New Ford Patents Reveal Door Hinge/Latch for Removable Doors And Door Opening Restraint for 2021 Bronco!

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'96/'97 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L, '92 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.5TD, '15 VW Golf TDI
I definitely hope the Bronco doors are removable without tools as the several patents we've seen so far would imply.

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'96/'97 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L, '92 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.5TD, '15 VW Golf TDI
That's kind of hillarious.

JimmyDean

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
ok, so, there was a similar patent about a year ago, looks like a few engineering changes to the design.

But basically, a tool-less door removal.
Doors cannot be removed if the truck is upside down (or doors cannot come off if upside down...)
And an auto extending door crash-bar for when in a high speed crash with doors off to keep people inside the truck?

Paint

First Name
Jack
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
ok, so, there was a similar patent about a year ago, looks like a few engineering changes to the design.

Doors cannot be removed if the truck is upside down (or doors cannot come off if upside down...)
And an auto extending door crash-bar for when in a high speed crash with doors off to keep people inside the truck?

Is it a bar or a semi-rigid airbag? When it's shown as deployed, the airbags in the truck are inflated and it looks like an accordian.

Either way...That's pretty f'n pimp.

rmc523

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

I was trying to figure out if it was supposed to be auto extending or if it's a manual one that passengers can use if they take the doors off. My guess is the latter - imagine if they have an auto extending one and a limb happens to be in the way of this projectile extended panel that rapidly shoots across the door opening - you'll lose a limb.

Paint

First Name
Jack
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
I was trying to figure out if it was supposed to be auto extending or if it's a manual one that passengers can use if they take the doors off. My guess is the latter - imagine if they have an auto extending one and a limb happens to be in the way of this projectile extended panel that rapidly shoots across the door opening - you'll lose a limb.
Not if it's soft. Like an airbag.

Jalisurr

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evolution, '09 Corvette Z06, '08 ZX-6R
Vehicle Showcase
Not if it's soft. Like an airbag.
Airbags are very not-soft when they are initially deploying, that's why sitting too close to one is dangerous...I certainly wouldn't want a limb to be in the way of one.

Paint

First Name
Jack
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Airbags are very not-soft when they are initially deploying, that's why sitting too close to one is dangerous...I certainly wouldn't want a limb to be in the way of one.
Having been intimate with a couple , I know how hard they are lol.

But if they're slightly flexible and still inflating...They would be less damaging to your arm than say...A Bronco rolling over it.

BroncoBoy22

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome Topnotch! Good to see you over here! I been on mustangsource for the 2011 stang debut, M6G for S550 debut and refresh, and now here for the Bronco

Adk_st

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14' Focus ST '57 CHEVY 6400
That's still one of my favorite renders. Particularly in that green. C'mon Ford. Show us the goods already!