provided we can opt out of the stuff we don't want and order the stuff we do want. But thats not how it works in the car game these days, they pander to a demographic. 45 % want a mall suv the rest want something in between a hard core crawler and luxury suv, but those people get ignored and the Bronco will turn out to be another limp wristed Edge that you want.
The Jeep Wrangler has a screen in the dash and those whacky engineers somehow figured out how to make it work. I think Ford will be fine. I look forward to my Bronco Edge. Also, it sounds like you've already made up your mind on this thing

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I work with them every day all day. I like to get away from them, especially in the car. ...
Apparently the majority of people here don't care if you have been building computers and coding for longer than they have been alive. If you don't want electric sensors and nannies crammed into every piece of every object you own then you're a cave man or demented oldster in their eyes.

I got bored with trying to explain how ridiculous that perception of the world is a long time ago.

Sponsored

Broncosaur

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I made up my mind a long time ago, Hackett has to go. In order for the Bronco to be a market success it has to be configurable to just about any customers needs. I'm not wrong about what I want for myself,

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I made up my mind a long time ago, Hackett has to go. In order for the Bronco to be a market success it has to be configurable to just about any customers needs. I'm not wrong about what I want for myself,
I’m all for the gadgets, but I’m more for options. It’s asinine to advocate limiting choices.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Apparently the majority of people here don't care if you have been building computers and coding for longer than they have been alive. If you don't want electric sensors and nannies crammed into every piece of every object you own then you're a cave man or demented oldster in their eyes.

I got bored with trying to explain how ridiculous that perception of the world is a long time ago.
Your right. ,I absolutely don't care about that at all. As a software engineer turned engineering manager, I've interviewed plenty of folks with many years of experience who don't know their ass from their elbow. I don't have a clue how good you are or aren't. They've been building a lot of this tech into cars for years and while there are still issues from time to time it's overall fairly stable. I don't remember the last time I watched an off-road fail video, where the person driving says "crap, would've made it up that obstacle if it wasn't for a software bug". Most of the issues these things have off-road are mechanical which makes sense given the beating they get

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I want a nice looking dashboard, not a screen in the middle of everything, I don't want necessary complication in a utility vehicle.
Ford isn't making this truck just to satisfy people who need a utility truck. Instead there doing it to make boat loads of money.
They will make plenty off money provided we can opt out of the stuff we don't want and order the stuff we do want.
If you don't want electric sensors and nannies crammed into every piece of every object you own then you're a cave man or demented oldster in their eyes.
All moot points because the train has already left the station...we just ain't seen it yet.

All auto manufacturers segment their anticipated BUYERS by income/age demographic. Bronco might be priced on the high end for a 'toy', so I hope Ford is catering to the folks who can actually buy it - but their success the past 5 years doesn't make this a foregone conclusion by any means.

Every buyer is unique...for me, I'm looking at Bronco as 'art on wheels'...so I'm a bit concerned by the apparent porkyness...and all this techno-shit will be outdated soon...I expect screens in vehicles will be as common as ashtrays in the not-too-distant future.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Bronco is not a halo vehicle. Ford is not intending to lose money on every one. (any one who knows differently, let me know, I am happy to short their stock), its primary design is exceedingly likely to be intended to generate profits. That is what Ford is in business to do, not make cars/trucks, but to make money. To cut labor costs (their biggest cost per vehicle), they use the same wire harness, frames, most body panels, electronics, ETC. As some people do want the toys. Since the materials are already mostly in the vehicle (and software activated 'options' are in everything), all the do-dads are the most profitable part of the deal. Those profits will actually subsidize those that want a bare-bones truck in my estimation.

Sure, everyone dislikes the crazy packages you have to pay for to get one or two things you actually want, much like auto start/stop, but without the relatively cheap to factory add profit items, the sunk costs in the truck (research, testing, setting up the line, pushing suppliers into incurring expenses to re-tool, opportunity cost by removing another models production capability, and the like) there would be no Bronco (as an aside, Ranger based to me has me adding '2' to the Bronco name, habit I guess)

My lousy Subaru is off pavement maybe 500 miles a year, that's it. Maybe across a shallow dry creek every other year (you can check the damage on my baby skid plate if you like) and on construction sites 250 days a year. I just would like some room to spread out, some higher ground clearance, and enough chops to go play on some off road courses, of relatively easy difficulty just to try it out. I suspect the B2 will be geared to me, essentially mall crawler guy. A modern 4Runner that doesn't rust its frame out after half a dozen Chicago winters. At the stage in my life where my hesitation to drop a sizable bundle on a vehicle is not based on financial limitations, but mental reservations on writing a big check. I am probably pictured in their desired demographic report.

Without me, there would be no Bronco. You're welcome.

(and I suspect in less than a couple years, there will be some hardcore factory stuff models that will be halo for the sub-brand, I don't think Ford will go all Porsche and charge you more to strip out features, but who knows?)

Sponsored

Broncosaur

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All moot points because the train has already left the station...we just ain't seen it yet.

All auto manufacturers segment their anticipated BUYERS by income/age demographic. Bronco might be priced on the high end for a 'toy', so I hope Ford is catering to the folks who can actually buy it - but their success the past 5 years doesn't make this a foregone conclusion by any means.

Every buyer is unique...for me, I'm looking at Bronco as 'art on wheels'...so I'm a bit concerned by the apparent porkyness...and all this techno-shit will be outdated soon...I expect screens in vehicles will be as common as ashtrays in the not-too-distant future.

If they get enough feedback or start listening to people who will actually buy vehicles they might change it. The screen doesn't need to take up so much of the dashboard or it can be hidden or drop the price a couple thousand and not include it. The huge screen in the Mustang was a deal breaker for me. and added 2200 worth of garbage I'll never use

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Everyone who complains about how tech-laden new vehicles are... why don't you go buy a Mahindra Roxor? Literally one of the simplest vehicles that's been made in the past 20 years. And only $15k!

Broncosaur

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m all for the gadgets, but I’m more for options. It’s asinine to advocate limiting choices.

I didn'y say limit stuff, I said not put in features that are not appropriate or force us to accept things we don't want. make them options

Jook13

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki samurai
Your Bronco Model
Base
A lot of the doodads and gadgets and government mandated. Every vehicle needs some sort of screen because backup camera is mandatory. Auto start stop (and V8 decline) are due to stricter epa and cafe requirements. Extra safety junk caused by harsher safety test ratings.
Every instance of government mandated extra adds to cost for things I'd opt out of if I had the choice. Especially safety crap, I guess I live life on the edge now in my samurai.
I've accepted it's out of Ford's hands and moved on. My only hope is the important things have a button, dial, or switch. Volume, heating and ac, ect.... Nothing worse than navigating a screen menu to turn the heat up it change the radio station.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
And only $15k!
You might be prescient...America is only one Black Swan away from needing a good $15K vehicle
Sponsored