Sponsored

New Nissan Z... we got lucky being Bronco fans!

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a 300ZX and a 350Z and I think they tried way too hard on the front of this. The back they stole from a 1990 300ZX but those front lights look absurd. All that said, my 13yr old son thinks it looks awesome...so guess it isn't aimed at me ;)
Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The problem is that while the 240Z was the inspiration for the shape, the details are from 300-370Z. As much as I liked the 300ZX, those design elements only worked in 1990. This new one needs work, but they are 90% on target.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I had a 300ZX and a 350Z and I think they tried way too hard on the front of this. The back they stole from a 1990 300ZX but those front lights look absurd. All that said, my 13yr old son thinks it looks awesome...so guess it isn't aimed at me ;)
I remember being infatuated with the 280zx when it came out. I couldnā€™t drive yet but I would sketch that car.

My first car was a ā€˜71 240z.

You have a budding sports car guy;)(y)

RedTetsu13

Black Diamond
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Elantra Sedan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The problem is that while the 240Z was the inspiration for the shape, the details are from 300-370Z. As much as I liked the 300ZX, those design elements only worked in 1990. This new one needs work, but they are 90% on target.
The definitely tried to cram too much Z history into this. I think they would be much better off if they had just focused in on the original 240Z and worked from there. I definitely agree with you that there are 90% there.

Sponsored

FJ 432

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like it a lot. The headlamps should be round however.

RockEye

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Subaru WRX STI, 2DR Badlands Reservation
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a Datsun 260Z so I was really excited to see this. Like many, I'm not fond of the grill. The whole car has sleek lines and then a brick in the bumper. It just doesn't flow well. The color is terrible also.

I love the interior and the profile is very similar to a 240Z. It's supposed to come out next year also. I'm interested to see what it looks like in less agonizing colors and if they modify the grill.

Ajfetterman

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado ZR2, 1991 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I dig it. I probably wouldnt have a dignified exit and would have to roll out of it but I can get on board with the looks.

Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had to do some interweb research on reveal pics/video.
Meh. I don't hate it.
I think they got some things very right:
Front overhang vs. rear works
Overall tribute to the 240/280 is thankfully close while keeping it modern.
Badges on the sail panels was a great touch
Script decklid logo also genius.
Interior looks pretty darn good.
400HP Twin Twisty? Yes!
Profile isn't bad. Again, a good tribute to old style with modern look with the quarter windows and overall shapes.
Somehow they were able to blend a rear panel that pays tribute to the 300's to a car with overall styling of the 240/280. And honestly, it's not horrible. It could have been a LOT worse.

Things I think they should do to help:
It needs a rear deck spoiler. Maybe even a low profile swept wing that ties in the quarter panel lines with a tribute to the old 240 style. And make it matte black.
Take that tail panel and inset the taillights a bit. Make the center section also matte black to match the spoiler.
Twin exhaust cutouts with a double-pipe or flat oval tip would look awesome.
Inset the headlights more like the 240, make them a bit larger at the rear, tapering to smaller in front. Use the new tech plastics to do the cover for them, but the Z4 style lights actually make the front end with the square grille look out of proportion and an afterthought.
Make a Targa top version.

Last edited:

foreWard

Badlands
First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep GC Trailhawk, 2003 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I tried to watch some of that last night, but everyone speaking was just....Yikes...

RedTetsu13

Black Diamond
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Elantra Sedan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It might just be me but after reviewing some of the footage, that hood looks like enough that an I6 engine swap would be feasible.