Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Oh the irony...

So last month I had to tow my motorcycle to the shop for new tires. It's cold here now and the old tires were a bit thin on rubber in a few places, so trailering was the best transport method. COVID caused backlog delays for MC tire shipments, so they arrived in late November after I ordered them in August. U-Haul rents MC trailers for $12/day; easy math...

Anyway, it was the first time I've towed anything with my H3T, which has a 7-pin connector. The U-Haul trailer is lightweight and does not have brakes, so it just uses a 4-pin connector. I had to go buy a 7-to-4 pin adapter - :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

I long ago dropped the tow package on my Bronco order. If I ever need a receiver for it, I'd do fine with just a 4-pin connector.
Yeah most little utility trailers are only going to need for pins. I have one and it only uses 4.

But, as soon as you try to go to something a bit more...say a popup camper...your done for. Off road trailer...done for. Doesn't take alot to reach 1500 lbs.

Hell, with that uhaul trailer and your bike, i bet you were close to 1,000.
Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah most little utility trailers are only going to need for pins. I have one and it only uses 4.

But, as soon as you try to go to something a bit more...say a popup camper...your done for. Off road trailer...done for. Doesn't take alot to reach 1500 lbs.

Hell, with that uhaul trailer and your bike, i bet you were close to 1,000.
It was just over 1,500 pounds. My bike is a full dress tourer that weighs wet 749 pounds. The trailer was 10' and all steel with sidewalls, it weighs 800 pounds on its own per U-Haul. Virginia trailer brake law is 3,000 pounds GVWR.

Last edited:

ocbucks1

Outer Banks
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyta
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Because it happens off the assembly line. With 1000s coming off the line each day there is the logistics to get it to a separate shop. Then there is the labor to install. Labor is focused on production and the tow package line may be short labor and backs up.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

It was just over 1,500 pounds. My bike is a full dress tourer that weighs wet 749 pounds. The trailer was 10' and all steel with sidewalls, it weighs 800 pounds on its own per U-Haul. Virginia trailer brake law is 3,000 pounds GVWR.
Most heavy rental trailers (6 x12, dual wheel) will use surge brakes and not electric. Those still only need a 4 pin connection. When you slam on the brakes, the forward movement of the trailer against the slowing vehicle presses on a hydraulic actuator to activate the brakes. No wiring needed. As Efthreeoh says, most states do not require trailer brakes until you get over 3k. California government and rules? Well, they just seem to really like electric stuff (non ice) so perhaps that’s perhaps they are just confused.

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
So is this a supply chain issue? It's an option when you are building one.
Yes, it is shipped to dealer for installation there. However the 2-Door still has to leave factory with MIC hardtop. So the hold up is the MIC Hardtop

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah gotcha, That's why I say people need to be careful because you drive across state lines.

Hydraulic brakes, via the trailer tongue would meet the law I would think (not totally sure) But I had a boat trailer that was set up like that and absolutely hated it. Go in reverse, brakes are on, go down a hill, brakes are on. The brakes were on so much that it kept overheating. No thanks.

i want brake pedal = brakes on, otherwise off guaranteed.

Pseudoko

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2 Feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you actually seen any recent MIC tops?
yup seen a few recent 2.0 tops up-close. In my opinion the quality of the ones on the jeep is better. The 2.0 tops are about the same as the 1.0 for the ones I saw in person.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah gotcha, That's why I say people need to be careful because you drive across state lines.

