Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
  • 20.7 on the dash
  • 18.5 on Fuelly (only two fill-ups so not much to go on to average it out so far)
Sponsored

Daedalus9042

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I think those guys posting above 25 mpg must be driving two wheel drive trucks.
It would be really helpful when you post to indicate what drive system you have...

Also, most parts of the US are using winter blends of gas and when they switch over to their summer blend your mileage should improve a couple of mpg’s...
I get 26+ when I stay out of the city and auto start/stop is working. FX4 here.

Daedalus9042

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I made another video going over why your MPG rating in the Ranger might not line up with the EPA rating

The TL;DW version:
- Idling or remote start will noticeably hurt MPG
- The idling MPG dent is mitigated by auto start/stop
- Auto start stop will only be enabled if 10+ conditions are met, which include not using the defroster or actively heating the cabin
- If you're in a colder climate and you do a lot of city driving prepare for an MPG rating WAY below the EPA ratings (Possibly 17 MPG or under)
- This thing is awesome on the highway between 55-65, if your normal commute consists of a lot of this type of driving its very possible to get 26+ MPG, even with the FX4. I'd imagine is very possible to get 28+ in the 2WD Ranger.
- The EPA does not test vehicles themselves, but provides test schedules/cycles that must be followed by manufactures. For testing city driving the EPA test requires 20+ stops, about 1/5th of the test to be at a stop, and for the lab temp to be between 70-80 degrees. In these conditions the auto start/stop should be active, so this means for the city MPG test the Ranger was most likely OFF for 1/5th of the test. As stated above, if you're driving in cold weather your auto start/stop is most likely disabled and you'll have little hope of matching the EPA city MPG rating just based on the fact your engine is not turning off.

C.moore01

First Name
Colbey Moore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 escape 2019 ranger
There is no problem with the rangers estimated fuel mileage .. I have a lariat fx4 supercrew and I’m easily exceeding the city and usually hitting the hwy rating for each fill up .. everyone’s mileage will vary

Daedalus9042

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
There is no problem with the rangers estimated fuel mileage .. I have a lariat fx4 supercrew and I’m easily exceeding the city and usually hitting the hwy rating for each fill up .. everyone’s mileage will vary
Based on your location it looks like you're in a pretty rural location, I'm assuming you're not in a lot of stop and go traffic? What's the weather like there?

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
If you drive like there is a raw egg between your foot and each of your pedals, and try not to crack it while driving, you'll get much better MPGs. OK, maybe a soft boiled egg but you get the point. Don't jack rabbit start from a stop, drive with your eyes a quarter mile or more down the road and react based on what you see, and start coasting when the light ahead turns yellow. You don't have to have your foot in the gas up to the last 100'. You'll save fuel, brake pads, tires and other wear and tear on your vehicle.

C.moore01

First Name
Colbey Moore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 escape 2019 ranger
Based on your location it looks like you're in a pretty rural location, I'm assuming you're not in a lot of stop and go traffic? What's the weather like there?
I do live in a rural area and it’s been anywhere from 5-40 degrees since purchasing it .. much warmer the last couple of days .. as far as stop and go I don’t do very much .. my driving kind of reflects what the epa test are developed around

pannwfn

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 fx4 level II
Hell I can get 24 mpg in my GT350 with cruise control on the highway but where's the fun in that?? It's a whole lot more fun when you only get 4 mpg!!

Tra1969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor 501A and Tow
Occupation
Senior Manufacturing Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I've been trying to find that page on fuelly, can you point me in the right direction? It'll be interesting to watch as there becomes more than 5 trucks being monitored (3 of which are diesel).
Go to fuelly.com a click the research button in the upper righthand corner and scroll down to the ford ranger. You will need a free account and be signed in.

Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger CrewCab 4x4 301A
I think the Auto Start Stop feature is way over rated on terms of mpg. Ford knows exactly what the this function actually contributes to mpg. To me, it's a marketing/sales gimmick. If it is significant in terms of mpg, why are there 10 criteria for it to engage and a switch to

Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And why are there aftermarket products to keep it turned off if it is so seamless and important to increased mpg?

Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EPA specifications requires that start stop be disabled for the city mpg rating. There fore, if the start stop is really significant, real world city mpg's should exceed the city rating.

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
Hell I can get 24 mpg in my GT350 with cruise control on the highway but where's the fun in that?? It's a whole lot more fun when you only get 4 mpg!!
You have touched on just 1 small reason why i won't buy a quick, great handling car.

Fun. It's almost impossible to have fun. Too crowded. I'm 20 years past burning up expensive tires as being fun. I have driven my dad's c7 corvette quite a few times. Blasting down a straight road at 160+ was fun the first few times then got boring. Having to hit turns at triple digit speeds to generate any fun becomes more difficult as roads get crowded. No access to a track. Its frustrating. Cant imagine being in a fun car and boxed in by the idiots on my way to work. Know what I choose to drive when I go back home now? His F-150.

Where I live, I've given up. just sit in the right lane driving 55 to 60 and enjoy the peace without stress. Might not be fun but it is enjoyable watching the angry tailgaters stream by in the left lane.

These *are* trucks but hopefully I can have my cake and eat it too.. Using it as intended (who cares about mpg) and cruising to work and getting good mpg.

pannwfn

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 fx4 level II
You have touched on just 1 small reason why i won't buy a quick, great handling car.

Fun. It's almost impossible to have fun. Too crowded. I'm 20 years past burning up expensive tires as being fun. I have driven my dad's c7 corvette quite a few times. Blasting down a straight road at 160+ was fun the first few times then got boring. Having to hit turns at triple digit speeds to generate any fun becomes more difficult as roads get crowded. No access to a track. Its frustrating. Cant imagine being in a fun car and boxed in by the idiots on my way to work. Know what I choose to drive when I go back home now? His F-150.

Where I live, I've given up. just sit in the right lane driving 55 to 60 and enjoy the peace without stress. Might not be fun but it is enjoyable watching the angry tailgaters stream by in the left lane.

These *are* trucks but hopefully I can have my cake and eat it too.. Using it as intended (who cares about mpg) and cruising to work and getting good mpg.
I am almost 64 and I'll never give it up. The only thing I miss about Iowa is the twisting roads. You do have to watch out for the green deer though.

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
I am almost 64 and I'll never give it up. The only thing I miss about Iowa is the twisting roads. You do have to watch out for the green deer though.
Hawaii here (for now).

Back when I had an 04 Mach 1 there is one place on Oahu that if traffic cooperated allowed me to safely hit 150 the hard on the brakes into a tight 180 offramp. After some mods that eliminated the understeer that little section became really fun. But that is pretty much it. Too many unmarked police makes late night runs risky. Every where else, just too crowded.

Understand about straight roads. when visiting home in Florida thats pretty much it.

If I get back to mainland, hopefully I'll be somewhat convenient to a track then a GT350 will be on my radar.
Sponsored