First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
NEW Small Bronco-Explorer/Ranger based....
NEW Large Bronco-F150 based...

Just like 25 years ago. Or is it? I hope it is. Would love a full -size 2 door Bronco with a 5.0., just like I drove in the 80's.

Ford has some holes to fill since they apparently no longer want to build cars besides the Mustang and Ford GT.
The mule is not a Bronco.
Sponsored

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Big bronco isn’t happening.
All I’ll say this that Ford was testing a short bed/ single cab raptor for a reason. That’s completely 100% unrelated to the Bronco.
The mule is not a Bronco.
Well F me sideways. What a bunch of crankshaft teases Ford is. What the shit is the point of this thing!? Just to blue balls us. Did they not think we wouldn't run with this and make our own outlandish conclusions. I'm emotionally scarred now. I didn't even want a full size but if they made one I would have bought two Broncos. One T6 and one FS but I guess I'll keep my money now and not go homeless. So there's that.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

BigHogFan

Outer Banks
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F-150 Lariat Sport Race Red FX4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Something to think about.... I’ve been reading all the comments and speculation on what we’re getting. And here’s something to think about! First off! Have we seen a “baby bronco” test mule? Anything based on the escape? I haven’t seen anything that makes me think, “Ok, that’s it!” So when Ford says that the Bronco will be based on the T6 Platform they mean it.... at least that one is anyway!

Why in the world would they make both though? Think about A Full-size vehicle that you can remove the doors off of. You know, a big one with the big V8 that can pull a boat, 4 wheelers and you can actually use is for stuff like that. This vehicle doesn’t exist right now. How many modified Ford full size Broncos are running around everywhere? Imagine if Ford built an F-150 based Bronco with removable doors and top. With the coyote in it! That would be sweet! Everyone keeps saying no but yet Ford keeps doing it. Did anyone see Ford building a 7.3 liter big block pushrod V8 again? Nope, But yet they did it! What about A 700 hp Mustang? But it’s coming! I don’t think it’s that far fetched to see a line up of Broncos for every size. Escape based, ranger based and F-150 based. If they make every one of them with removable doors and tops and stay true to the off-roading roots of the original Bronco they’ll have a huge hit on their hands. If they muck it up and build just another street bound crossover, it will fail miserably! Come on Ford.... pull the trigger on it! You’ll be the only contender in a full-size two door removable doors and top sport utility race!!!!

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I like your enthusiasm BigHogFan, the problem is that a “big bronco” would not be all that good at being a truck. At this point the limiting factor for tow capacity with a vehicle like that would be weight and wheelbase, along with the off-road tuned suspension, not engine. For an example, compare how bad the Raptors tow capacity is vs the rest of the F-150 lineup even though it has a far more powerful engine. The short Bronco wheelbase and lighter weight vs the F-150 would mean a full sized bronco would probably not be much better than a ranger-bronco at towing. IMO the rise of the crew cab pickup means there will not be a full size bronco.

Sponsored

BigHogFan

Outer Banks
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F-150 Lariat Sport Race Red FX4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I like your enthusiasm BigHogFan, the problem is that a “big bronco” would not be all that good at being a truck. At this point the limiting factor for tow capacity with a vehicle like that would be weight and wheelbase, along with the off-road tuned suspension, not engine. For an example, compare how bad the Raptors tow capacity is vs the rest of the F-150 lineup even though it has a far more powerful engine. The short Bronco wheelbase and lighter weight vs the F-150 would mean a full sized bronco would probably not be much better than a ranger-bronco at towing. IMO the rise of the crew cab pickup means there will not be a full size bronco.
It wouldn’t be that great at being a truck but it would be a heckuva lot better at towing a boat than a Jeep Wrangler. Every weekend I used to have my 1996 Ford Bronco with the 5.8 liter hooked to my 20 ft Glastron headed to the lake. Just imagine if it had a removable top and doors. It doesn’t need to tow what a Powerstroke Diesel will tow because that’s not what it’s for. But it had a 7000 pound tow rating back then. There is no way on planet earth you could hook anything as big as a boat to a Jeep Wrangler and load it down and go to the lake like this. My point is there’s a market for it I promise you! Matter of fact, I want a Race Red 4x4 with black interior and the Coyote V8 in it! When can I pick mine up?

