Sponsored

New oil pan needed after 1st oil change (2.7 engine w/ plastic oil pan and drain plug)

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So roughly $1400 to change it out? I'd be finding a way to keep it in place until I decided to tackle it myself. That's absurd. From the pics that the one dude posted, it doesn't appear to be that bad to swap out
What would be wrong about tapping the hole and screwing a drain plug in with a gasket or Oring on it...
Sponsored

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP
OP

Yukon65006

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Jeep Patriot, 06 BMW F650GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, is Ford saying there were "pliers" involved?
Said denied because it was not done in a ford shop so know way of knowing how it really happened. I understand but do not agree given the design of the plug and no damage to the plug or external ears that prevent being turned the wrong way.

The service writers did their job, avoid warranty work when ever possible. It doesn't pay.

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Said denied because it was not done in a ford shop so know way of knowing how it really happened. I understand but do not agree given the design of the plug and no damage to the plug or external ears that prevent being turned the wrong way.

The service writers did their job, avoid warranty work when ever possible. It doesn't pay.
I think I'd permanently install a Ronan plug with some sort of epoxy before I'd spend 1400+ on a new pan......but that's just me

Sponsored
OP
OP

Yukon65006

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Jeep Patriot, 06 BMW F650GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What would be wrong about tapping the hole and screwing a drain plug in with a gasket or Oring on it...
Only way I would try that is with the pan off to prevent contamination. At that point just replace.

Or something like this.....
Ford Bronco New oil pan needed after 1st oil change (2.7 engine w/ plastic oil pan and drain plug) 1664554364558
Those crossed my mind as a stop gap till I could get the parts and a manual but at this point in my life I don't want to roll around on the ground for that type of job. I enjoy changing oil, rotating tires and other small maintenance jobs but with out a lift, dropping the steering rack and pan replacement on my back does not sound enjoyable.

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Only way I would try that is with the pan off to prevent contamination. At that point just replace.

Those crossed my mind as a stop gap till I could get the parts and a manual but at this point in my life I don't want to roll around on the ground for that type of job. I enjoy changing oil, rotating tires and other small maintenance jobs but with out a lift, dropping the steering rack and pan replacement on my back does not sound enjoyable.
I put grease on the tap threads... that keeps the shavings on the tap... plus pouring oil in will flush it out... just thinking out loud... I understand the older I get the less I like taking on the big jobs...

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah Jeep did it right. The part of the pan that has the oil plug (and takes damage on trails) is a $50 part and comes off with 12 bolts..nothing in the way.

People bag on jeeps but they are designed to be worked on by the dyi'r .... Bronco on the other hand seems to make everything extra difficult.

SoK66

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
They make an off road vehicle with an exposed plastic oil pan? Brilliant. Aftermarket will be all over this one but it won't be cheap.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
the pan is not exposed. There is a metal plate right under it .. which you have to remove when you drain the oil.

They make an off road vehicle with an exposed plastic oil pan? Brilliant. Aftermarket will be all over this one but it won't be cheap.

Sponsored

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don't think I would risk my engine tapping into an already brittle and potentially defective oil pan. The parts are around $100, I would just purchase the parts and install them myself or pay an independent mechanic for them to install.

mdonathan56

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Bad,2016 Q5 TDI, 2009 Honda Element EX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In the video you can see the tabs on the oil pan at the 3 and 9 o'clock position. I pushed the plug all the way in with the plug ear on the bottom side of the tab at 3 o'clock. In this position the plug should have one gone part way in then you rotate the plug clockwise 180 degrees to lock it in. Attached is a pic of what it should look like locked in

Someone mentioned the Ronin plug and I found an install video for it that shows the internal pan pins and how the plug locks into place. The stock plug works the same way. Once I get it back I will be installing one of these at the next change.

Edit to add vid I forgot to post.
watch

Ford Bronco New oil pan needed after 1st oil change (2.7 engine w/ plastic oil pan and drain plug) 1664554364558
Just ordered the Ronin plug. Getting ready for oil change number one and this thread came just in time.
Sorry for your problems, but thanks for bring this front and center.

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands '07 Grand Prix GXP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well i brought mine in for its first oil change. They pulled the drain plug and sure as fuck, my pan is screwed too. They looked inside and there is no tabs in the pan. I got lucky my drain plug thankfully stayed in but he said no way he'd trust that to run it. They are hoping to have a pan first thing monday and may have it back by Tuesday/Wednesday. Thankfully mine is going to be covered under warranty. They said the tabs that are in there were barely even able to be felt by hand. I had noticed my plug pushed out a little about 2500 miles in so i tried turning thinking maybe it was turned itself back out. It wouldn't turn but i could push it in. They think there may have been a batch of pans that weren't perfect or damaged. Mine was built early May 2022. Im not sure when the engine was built for sure. Ford is going to have to keep an eye on this now too. Hopefully its very isolated. My giveaway was i had a couple drops of oil on the floor and noticed the plug not fully seated.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So does the aftermarket plug require the same locks to install. Scary to think there is barely anything holding in our drain plugs.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

i read somewhere that the oil pan plugs are single use items and are suppose to be replaced every oil change
Just like the copper gaskets with metal to metal - supmaybe posed to replace every time per the instructions from the copper lobby

Sorry, but just one more reason to have service performed by the dealer during warranty. If it is prone to being screwed up then it is on them if you never touch it. So you saved maybe $50 in labor and $10 difference in oil and filter price by buying at NAPA but certainly a non-warranty oil pan put you now in the negative savings club
Sponsored