Hydraulic brakes, via the trailer tongue would meet the law I would think (not totally sure) But I had a boat trailer that was set up like that and absolutely hated it. Go in reverse, brakes are on, go down a hill, brakes are on. The brakes were on so much that it kept overheating. No thanks.

i want brake pedal = brakes on, otherwise off guaranteed.
Warning: Old coder post

So back in the day (1970's) we towed a 19' Grady White boat (i.e. not the lightest boat on the market at the time) on steel trailer (i.e. not the lightest material to make a trailer from) with my Dad's 1972 Mercury Marquis (429 Big block w/ 3-sp auto). I'm sure the boat and trailer was easily 4,000+ pounds. Never even heard of trailer brakes. Good news was the car was longer and heavier than the boat/trailer. Life was good and lawyers were busy doing other stuff.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
yup seen a few recent 2.0 tops up-close. In my opinion the quality of the ones on the jeep is better. The 2.0 tops are about the same as the 1.0 for the ones I saw in person.
Yeah, but then it would be a... Jeep. No thanks. I had a YJ for 12 years. My MIC-topped, 2-dr Bronco will be a like a Cadillac relatively speaking. I'm looking forward to Bronco ownership.

Pseudoko

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2 Feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, but then it would be a... Jeep. No thanks. I had a YJ for 12 years. My MIC-topped, 2-dr Bronco will be a like a Cadillac relatively speaking. I'm looking forward to Bronco ownership.
oh no i am not trying to sell people on a jeep. just saying their had top from their vendor seems to be of better quality when you touch/feel the Ford v Jeep tops in comparison. Just wish the Bronco got similar quality but that comes down to the vendors Ford selects.

Sponsored

smittybust

Badlands
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord Crosstour
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a 7/14 reservation, got bumped to '22, then re-ordered in October for BL, 2.7, LUX MIC and TOW. Talked to the dealer last week, switched order Saturday to remove TOW only and was given a 3/7 build date yesterday. If anything, the holdup now is TOW package. He said hardtops is no longer an issue.
On the other hand, I am a 7/14 reservation for BL, MIC, 2.7, Mid and removed tow back in early December but still haven't been picked up.

JD1212

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
FWIW, I ordered mine through dealer on 1/17/22. BB 2D, MIC, 2.7, Mid, SAS, and today I got a vin and 3/7/22 build date. I asked my dealer and he anecdotally repeated that his area rep told him that he does not believe MIC is going to be a limiting factor as they get into February.
Your build?

Gloff

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.serramonteford.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Bronco Big Bend, '03 BMW Z4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I was not overly impressed with Wrangler top. The MIC top has it's weirdness, but it's of no less quality than that top. Both are fine and are in the same price class. I've heard a lot of comments about the Bronco being 40-60k, and I'm not sure what more is being expected of a convertible SUV.

It's value for dollar, this isn't a luxury vehicle by any means. You're paying for the capability, and the ability to remove the roof, not some sort of luxury vehicle. If that's what you're after, you're looking at the wrong vehicle. At 60k you're getting a lot of bang for your buck; F/R Lockers, 35" tires, beadlock capables, 400 lb. ft torque, 360 camera, modular bumper, disco swaybar if you want it, and then there's all the modern tech you get in high/lux.

Hell look at my build: 42K two door with rear locker, 2.7L, mod bumper, mid package. I see a great value considering that the roof comes off and it still has all the modern tech you'd expect from a 40k vehicle.

People pay just as much for Wranglers, because they're capable. We're talking about a vehicle that still has a steering box and a front live axle in 2022. Drive them back to back, the Wrangler is heavily compromised for the street so you can get a tiny bit more articulation.

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just got off the phone with Ford support (800-392-3673). It was a lengthy phone call with a friendly support person but these things were of note:

1. She said the recommendation to switch to a soft top to get your Bronco sooner is no longer true. Soft top orders are not being prioritized over hard top orders anymore as MIC production is now meeting demand for how many Broncos can be produced in a day. She said if you previously switched to a soft top to jump the line but are still not scheduled, you have been placed back in line where you would have been originally, regardless of soft or hard top.

2. She said the hard top supplier is now making about 300 MIC tops a day. Those are showing up at the factory and being installed on the Broncos that need them.

I'd love for someone else to confirm this information - she seemed to really know what she was talking about, and it's better than "my dealer said", but still.
What about scheduled orders with a VIN number? I do not have a reservation and placed my order just last December 31st. I switched to a soft top and immediately got scheduled for 01/30/22! Any chance l can switch back to MIC top without loosing my scheduling?
Sponsored