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It wouldn’t be that great at being a truck but it would be a heckuva lot better at towing a boat than a Jeep Wrangler. Every weekend I used to have my 1996 Ford Bronco with the 5.8 liter hooked to my 20 ft Glastron headed to the lake. Just imagine if it had a removable top and doors. It doesn’t need to tow what a Powerstroke Diesel will tow because that’s not what it’s for. But it had a 7000 pound tow rating back then. There is no way on planet earth you could hook anything as big as a boat to a Jeep Wrangler and load it down and go to the lake like this. My point is there’s a market for it I promise you! Matter of fact, I want a Race Red 4x4 with black interior and the Coyote V8 in it! When can I pick mine up?
The market was small in 96, still is. No one wants 2 door trucks. I get it you do,
but the world doesn't. LOVE my FSB's, but I would not want another 2 door new
(unless it was a harder core offroad build, then I wouldn't care). I'd like the rear doors
to be small, suicide, and unseen, but I want them there.

BONESTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning, Mach 1, Falcon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Nope. I have no interest in a four door Bronco. To me it's blasphemy, like a four door Mustang. Gross. Just get an Escape.

Bronco II

Black Diamond
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost50 Year Appearance Package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nope. I have no interest in a four door Bronco. To me it's blasphemy,
Jeep is very successful with the four door Wrangler. To me a four door Wrangler is blasphemy they should only be two doors. I've always called a four door Wrangler just a rebodied jeep Liberty.

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
1996. (Also realize that the 4 door jeeps tow a lot better than the 2 doors. My guess is the 4 door ranger bronco will be even better, i’d bet at least a 6klbs tow capacity)

Nope. I have no interest in a four door Bronco. To me it's blasphemy, like a four door Mustang. Gross. Just get an Escape.
Luckily they are providing choices and you can get the one you prefer! IMO the 4-door will outsell the 2-door by a huge margin. 2-door vehicles are just not as practical.
Jeep is very successful with the four door Wrangler. To me a four door Wrangler is blasphemy they should only be two doors. I've always called a four door Wrangler just a rebodied jeep Liberty.
The longer wheelbase of the 4-door wrangler actually makes it better off-road than the 2-door in many ways.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As much as I like the idea of a stubby FSB pulling around a trailer full of powersports toys and then joining them off road once you reach the destination, the physics of how a short wheelbase vehicle responds to a trailer make it a deathtrap at highway speed for anything but small/light trailers.

Pickups excel at towing and hauling in large part because they have a long wheelbase. The explosion in popularity of 4 door trucks is part of how their tow ratings have continued to climb over the years -- heavier and longer.

... The longer wheelbase of the 4-door wrangler actually makes it better off-road than the 2-door in many ways.
The 4-doors are for people hauling, but Bronco was originally an off road sports vehicle, and it really needs to embody that again. Sure, they'll make a 4 door that will sell more units, but people will be interested in it because of what the 2-door can do, and it will lend that image/perception to the schoolbus version. If you just want a comfortable people hauler, buy an Edge or Explorer.

That schoolbus wheelbase might be better for hillclimbing, but that's about it. I will say that I think the Wranglers numbers are too short (96") or too long (118") given its other dimensions (LJ's fell in the sweet spot at 103"). I'd like to see the Bronco fall in the 100-112" range -- and with the Everest 4-door at 112" that seems very probable. When you blow those proportions up to a FSB size, adding 6-8" to the wheelbase seems about right (106-120").

The Expedition doesn't really tow any more than an Explorer, but part of that is the ballooning size of the Explorer, which is only a tiny bit smaller for 2020. If Ford did decide to bring back a FSB, would there be a 4-door version with F150-like tow ratings? Perhaps taking the SUV title from the Expedition and calling it what it has really become, a jumbo size crossover.

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really think Ford is missing a big opportunity here. I admit it wasn't even on my radar much before this mule thing. However, it makes so much sense and would elevate the Bronco name even higher and be a total juggernaut in the off-road SUV game. Not only that but it would satisfy everyone. I'm more into a midsize myself but there is still a big demand for a full-size with bigger power and room. As long as gas prices don't go higher at least.

