First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What I thought.... you can't disprove the Facts.... Having never been sent a SSM or actually reading an original one....other than the one posted here.... if it is for real.... it is irrelevant... have fun my friend...
You have provided zero facts...and nothing to "disprove." The hope is that folks on the forum who are new and who are seeking accurate information will be able to get it, and throwing opinions in just creates confusion.

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Man, are we still beating this horse?
Lol! Yep, I’m a bit guilty………been fun…..but I’m done 😎
Several dead horses on this forum, just like all forums.

Last edited:

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Lol! Yep, I’m a bit guilty………been fun…..but I’m done 😎
Lol… what is the old saying… “my dealer said”… now it is “ my service man says” … I’m done too

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Didn’t I just say “You win!”👍
I am in no way trying to "win" anything. I am just trying to wrap my head around how anyone who initially accepted Ford's 7 quart capacity directives but then when Ford adjusts that capacity to 6 (officially) a number of those very same people think Ford is intentionally misleading all of us.

I, like most of us, wish my pan was in fact designed to hold 7 quarts (especially because I was able to score a Raptor stick right away). Even so, in the spirit of adding a quote to state a point, here's one..."if you wish in one hand, and shit in the other, one of them is going to fill up first."

I would love it if Ford did screw up and if they come back next week with a new SSM and tell us all that it really is 7 quarts...but until then how about sticking to facts? The fact is that the latest information (from Ford) indicates that our 2.7 capacity is 6 quarts. Unfortunately much of this thread (and I am as guilty as most anyone else) has strayed into conspiracy theory territory.

Sponsored

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am in no way trying to "win" anything. I am just trying to wrap my head around how anyone who initially accepted Ford's 7 quart capacity directives but then when Ford adjusts that capacity to 6 (officially) a number of those very same people think Ford is intentionally misleading all of us.

I, like most of us, wish my pan was in fact designed to hold 7 quarts (especially because I was able to score a Raptor stick right away). Even so, in the spirit of adding a quote to state a point, here's one..."if you wish in one hand, and shit in the other, one of them is going to fill up first."

I would love it if Ford did screw up and if they come back next week with a new SSM and tell us all that it really is 7 quarts...but until then how about sticking to facts? The fact is that the latest information (from Ford) indicates that our 2.7 capacity is 6 quarts. Unfortunately much of this thread (and I am as guilty as most anyone else) has strayed into conspiracy theory territory.
Ok, one more:
You don’t take Ford‘s initial fill into consideration at all do you.
It’s cool

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lol… what is the old saying… “my dealer said”… now it is “ my service man says” … I’m done too
Who needs silly things like updated service manuals or SSMs or owner's manuals when they make it up as they go along? I am glad you are such a staunch believer in the outdated editions but hopefully one day you will embrace updates (from Ford).

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You don’t take Ford‘s initial fill into consideration at all do you.
It’s cool
Did you factory fill your engine? I sincerely doubt anyone in this forum has. With either the OEM stick or the new C stick a factory fill of 7.5 would still measure at well above the max line. You and I, who have builds long before the SSM, must have had 7.5 fills. We have yet to hear from anyone who has a build date AFTER the SSM. Until/unless we get feedback from someone who does, or an engine builder who actually fills the 2.7s on the line chimes in, we are just guessing (and we have ZERO control over how much oil goes in at the factory). If the factory is still doing 7.5 quart fills, all the new deliveries that are upcoming will have owners that will complain of overfilling (because the newest sticks going in those engines are designed to measure 6). Why the resistance to simply follow the latest instructions (for oil capacity, not factory fill...)? Not judging or trying to be a tool...just curious. I believe everyone in this forum would love a QA with Ford engineering and the assembly line, but I doubt that will happen...so one would think the most recent information available from Ford wound be the next best thing. I for one am already driving my car with the ever-nagging thought of my engine grenading in LA traffic or miles and miles off the grid due to faulty parts...and an incorrect oil level added to that certainly wouldn't make me any less anxious.

