First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My first oil change today… 4,952 miles… replace with 7 qts… and filter… yes I do my own oil change…. Don’t trust any one but me
Sponsored

Last edited:

Regan

Wildtrak
First Name
Regan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murano and 08 chev Duramax
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am in no way trying to "win" anything. I am just trying to wrap my head around how anyone who initially accepted Ford's 7 quart capacity directives but then when Ford adjusts that capacity to 6 (officially) a number of those very same people think Ford is intentionally misleading all of us.

I, like most of us, wish my pan was in fact designed to hold 7 quarts (especially because I was able to score a Raptor stick right away). Even so, in the spirit of adding a quote to state a point, here's one..."if you wish in one hand, and shit in the other, one of them is going to fill up first."

I would love it if Ford did screw up and if they come back next week with a new SSM and tell us all that it really is 7 quarts...but until then how about sticking to facts? The fact is that the latest information (from Ford) indicates that our 2.7 capacity is 6 quarts. Unfortunately much of this thread (and I am as guilty as most anyone else) has strayed into conspiracy theory territory.
On

Regan

Wildtrak
First Name
Regan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murano and 08 chev Duramax
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well, hoping I would see resolution, but finally changed my own oil. 6.5. Put 6 to start, exactly full, but put in another 1/2. Next oil change maybe know for sure 🤣

dj10024

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX SAS MIC 4dr, 1968 Bronco U15
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Well, hoping I would see resolution, but finally changed my own oil. 6.5. Put 6 to start, exactly full, but put in another 1/2. Next oil change maybe know for sure 🤣
Ditto - did the same last week. 6.5qt for now. My initial oil is getting to the lab for analysis. I'll follow the scheduled maintenance and continue to keep track on the oil quality.

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes C250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did my first oil change today@ 5203 miles. Used Motor-craft filter with AMS 5w30. Installed Ronin Factory fill plug. Also installed the new dip stick, MB3Z-6750-F. With seven quarts it reads right at the full mark on the stick.

Sponsored
OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did my first oil change today@ 5203 miles. Used Motor-craft filter with AMS 5w30. Installed Ronin Factory fill plug. Also installed the new dip stick, MB3Z-6750-F. With seven quarts it reads right at the full mark on the stick.
That stick will read full at 7...but it is not the correct stick for the 2.7. The correct stick for the 2.7 is the C stick...which measures full at 6. You can confirm that by calling any Ford dealer and the parts folks will confirm. The F stick is for the Raptor..

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You don't own a Raptor, do you? Not sure why you keep comparing apples to oranges. Also note that Ford doesn't send SSMs to owners...and because owners don't fill their own engines at the factory, you should stop perseverating about factory oil fill information ( especially because you don't own a Raptor). If you are waiting for a hand-delivered letter (or SSM) from Ford delivered directly to you regarding your oil fill, it ain't gonna happen...so put in 7 or 10 quarts or whatever if you want...but please stop posting misinformation on a forum titled "CORRECT dipstick." I don't expect anyone to believe me, a non-Ford employee...so call your local dealer and ask THEM what the "correct" answer is. You'll find that it will match the SSM and that the C dipstick is correct one for your application (currently). If even that doesn't convince you, run as much oil as you want if it makes you feel better. Your efforts to maintain that the 2.7 capacity is really 7 and not 6 (as Ford has indicated) would be better spent communicating your theory to Ford directly.

Question for you...if 7 is correct, why didn't Ford simply leave the F stick in the parts catalog as the correct stick for the 2.7 (AFTER they went to the trouble of adding it AND another variant of that same 7 quarts stick)? THAT would have been the easiest/cleanest way to do it...NOT sending out an SSM AND pulling those two sticks out of the 2.7 system AND adding yet another stick that measures...SIX quarts (AND changing owner's manuals).
Also BTW...several days ago the 2021 HTML manual still reflected 7 quarts. As of now, however, it has been updated. I even typed in my VIN, and got the same results. If you are soooo caught up on an SSM that isn't even meant for owners, and the factory fill information that also is not intended for owners, I'm not sure why you are so reluctant to refer to the owners manual...the live updated one...that IS intended for owners? Here is what it looks like...currently:

