Broncowski

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Seems that a lot of people feel like I do. As much as I love how the B6G renderings look, it's missing a real crucial element - a removable top. Most people seem to think it needs one because of heritage reasons - that the Bronco is defined by it.

I think it needs a removable top because its very success depends on this one feature. I'm convinced it was the lack of a removable top that doomed the FJ Cruiser and Nissan Xterra. Those cars were meant to go after the Jeep Wrangler but I think they failed to recognize how important a removable top is to Wrangler owners. Ask any Wrangler owner you know and they'll confirm this.

So Ford if you're reading this... please don't make the same mistake. Make sure to give the 6G Broncoa removable top! Its success depends on it.
Sponsored

Moniturr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette C7
Here here. I think the success of the Bronco depends on it. If it comes with a static hard top it'll just be another SUV and you can expect Jeep to continue to dominate the segment.

tie2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If it looks anything like the render, I'd be very interested in picking one up, if it comes with a removable top I'm sold, no question. I'll be getting one.

wiggy

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Taurus
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Couldn't agree more with the OP. If you think about it a true sport "utility" vehicle with a fixed top is just dumb. Being able to remove the top adds so much actual utility, not to mention enjoyment.

One thing I am worried about tho... hopefully the 2020 Bronco won't be fixed top only due to crash or rollover safety requirements.

Majnaurd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Focus, '01 F150, '80 Bronco, '01 zx2, '08 Town &Country
Would be awesome to see this with a removable top!! Riding with the top off on my '80 Bronco is exhilarating!!

Sponsored

Kris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Fusion
Would be awesome to see this with a removable top!! Riding with the top off on my '80 Bronco is exhilarating!!
Yea if you're off roading on a tail somewhere the last thing you want to be is feel cooped up in a dark cabin. Feeling the elements in your cabin adds so much to the experience of being in a tough SUV.

capitbull

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F250 CC SB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There's ZERO chance it wont have some kind of removable top. EVERY Bronco ever made had a top that was at least partially removable. the 66-77 Broncos the entire roof came off. During this time there were actually two versions - the "Family Top" which was a full top and the Half Cab top which fit over just the front seats leaving the back/bed to become a tiny open bed.

In '78 the Bronco got a removable portion of the top constructed of fiberglass after it became a full size truck. The back seat and bed were open air while everything else including the steel portion of the roof above the front seats was not. This design stayed until production ended in '96.

Not to mention the '04 Bronco concept has a removable rear portion of the roof. So the question is not IF but WHICH portion of the roof will be removable. Hopefully they design a fully removable roof so they don't hand that selling point to the Wrangler.

DNor

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G37
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If no removable hard top, it better still have a pickup style tailgate with power rear glass. My $.02

Mustang313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (s197)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Seems that a lot of people feel like I do. As much as I love how the B6G renderings look, it's missing a real crucial element - a removable top. Most people seem to think it needs one because of heritage reasons - that the Bronco is defined by it.

I think it needs a removable top because its very success depends on this one feature. I'm convinced it was the lack of a removable top that doomed the FJ Cruiser and Nissan Xterra. Those cars were meant to go after the Jeep Wrangler but I think they failed to recognize how important a removable top is to Wrangler owners. Ask any Wrangler owner you know and they'll confirm this.

So Ford if you're reading this... please don't make the same mistake. Make sure to give the 6G Broncoa removable top! Its success depends on it.
Not only would they be doing disservice to the Bronco legacy by going without a removable top, but they'd be missing out on a huge opportunity to steal sales from Jeep. Rumors and spy pics show that the next Wrangler coming in 2018 may not have a full open top design anymore and there may be a permanent roof structure. So Jeep has given Ford a golden chance to steal some of its thunder!

fourbyfour

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Armada
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Not only would they be doing disservice to the Bronco legacy by going without a removable top, but they'd be missing out on a huge opportunity to steal sales from Jeep. Rumors and spy pics show that the next Wrangler coming in 2018 may not have a full open top design anymore and there may be a permanent roof structure. So Jeep has given Ford a golden chance to steal some of its thunder!
I doubt Jeep will completely abandon its open air motoring experience. They know that's a bit part of what draws its fans to the car. The permanent roof structure is probably a result of rollover protection regulations so I doubt the new Bronco will be able to go full topless design like the current Wrangler. At best, hopefully it'll be fitted with a light roof structure that has large removable roof and windows that leaves little roof structure remaining.

Sponsored

Mustang313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (s197)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Why not go with the sport bar design that has worked so well for Jeep?

OP
OP

Broncowski

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why not go with the sport bar design that has worked so well for Jeep?
Rumor is the next Wrangler won't have a sport bar but a solid roof structure that may or may not be removable. All those crash rollover regulations are catching up and it's getting more and more expensive to build convertibles. It'll be a sad day if Ford releases a Bronco with a completely fixed roof.

stilup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford Expedition
I have a problem with the frame filling with sand and the rocker panels too. An efficient way to clean them out or better yet not allow the frame to fill would be great for us beach roamers.
here's another idea, how about some flip exterior weather proof speakers built in then tail gate.

Last edited:

Tommmay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MINI Countryman
Rumor is the next Wrangler won't have a sport bar but a solid roof structure that may or may not be removable. All those crash rollover regulations are catching up and it's getting more and more expensive to build convertibles. It'll be a sad day if Ford releases a Bronco with a completely fixed roof.
That solid roof structure might look something like this. Pics are of an old concept model for the next gen Wrangler but clearly shows that FCA was considering a fixed roof with removable roof panels and side windows for upcoming Wrangler.

If the Bronco can somehow avoid a solid roof structure it can set itself apart as the only remaining BOF off-road SUV with a true open air design.

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}
Sponsored