Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For those who have not had a swing gate rear, I know that I have crushed my shins on my FJ when I forget that the hitch is installed. I'm thinking a stock type short receiver with removeable hitch extender or drop hitch is the way to go to clear the spare and save your shins when loading groceries. You probably need the drop hitch for SAS or lifted rigs right? Also, would the longer fixed receiver effect approach angle from the rear?
Sponsored

Southside_Ray

Base
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So for this Bronco "package" I just didn't see the value at all or am I missing something it does add other than a hitch and wiring?
It adds nothing but more money to the total.

I haven't seen a compatible aftermarket 7 pin connector yet, so that's the only thing that package has going for it, but I doubt that will last long.

Save money & get the aftermarket hitch.

OP
OP
bytheway

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Definitely like the extended receiver tube. Do you see DrawTite eventually selling a plug and play trailer wiring system for the Bronco? The hitch part seems pretty straight forward but the wiring seems a little sketchy. Although I have done it plenty in the past, I'm not into splicing into wiring and running wires to the battery as some as done to wire up the Bronco.
It's been mentioned in other posts, but the Ford taillights use PWM to trigger the lights. I installed the "factory" 4 pin and saw no way to make a "plug and play" adapter work. It needs to convert the PWM to a 12V signal the trailer can "use". At minimum it will need a 12v power supply and to grab the signal from the right rear signal. Both of those are not in the "factory" light wiring that goes to the left rear of the Bronco. The 4 pin wiring was a bit of a PITA, but nothing too complicated (Flip form the forum sent me his prototype wiring kit that did make it easier).

I like the extended receiver, I have an extension on mine right now. I think I would rather have it removeable for better departure angle off road and less shin pain when not in use. The added capacity is nice for sure too, although my initial pan to upgrade the hitch and exceed the capacity rating isn't a consideration after seeing how "soft" the rear suspension is in practice.

Deano Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's been mentioned in other posts, but the Ford taillights use PWM to trigger the lights. I installed the "factory" 4 pin and saw no way to make a "plug and play" adapter work. It needs to convert the PWM to a 12V signal the trailer can "use". At minimum it will need a 12v power supply and to grab the signal from the right rear signal. Both of those are not in the "factory" light wiring that goes to the left rear of the Bronco. The 4 pin wiring was a bit of a PITA, but nothing too complicated (Flip form the forum sent me his prototype wiring kit that did make it easier).

I like the extended receiver, I have an extension on mine right now. I think I would rather have it removeable for better departure angle off road and less shin pain when not in use. The added capacity is nice for sure too, although my initial pan to upgrade the hitch and exceed the capacity rating isn't a consideration after seeing how "soft" the rear suspension is in practice.
Thanks for the info.
I've read some of the wiring threads and there just seems like there should be a better way. I don't know anything about how PWM triggers the lights and maybe that's why I think there's another way of doing it. Oh well, I'll do some more reading and won't shit up this thread on the subject. :)

Sponsored

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure about extended tube, when loading rear storage area with gate open this could be a real shinbone killer. After all, you can't even open back hatch without opening gate so it would always be in the way.
Hummmm..... If @Ford Motor Company would not have Copied the Jeep's (swinging gate), this would have been a much lesser issue......

(y)Great Job @Ford Motor Company!!! (yes.... the Great Job part was Sarcasm.......)

Last edited:

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
While the factory hitch requires the bumper removal, it does appear to have an extended back plate and wiring socket mount.
By these pics, Draw-Tite appears to provide a small wiring mount clip
My Curt 13493 does not have a clean mounting clip for a socket. For reference ,the receiver end sits back about an 1/2" from the bumper. With a 7" extension the hitch pin center is still 5 1/2" (+/- ) in from the SAS tire edge.

Thurmy7

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban, Tacoma, Patriot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ordered the CURT #C76WR from etrailer. Won't arrive until early November allegedly, but has a regular/short hitch tube which won't hurt much on the departure angle. I have an extension already to use with the hitch when needed.

c76WR | etrailer.com

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
I ordered the CURT #C76WR from etrailer. Won't arrive until early November allegedly, but has a regular/short hitch tube which won't hurt much on the departure angle. I have an extension already to use with the hitch when needed.

c76WR | etrailer.com
That’s the Curt 13493. $ 112 with free shipping at RealTruck.com

Sponsored

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

c76WR | etrailer.com
I'd go ahead and cancel that order from etrailer. They are double the cost of other sites which are readily available. If you open the install instructions for C76WR it's just a renumbered curt 13493. I just ordered a 13493 for under $120.

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Thurmy7

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd go ahead and cancel that order from etrailer. They are double the cost of other sites which are readily available. If you open the install instructions for C76WR it's just a renumbered curt 13493. I just ordered a 13493 for under $120.
Thanks for the tip. Looks like a few different places have the 13493 at a much lower cost, but nobody with stock just yet. Zoro was only $113 and Jegs has it listed for $147. Gonna try Zoro. Thanks!

Thurmy7

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Much cheaper here: https://realtruck.com/p/curt-class-iii-trailer-hitch/v/ford/bronco/2021/ Click on “select bed” then click on “all beds” on drop down menu to see it.
I saw the price on Real Truck as well and seems like it's the lowest. I called to check stock and they said it's not currently in stock and they couldn't say when it would be in stock (even though website says 9/30 - 10/5). I don't mind paying the extra to etrailer if they get the stock first, but no guarantee really who's going to get stock first.

CooterBrownATX

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
AutoZone has the CRT-13493 for $89 on their website but their fit tool says it doesn’t fit the Bronco.
Sponsored