Ford Bronco New correct dipstick (here's part number) solves 2.7L 7-quarts engine oil capacity / maximum fill amount mystery! 🕵🏻‍♂️ Screenshot_20220821-214713_Chrome

Based on THAT, I for one will follow Ford's lead. Even if I don't believe the lastest information is 100% accurate, or I will never know exactly how Ford came up with the new capacity, I have a warranty...and if I need it for anything oil-related at least I was following posted instructions. If you ever need to submit a claim for anything oil-related hopefully things will go your way as you explain to Ford "but the Raptor has an 8-quart factory fill and if I measure my non-Raptor with a Raptor stick I get the right amount" (especially if you choose to add yet ANOTHER half quart as you implied the Raptor should take above).

Last edited:

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just changed my oil Friday. Started with 6 quarts. That put it right between the middle and top of the hash mark.

Still runs just as good as the first time I changed the oil and put 7 quarts in (before the capacity was corrected)

Seems as if Ford was correct in saying it makes no difference if you run 6 or 7. Certainly no reason to add more oil or change the dipstick, just a waste of money at this point 🤷‍♂️

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes C250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t really understand why everyone is stuck on the initial fill amount. Who cares? 99.9% of you will never perform an initial or dry fill for this engine lol

I understand it makes it seems confusing because nobody here knows why it says 7.5, but it makes no difference either way when you’re not doing it 🤷‍♂️

Fill the thing to the top of the dipstick (whatever dipstick you want) after an oil change, and continue to drive it.
To quote Mr. Mom "I'm gonna rip these walls out and uh of course rewire. It yeah you're gonna make it all 220. Yeah 220 221 whatever it takes well you sound like a pretty handy guy." :ROFLMAO:

BBSas

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My first oil change today… 4,952 miles… replace with 7 qts… and filter… yes I do my own oil change…. Don’t trust any one but me

View attachment 375803

View attachment 375804
Just took delivery on 7/19/22 after the long 2 year wait. My owners manual says 7 quarts on the 2.7, this whole situation is frustrating!

Sponsored
OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just took delivery on 7/19/22 after the long 2 year wait. My owners manual says 7 quarts on the 2.7, this whole situation is frustrating!
Paper owners manual not yet updated...it was more than likely printed before the SSM. If your stick has an H on the handle, I imagine you are showing overfilled? Check the HTML version of your manual online and it reflects 6.

pineapple

Black Diamond
First Name
Cass
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Also BTW...several days ago the 2021 HTML manual still reflected 7 quarts. As of now, however, it has been updated. I even typed in my VIN, and got the same results. If you are soooo caught up on an SSM that isn't even meant for owners, and the factory fill information that also is not intended for owners, I'm not sure why you are so reluctant to refer to the owners manual...the live updated one...that IS intended for owners? Here is what it looks like...currently:

Screenshot_20220821-214713_Chrome.jpg
Where are you seeing that out of curiosity? On Ford pass in the HTML version all it says is:
For filling information, please refer to the Capacities and Specifications section of your owner's manual. See Engine Oil Capacity and Specification - 2.3L EcoBoost™.
Nothing for the 2.7. Which we have. And according to the H-labeled dipstick, on the car we took delivery of this week, it only came with about 6 liters in it anyway. Unless we somehow have a magically shorter stick.

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where are you seeing that out of curiosity? On Ford pass in the HTML version all it says is:

Nothing for the 2.7. Which we have. And according to the H-labeled dipstick, on the car we took delivery of this week, it only came with about 6 liters in it anyway. Unless we somehow have a magically shorter stick.
Click here: https://www.ford.com/support/owner-manuals/

Then enter your VIN, then select HTML manual. For mine it indicates 5.7 liters. If yours is showing full with the H stick, Ford must be following the updated capacity.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs