Sponsored

New Ford Patents Reveal Door Hinge/Latch for Removable Doors And Door Opening Restraint for 2021 Bronco!

Sponsored

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
ok, so, there was a similar patent about a year ago, looks like a few engineering changes to the design.

But basically, a tool-less door removal.
Doors cannot be removed if the truck is upside down (or doors cannot come off if upside down...)
And an auto extending door crash-bar for when in a high speed crash with doors off to keep people inside the truck?

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
ok, so, there was a similar patent about a year ago, looks like a few engineering changes to the design.

Doors cannot be removed if the truck is upside down (or doors cannot come off if upside down...)
And an auto extending door crash-bar for when in a high speed crash with doors off to keep people inside the truck?

Is it a bar or a semi-rigid airbag? When it's shown as deployed, the airbags in the truck are inflated and it looks like an accordian.

Either way...That's pretty f'n pimp.

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was trying to figure out if it was supposed to be auto extending or if it's a manual one that passengers can use if they take the doors off. My guess is the latter - imagine if they have an auto extending one and a limb happens to be in the way of this projectile extended panel that rapidly shoots across the door opening - you'll lose a limb.

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I was trying to figure out if it was supposed to be auto extending or if it's a manual one that passengers can use if they take the doors off. My guess is the latter - imagine if they have an auto extending one and a limb happens to be in the way of this projectile extended panel that rapidly shoots across the door opening - you'll lose a limb.
Not if it's soft. Like an airbag.

Sponsored

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not if it's soft. Like an airbag.
Airbags are very not-soft when they are initially deploying, that's why sitting too close to one is dangerous...I certainly wouldn't want a limb to be in the way of one.

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Airbags are very not-soft when they are initially deploying, that's why sitting too close to one is dangerous...I certainly wouldn't want a limb to be in the way of one.
Having been intimate with a couple , I know how hard they are lol.

But if they're slightly flexible and still inflating...They would be less damaging to your arm than say...A Bronco rolling over it.

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Welcome Topnotch! Good to see you over here! I been on mustangsource for the 2011 stang debut, M6G for S550 debut and refresh, and now here for the Bronco

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Welcome Topnotch! Good to see you over here! I been on mustangsource for the 2011 stang debut, M6G for S550 debut and refresh, and now here for the Bronco
I have a feeling we will be overloaded with information soon.

Adk_st

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Toyota 4runner TRD Pro '57 CHEVY 6400
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
That's still one of my favorite renders. Particularly in that green. C'mon Ford. Show us the goods already!
Sponsored