Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone else hear that high pitched whining / electronic sound coming from the engine compartment when you unlock your door with the fob or open the driver's door?

If it isn't just my great gray tub of love, then what the heck is that? Some solenoid or something getting ready for work?
Sponsored

LightningBlue

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue XLT FX4/ 2023 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone else hear that high pitched whining / electronic sound coming from the engine compartment when you unlock your door with the fob or open the driver's door?

If it isn't just my great gray tub of love, then what the heck is that? Some solenoid or something getting ready for work?
Yes, all of my newer cars make these noises. I've heard its the HPFP priming the injectors or the transmission solenoids aligning themselves. Nothing to worry about, just technology :like:

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Focus ST 2018 F150 Lariat

You had a late model Focus, didn't it make those noises? My 2016 SE and 2018 ST make them noises. And if I'm not mistaken, my wifes 2018 Escape Titanium make them too.

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
You had a late model Focus, didn't it make those noises? My 2016 SE and 2018 ST make them noises. And if I'm not mistaken, my wifes 2018 Escape Titanium make them too.
Yes, if I remember correctly, the sound was the grille shutters running through the test routine. Since the Rangers don't have grille shutters I was trying to figure out what the heck it was (and it is much louder than any sound the Focus made). My wife's '18 Edge doesn't make any noises.

Not a complaint, just wondering what the heck it was and if it was normal.

LightningBlue

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, if I remember correctly, the sound was the grille shutters running through the test routine. Since the Rangers don't have grille shutters I was trying to figure out what the heck it was (and it is much louder than any sound the Focus made). My wife's '18 Edge doesn't make any noises.

Not a complaint, just wondering what the heck it was and if it was normal.
My MK6 GTI and Jetta makes the same noise, as does my 2015 Edge. Someone will chime in with actual fact based info lol

flatus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F1Fitty
Fuel pump priming, my 2.7 ecobeast does it also, mine is more of a slight rumble type of noise

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, defo the fuel pump priming.

LewisLegacy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Ohhhh! I thought it was a little gremlin scurrying away!
I thought it was to scare stray cats and squirrels out of my wheel well before I get in.

Julie dominesey

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt fx4 and a 2018 Ford f 150 xlt fx4
It’s the fuel pump priming .. on the 3.5 and 2.7 f 150s the noise is at the tank .. I have the 3.5 gf has the 2.7 .... in the ranger it’s in the engine compartment .. now does anyone notice the engine roars at remote start ? Gf says it sound like a school bus at idle

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
It’s the fuel pump priming .. on the 3.5 and 2.7 f 150s the noise is at the tank .. I have the 3.5 gf has the 2.7 .... in the ranger it’s in the engine compartment .. now does anyone notice the engine roars at remote start ? Gf says it sound like a school bus at idle
That would be the clutch fan most likely. Usually quiets down after a minute or so especially in cold weather.

LightningBlue

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That would be the clutch fan most likely. Usually quiets down after a minute or so especially in cold weather.
Anthony nailed it. Mechanical fan, likes to roar on start up.
Sponsored