I think we are focusing a bit too much on the towing aspect. As long as it can tow over 5,000 lbs I think it would be fine. I don't see many Raptors towing much. I think most people that want a FS Bronco want it for the extra power and space. People enjoy Bronco's for mud and yes even Raptor type baja stuff. Making a Raptor-esque Bronco wouldn't take much from Ford and I guarantee people will love them and it will take the Bronco name to an even higher level. If Ford is making a brand or line up focusing on the Bronco name then this just makes even more sense. What a bad ass presence a FS Raptor looking Bronco would be. People will buy them just for that alone. Having a Bronco that can be economical and family friendly ( Baby Bronco ), a Bronco that can take on any trail ( T6 ), and a Bronco ( FS ) that can power through mud and the dessert offers everything. The Bronco would change the game and truly take the crown from Jeep. Not just compete with them.

Even if this isn't on Fords radar right now, it should be. If they are going to continue to build Raptors why not make a Bronco version. The price to do this even if they don't sell a ton of them is worth it just for this reason of giving the Bronco name that kind of clout and range. In doing so taking the throne of off-road vehicles.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I really think Ford is missing a big opportunity here. I admit it wasn't even on my radar much before this mule thing. However, it makes so much sense and would elevate the Bronco name even higher and be a total juggernaut in the off-road SUV game. Not only that but it would satisfy everyone. I'm more into a midsize myself but there is still a big demand for a full-size with bigger power and room. As long as gas prices don't go higher at least.
Even if this isn't on Fords radar right now, it should be. If they are going to continue to build Raptors why not make a Bronco version. The price to do this even if they don't sell a ton of them is worth it just for this reason of giving the Bronco name that kind of clout and range. In doing so taking the throne of off-road vehicles.
The market for the FSB would be whitespace, with no competition. In some ways that's good, but it also means it is more difficult to judge how much demand there would be. Big vehicles for both weight and power are more sensitive to economic contractions, with higher prices, and to fuel price fluctuations.

Customers with hauling and people capacity desires for a vehicle that the FSB would be marketed toward, would be even more prone to sticking with 4 door options, and the Expedition and Tahoe/Yukon still have most of the properties a FSB could offer. Size, comfort, power, capacity. The only thing a FSB would be bringing to the table would be off road capability, and it doesn't seem like many of those current models are being sold with their respective off-road packages (FX4 etc.).

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I get why people want the two door, but claiming that a 4 door is automatic blaspheme is just silly. They are essentially the same frame, suspension and power train, basically everything. If a 4 door wrangler is a re-bodied liberty for example than a 2 door wrangler is just a bobbed liberty. We all know this isnt true, and this is coming from a guy who actually owns a liberty and put it through its paces! Anyway, I am really glad that both wrangler and bronco will offer both 2 door and 4 door (according to latest leaks at least) mainly so the 2 door guys will give it a rest.

Three reasons I want a 4 door bronco: one, I like adventuring with freinds AND gear whether its for camping or mountainbiking or whatever life brings. I like the utility afforded me without what I consider a penalty.

Two, and some of you may not like this, but offroadability! Both have pros and cons, here's the most obvious ones. 2 door gives you slightly better turning radius and breakover, 4 door gives you slightly more RTI and significantly more stability at speed and grade. Those to me are more important, they may not be to you, but heres my thought. I can try to use skill to get around a tree, or pick a line that serves the slightly worse break over. I cant use skill to make the thing not buck like a bronco over rough terrain at any kind of exhilarating speed.

Third reason, completely subjective and unimportant. Looks. once she's got upgraded suspension with 35's or 37's a 2 door just looks like a goofy scaled up RC car IMO, and a 4 door looks nice and solid. I like it when a vehicle is a bit longer than it is wide! Obviously this is completely in the eye of the beholder.

There's my rant, overall I am very glad they seem to be offering both. I respect the choices of those who want a 2 door, and I hope those of you who think 4 doors are for malls can understand the circumstances that give it real objective advantages off-road and on adventure. Lets have a good time!
Sponsored