Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Man, and to think the last engines, V8 mind you. Highest output 205 hp and 328 ft-lb at 13 to 17 mpg.

We are going to feel some punch in these new Broncos! Who would have thought a four banger, 25 years later would be pushing more power to our Broncos now😂
Sponsored

Bituman

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S-Works Roubaix, Vassago Mooseknuckle, Turner Czar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Of the several cars I own, all but one require high octane fuel. I've never run lower-octane fuel in any of them. But like you, I track every tank of gas MPG. I keep a log book in the car and record every fill. I've done this for every car I've owned for over 30 years.

When one evaluates such data, there are statistical variations in the data based on weather, traffic conditions, state of engine tune, fuel quality, and operator use variations (just to name a few). My daily driver that I use 99% for commuting to my office, which has multiple hundreds of thousands of miles on it, shows well over a 1 MPG deviation between tank fill ups. My data from the car mentioned, which drives a consistent route and is fueled at the same fuel pump at either one of just two gas stations (a Shell or an Exxon). So as real-world test data is low in variable of inconsistency. I would think it would take many tanks of each fuel to see any correlation between fuel grade and MPG delta. Lab testing is really the only true way to discern a correlation in my opinion. Logic and laws of chemistry would dictate that higher engine power output comes at the cost of higher fuel consumption for the same engine. Computer controlled forced induction probably helps somewhat, but I'm of the opinion, higher octane is not going to improve horsepower output and improve fuel consumption.

It's an interesting question for sure.
Very much agree with this. I think it would take a highly controlled well designed experiment, with replication, and in a laboratory environment to detect differences in MPG from different grades of fuel. Everyday fill ups at the corner gas station are just too imprecise. For example, how would one fill to the exact same level every time? I don’t know much about boosted engines or the software that controls them, so maybe I’m wrong and there is a relationship between octane rating and MPG. I’m just a bit skeptical.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Of the several cars I own, all but one require high octane fuel. I've never run lower-octane fuel in any of them. But like you, I track every tank of gas MPG. I keep a log book in the car and record every fill. I've done this for every car I've owned for over 30 years.

When one evaluates such data, there are statistical variations in the data based on weather, traffic conditions, state of engine tune, fuel quality, and operator use variations (just to name a few). My daily driver that I use 99% for commuting to my office, which has multiple hundreds of thousands of miles on it, shows well over a 1 MPG deviation between tank fill ups. My data from the car mentioned, which drives a consistent route and is fueled at the same fuel pump at either one of just two gas stations (a Shell or an Exxon). So as real-world test data is low in variable of inconsistency. I would think it would take many tanks of each fuel to see any correlation between fuel grade and MPG delta. Lab testing is really the only true way to discern a correlation in my opinion. Logic and laws of chemistry would dictate that higher engine power output comes at the cost of higher fuel consumption for the same engine. Computer controlled forced induction probably helps somewhat, but I'm of the opinion, higher octane is not going to improve horsepower output and improve fuel consumption.

It's an interesting question for sure.
higher octane as the only variable won't change horsepower or efficiency.
as for HP, the BTU of regular and premium gasoline is the same. if you need 1 gal/min of gasoline to generate 100 hp, you'll need 2 gal/min to generate 200 hp.

what ford does here that i haven't seen in any other manufacturers is provide ecu software that can handle a wide range of octane. the higher octane resists detonation allowing you to increase efficiency of the ICE and generate more hp per quantity of gasoline.
it's that gain in efficiency that lends some credibility to ford owners reporting higher mpg with premium gasoline. ford seems to provide an ICE that for other manufacturers would 'require premium' but has enough room in the ECU software to safely run 87.

IROCnRoll

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

nice numbers! I'll probably just get regular for 'regular' around town driving, don't need more power for my 5 min drive to the store or schools, LOL. But going on the trails and to the mountains I'll feed it the good stuff. Been doing that with my Tacoma too, though never really noticed much of a difference (if any), but that's a 18.5 year old engine.

Bronco will be a rocket in comparison :-D
Those Toyotas last forever!

Sponsored

rfawbush

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Subaru STI/1979 Ford Courier
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hell yeah! I’ll need the extra juice I can get at 6000+ft of elevation.

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This must be nice. Here in California, we get 3 choices... 87, 89, 91

Good news is that Costco's 91 is typically cheaper than others 89. So I do Premium by default and save the 87 for the long road trips.
Same in Wisconsin, 87/89/91 with Costco offering 93. Important thing to check, for us Costco has cheaper premium because it's 10% ethanol. Premium 91 at other stations is ethanol-free for small engines.

Some weirdo states like Iowa have 87 E0 and 87 E10, with the ethanol being called the premium version

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
higher octane as the only variable won't change horsepower or efficiency.
as for HP, the BTU of regular and premium gasoline is the same. if you need 1 gal/min of gasoline to generate 100 hp, you'll need 2 gal/min to generate 200 hp.

what ford does here that i haven't seen in any other manufacturers is provide ecu software that can handle a wide range of octane. the higher octane resists detonation allowing you to increase efficiency of the ICE and generate more hp per quantity of gasoline.
it's that gain in efficiency that lends some credibility to ford owners reporting higher mpg with premium gasoline. ford seems to provide an ICE that for other manufacturers would 'require premium' but has enough room in the ECU software to safely run 87.
All an internal combustion engine is is a machine that extracts energy from a chemical reaction. The efficiency of the energy conversion (extraction) has many variables. One variable, which is difficult to achieve is the perfect stoichiometric mix of fuel and oxygen to achieve the most efficient burn reaction in the cylinder. Modern fuel controls really help in creating a near-perfect chemical mix, so as I said the computer controls (hardware and software) can help in creating efficient engine power. However, add in massive heat loss, which is an ICE's biggest detriment to efficiently converting the energy, is not very adjustable and is hard to overcome.

Other factors are cylinder design (including size) and age (how well the cylinder seals), and internal friction. All those parameters remain constant regardless of what the ECU can deviate to adjust the chemical reaction to approach stoichiometric perfection (the most efficient combustion of the fuel). The computer controls try to achieve that efficiency regardless of the grade of gasoline. Higher octane allows for better control of pre-detonation. But pre-detonation has other controls in the cylinder such as spark timing, plug placement for flame propagation, compression ratio, piston top and cylinderhead contour, and valve timing and design. It all works together obviously. But in the end it takes more fuel to make more power if all other factors remain equal, which is why I find it interesting if higher octane actually creates more power and reduces fuel consumption in the two Ecoboost engines.

The real benefit of forced induction is to get more power from a smaller engine because smaller engines use less fuel.

Last edited:

davesell

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang GT, 19 Mustang Bullitt, 22 F150 PB
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It amazes me that you can gain that much HP just by using premium fuel.
This happens because of the sensing of the octane change and thus the computer can adjust the timing and other parameters. Years ago dumping 93 octane in a car that was not "tuned" for it, really didn't help much.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All an internal combustion engine is is a machine that extracts energy from a chemical reaction. The efficiency of the energy conversion (extraction) has many variables. One variable, which is difficult to achieve is the perfect stoichiometric mix of fuel and oxygen to achieve the most efficient burn reaction in the cylinder. Modern fuel controls really help in creating a near-perfect chemical mix, so as I said the computer controls (hardware and software) can help in creating efficient engine power. However, add in massive heat loss, which is an ICE's biggest detriment to efficiently converting the energy, is not very adjustable and is hard to overcome.

Other factors are cylinder design (including size) and age (how well the cylinder seals), and internal friction. All those parameters remain constant regardless of what the ECU can deviate to adjust the chemical reaction to approach stoichiometric perfection (the most efficient combustion of the fuel). The computer controls try to achieve that efficiency regardless of the grade of gasoline. Higher octane allows for better control of pre-detonation. But pre-detonation has other controls in the cylinder such as spark timing, plug placement for flame propagation, compression ratio, piston top and cylinderhead contour, and valve timing and design. It all works together obviously. But in the end it takes more fuel to make more power if all other factors remain equal, which is why I find it interesting if higher octane actually creates more power and reduces fuel consumption in the two Ecoboost engines.

The real benefit of forced induction is to get more power from a smaller engine because smaller engines use less fuel.
You can run a leaner mixture with higher octane and achieve a better mpg. If Ford's tuning table can handle 87-93 octane spread, it's possible it can run a leaner part throttle map for better efficiency at 93 than 87.
It's been a long time since I've been near tuning tables (GM L98); I'm sure there's been a lot of advances since then.
It seems to me the eco boost motors are really 'premium only' engines that support low octane fuel via comparably expanded tuning tables. Therefore highest power and efficiency is available with 93 octane, running less octane decreases power and efficiency, but will not damage the engine.

Generating 300hp will require the same amount of fuel no matter the octane rating. The additional hp from higher octane is achieved by burning more fuel by stuffing more air, increasing the effective compression ratio, for which higher octane is needed.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why should I buy a second truck, or are you saying I should replace my current truck with something else? What do you know that I don't know? Seems like a really strange statement, as I really like my truck.

NAP51DMustang

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nun-ya
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey, I said I had no problem whatsoever with tuning to increase power. But I draw a hard line when your tune increases emissions. America is a free country, but you have absolutely no right to harm the health of your fellow citizens.
You still don't understand what you are talking about.
Sponsored