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you factory fill your engine? I sincerely doubt anyone in this forum has. With either the OEM stick or the new C stick a factory fill of 7.5 would still measure at well above the max line. You and I, who have builds long before the SSM, must have had 7.5 fills. We have yet to hear from anyone who has a build date AFTER the SSM. Until/unless we get feedback from someone who does, or an engine builder who actually fills the 2.7s on the line chimes in, we are just guessing (and we have ZERO control over how much oil goes in at the factory). If the factory is still doing 7.5 quart fills, all the new deliveries that are upcoming will have owners that will complain of overfilling (because the newest sticks going in those engines are designed to measure 6). Why the resistance to simply follow the latest instructions (for oil capacity, not factory fill...)? Not judging or trying to be a tool...just curious. I believe everyone in this forum would love a QA with Ford engineering and the assembly line, but I doubt that will happen
Love your dog!
Ford Bronco New correct dipstick (here's part number) solves 2.7L 7-quarts engine oil capacity / maximum fill amount mystery! 🕵🏻‍♂️ 84CD08EF-9BFB-45D8-8FF2-416AC544FA33

Sponsored

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep….that’s Colter. He goes every where with me!
He is awesome...I am jealous if he can ride up front...2 of my larger
Ford Bronco New correct dipstick (here's part number) solves 2.7L 7-quarts engine oil capacity / maximum fill amount mystery! 🕵🏻‍♂️ 20220814_123837
Ford Bronco New correct dipstick (here's part number) solves 2.7L 7-quarts engine oil capacity / maximum fill amount mystery! 🕵🏻‍♂️ IMG_20220702_114705_862
beasts have to ride in back but the Frenchie can ride shotgun).

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
SSM50981: “Following the previously recommended capacity is not necessary, but will not cause any harm to the engine. The initial fill capacity for a new/dry engine remains 7.5 quarts.”

There is no risk in continuing to run the originally recommended capacity, according to Ford… people can feel free to run whichever they desire and have Ford’s blessing to do so!

Now, it’s obviously somewhat difficult to reason about a 7 quart fill with a dipstick that measures 6, so it would be easiest for everyone to adopt the 6-quart fill for consistency with the stick that they’ve already shipped with tens of thousands of Broncos for over a year. Most owners should probably adopt the 6-quart fill for these reasons.

Personally, I’m going to continue to run 7 because:
  • I do my own oil changes, so I won’t have to ask someone else to deviate from default recommendation
  • I have the appropriate dipstick
  • Given that Ford has confirmed either capacity is fine, I view a higher volume of oil as likely to remain cleaner for longer and able to cool better

Last edited:
OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
SSM50981: “Following the previously recommended capacity is not necessary, but will not cause any harm to the engine. The initial fill capacity for a new/dry engine remains 7.5 quarts.”

There is no risk in continuing to run the originally recommended capacity, according to Ford… people can feel free to run whichever they desire and have Ford’s blessing to do so!

Now, it’s obviously somewhat difficult to reason about a 7 quart fill with a dipstick that measures 6, so it would be easiest for everyone to adopt the 6-quart fill for consistency with the stick that they’ve already shipped with tens of thousands of Broncos for over a year. Most owners should probably adopt the 6-quart fill for these reasons.

Personally, I’m going to continue to run 7 because:
  • I do my own oil changes, so I won’t have to ask someone else to deviate from default recommendation
  • I have the appropriate dipstick
  • Given that Ford has confirmed either capacity is fine, I view a higher volume of oil as likely to remain cleaner for longer and able to cool better
I am hoping we eventually get a straight answer from Ford as to what actually created this cluster**** in the first place. If they are actually following their own SSM, and filling the 2.7s with 7.5 quarts from the factory, it will be interesting to find out just how long that will work out for them (given that the level will contradict both the updated manuals and the dipstick they now have in the parts catalog). I wonder if after both the PDFs and HTML version for 2021 and 2022 models are all finally updated to reflect 6 that the an SSM will eventually (covertly) reflect a 6.5 fill.

As for a higher volume of oil cooling better, not necessarily the case...the oil temp is determined by coolant temp and various engine controls, and although more oil may take longer to reach operating temperature 6 or 7 will eventually end up at the same temp. What I am concerned about is that overfilling (especially when wheeling) can contribute to aeration, and/or shearing of the oil if it comes into contact with rotating parts, and aerated/frothy oil does not provide adequate lubrication...and THAT can lead to increased temperatures (and all kinds of other nasty issues). Ford would be the first manufacturer I know of to adopt a "add 6 OR 7" capacity. Technically, however, 6 IS the capacity. None of us do a factory fill, and my guess is they left the SSM with a "won't hurt the engine" clause soneveryone who currently has 7 quarts won't panic and flood the dealers. I also imagine that by updating the manuals and the sticks that Ford expects customers, after the first drain, will follow the updated capacity and then run 6. Totally a guess...but Ford must be going to the trouble of updating everything for a reason (especially because it would have been much easier for them to simply have left things as they were...at 7...and instead of adding another 6 quart stick to have stuck with version number 2 or 3 that very briefly lived in the parts catalog).

Last edited:

dj10024

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX SAS MIC 4dr, 1968 Bronco U15
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs