Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Bullitt, '01 Boxster, '87 TBird Turbo Coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nahh Im not interested.
I love the DIY adventure of cutting twice, thrice, mis-crimps, guesswork, big bright sparks, hours of googling, YouTube, begging for help on forums, blood and the colorful language it brings forth from my tongue.

You can keep your fancy plug and play toys.... :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored

Hossamus Prime

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
21 BadSquatch,ā€˜21 ExplorerST , RIP 84 & 90 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do y'all have installation instructions or video anywhere?

OP
OP
SPVPARTS

SPVPARTS

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
specialtyperformanceparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor/Bronco/Mach E
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I missed the part where you mentioned using the headlights bright circuit to trigger/power driving lights.
I hear from several people that ask about doing that actually.
We never put a kit together for that. I generally talk people out of that because you really have no control. There is essentially no way to turn them on without the brights.
It can be complex as well. Here is the main reason using the brights as a trigger for other lights is an issue. It isnā€™t a simple on/off switch for brights or dims. The brights now are computer controlled. Think about this. The automatic bright dim feature. When you have the headlights/brights set to automatic. When a car drives toward you. The truck turns the brights off. Then when clear, back on. This isnā€™t a switch. Itā€™s computer controlled. I believe it is based on voltage. Therefore. If you are trying to tap off of a computer controlled wire, you will have problems.
There are certainly other ways to most likely accomplish a similar setup. But personally, I wouldnā€™t try to tap into the bright circuit.

John
I would love to have my white SAE driving lights controlled by the auto high beam circuit. I would control the lights on and off by adding a relay that pulled terminal 30 off the upfitter harness and terminal 86 from the computer controlled high beam circuit. I was looking for some sort of inductive coil switched relay I could use for this, but Iā€™m not sure it exists. Too bad we donā€™t have the plow wiring like a Superduty to tap all the factory light outputs.

I like this.

Someone figure out how to make any additional lighting work with zone lighting. Rock lights, ditch lights, light bars, spot lights, etc.
My rear bumper mounted backup lights are wired to a hotshot offroad adapter that connects to the factory trailer wiring. I added another wire to the adapter for the running lights. The red backlighting and reverse lighting work perfectly with the truck lights, also the reverse lighting activates with the zone lighting from my phone. I did not wire the white reverse lighting to an upfitter switch, but could in the future with a diode to prevent backfeed into the trailer harness. In the future I may also run a wire from the trailer harness adapter to the orange backlighting on the front bumper lights. For now those are on aux 6 that I leave on all the time.

The zone lighting for other zones requires tapping the appropriate circuit, but that BCM issue concerns me enough that I wonā€™t attempt.

Sponsored

History

Raptor
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Great news.

I canā€™t recommend Specialty Performance Parts enough. I recently was able to purchase and receive a pair of baja design LP6 from them in 2 days. I had been in the supply chain drop ship merry go round process w two other vendors for several months w no product ever received.

SPP is one of the few merchants out there that have many of the tough to find items in inventory in stock and ready to ship. Def check them out.
I second this sentiment, the customer service is second to none. Texted with me and talked with me on the phone to make sure I understood everything. Highly recommend.

dsco

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

can't wait to buy my lights from SPV. you can tell by the customer testimonials, product descriptions, and reviews (with SPV responses!) that these folks know their stuff, care about customers getting the right product, and provide great service. Take my money, and thank you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SPVPARTS

SPVPARTS

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
can't wait to buy my lights from SPV. you can tell by the customer testimonials, product descriptions, and reviews (with SPV responses!) that these folks know their stuff, care about customers getting the right product, and provide great service. Take my money, and thank you.
Thanks! That's our number one goal!

OP
OP
SPVPARTS

SPVPARTS

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would love to have my white SAE driving lights controlled by the auto high beam circuit. I would control the lights on and off by adding a relay that pulled terminal 30 off the upfitter harness and terminal 86 from the computer controlled high beam circuit. I was looking for some sort of inductive coil switched relay I could use for this, but Iā€™m not sure it exists. Too bad we donā€™t have the plow wiring like a Superduty to tap all the factory light outputs.

My rear bumper mounted backup lights are wired to a hotshot offroad adapter that connects to the factory trailer wiring. I added another wire to the adapter for the running lights. The red backlighting and reverse lighting work perfectly with the truck lights, also the reverse lighting activates with the zone lighting from my phone. I did not wire the white reverse lighting to an upfitter switch, but could in the future with a diode to prevent backfeed into the trailer harness. In the future I may also run a wire from the trailer harness adapter to the orange backlighting on the front bumper lights. For now those are on aux 6 that I leave on all the time.

The zone lighting for other zones requires tapping the appropriate circuit, but that BCM issue concerns me enough that I wonā€™t attempt.
On the headlight question, it can be done. Its a very common question. However, often times people don't think too deeply about how they never have any control to turn them off or on in any instant without the high beams.

As far as a relay. Any relay will work as a trigger. The one trigger wire from the relay would need to go to the wire that triggers the high beams on the headlight. It would then trigger the relay to pull power from the battery. We have headlight adapters, but we only access the Parking lights with them for our harnesses.

On the rear lights. We have diodes built into our tail light adapters so they don't backfeed.

John

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On the headlight question, it can be done. Its a very common question. However, often times people don't think too deeply about how they never have any control to turn them off or on in any instant without the high beams.

As far as a relay. Any relay will work as a trigger. The one trigger wire from the relay would need to go to the wire that triggers the high beams on the headlight. It would then trigger the relay to pull power from the battery. We have headlight adapters, but we only access the Parking lights with them for our harnesses.

On the rear lights. We have diodes built into our tail light adapters so they don't backfeed.

John
Pulling the trigger from the high beam wire was bricking some BCMā€™s on the Gen 2 Raptors, and I suspect the Bronco could have the same issue with the LED headlights. Iā€™m looking for a way to pull a high beam trigger without tapping that wire. Maybe a high beam relay that is designed to provide an additional separately powered trigger for auxiliary high beams or an inductive trigger that wouldnā€™t draw power from the high beam circuit. Time will tell if the Bronco has the same issue as the Raptor.

Ford Bronco New Fog Light Kits with Rigid, Baja Designs and Diode Dynamics with Plug N Play Harnesses. 098B4C93-56CC-4AD5-94B7-E733B0728A16

Sponsored
OP
OP
SPVPARTS

SPVPARTS

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Pulling the trigger from the high beam wire was bricking some BCMā€™s on the Gen 2 Raptors, and I suspect the Bronco could have the same issue with the LED headlights. Iā€™m looking for a way to pull a high beam trigger without tapping that wire. Maybe a high beam relay that is designed to provide an additional separately powered trigger for auxiliary high beams or an inductive trigger that wouldnā€™t draw power from the high beam circuit. Time will tell if the Bronco has the same issue as the Raptor.

Ford Bronco New Fog Light Kits with Rigid, Baja Designs and Diode Dynamics with Plug N Play Harnesses. 098B4C93-56CC-4AD5-94B7-E733B0728A16
Yes, you would never want to access the factory circuits like that for HIGH POWER draw lights without a relay. A relay draws power from the battery. It only barely draws trigger power through the trigger wire.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, you would never want to access the factory circuits like that for HIGH POWER draw lights without a relay. A relay draws power from the battery. It only barely draws trigger power through the trigger wire.
The summary on the Raptor forum was that even the relay trigger wire was enough to cause the BCM problem. Nobody over there was trying to power the lights directly off the high beam circuit without a relay.

OP
OP
SPVPARTS

SPVPARTS

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The summary on the Raptor forum was that even the relay trigger wire was enough to cause the BCM problem. Nobody over there was trying to power the lights directly off the high beam circuit without a relay.
Hmm.. hard to say. It doesnā€™t make sense to me? But I havenā€™t tried it personally. So there may be some merit? I just couldnā€™t imagine why the system would be that sensitive to brick with using a relay trigger to access anything. When I say this, I am just guessing. I didnā€™t read those posts on that over there or speak to who had the issue. It could be totally legit. Just from experience, when I have heard anything similar in the past, it has often been something the person has installed in error. Meaning maybe they cut a wire. Or grounded a factory circuit they shouldnā€™t have, or pulled a pin loose. Again, I am just throwing out guesses from things I have seen in the past.
to put some perspective on this. I have personally spoken to a couple people who mistakenly grounded the wire from our tail light adapter that powers the tail/running light because they thought they needed to cut off the connector and bolt it down? It sounds far fetched because most would assume if there is a connector, you wouldnā€™t need to cut it off and ground it. The result was the computer shutting off the the tail light circuit. It didnā€™t blow the fuse. The computer shut off the circuit. However, when going through the steps and backtracking what they did. Once they removed the ground wire. Then shut the truck off and turned it back on. It all reset. In the worse case, if it would t reset, you would disconnect the negative battery cable for 5 minutes and reconnect. Everything in the PCM would reset. So to brick a computer module. Not blow a fuse. And to do it simply by accessing a high beam wire for a trigger through a relay doesnā€™t make a lot of sense.

I personally wouldnā€™t use the high beam trigger though as I stated, because you have zero control to turn the lights on and off unless the brights are on.
on a side note, there is a possibly though that people are not looking at this from the correct angle, and I havenā€™t personally dived into it to test anything. Here is one theory. These are LED headlights. The high beams are electronic. Think of the ā€œauto high beamā€ feature and how the brights can turn on and off. The PCM controls that. So you may not be dealing with a situation where this wire does this and that wire does that. It may need to be approached more in the manor of a computer, where signals or exact voltage is sent to trigger the circuits in the lights themselves to perform in different ways. This would make a little more sense and I have mentioned that as well to people who have considered the high beam trigger in the past. So it may be a Pandoraā€™s box scenario. Some things are better left alone. Iā€™d need to get in there and test some things to verify. Or see some Ford schematics on the headlight assembly. Even if that were the case. I would think when the foreign connection was removed and the assembly put back to normal. The headlight operation would return to normal.

John

bronco_billy

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crown Vic
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just finished a little weekend project using SPV lights and harnesses. John and team are the best, highly recommend!
Ford Bronco New Fog Light Kits with Rigid, Baja Designs and Diode Dynamics with Plug N Play Harnesses. 1CE43E4B-D848-4069-960D-9186C336C5F3
Ford Bronco New Fog Light Kits with Rigid, Baja Designs and Diode Dynamics with Plug N Play Harnesses. 9ADD9C8F-3927-4010-A536-AA817006DF41
Ford Bronco New Fog Light Kits with Rigid, Baja Designs and Diode Dynamics with Plug N Play Harnesses. DCFCB392-5149-4813-A4E4-6401B71BB1A4
Ford Bronco New Fog Light Kits with Rigid, Baja Designs and Diode Dynamics with Plug N Play Harnesses. 73477D54-9F5D-4B4B-AD2E-FAB6231A358F

OP
OP
SPVPARTS

SPVPARTS

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just finished a little weekend project using SPV lights and harnesses. John and team are the best, highly recommend!​
Ford Bronco New Fog Light Kits with Rigid, Baja Designs and Diode Dynamics with Plug N Play Harnesses. 73477D54-9F5D-4B4B-AD2E-FAB6231A358F
Thanks so much! They look great!!

John
Sponsored