First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Full disclosure...I wasted a LOT of time and money trying out many of the tailgate reinforcement setups...RC, then BAMF, then RTR, and finally Hammer Built actually picked up the phone (he listed his cell number in the forum) listened to what I was hoping to do (go with Raptor hinges to address my area of concern...the arched OEM hinges with no mounting points) and then communicated with me back and forth for weeks/months with me taking measurements and sending pics and they made me a Raptor hinge specific plate that worked like a charm even before final tweaks were made. None of the other companies were nearly as helpful/interested in producing something other than what they already offered...so although I don't work for Hammer Built I do endorse them for the lengths they went to just to help out even one forum member! I have nothing against IAG other than the fact that they chose to make a hinge assembly out of aluminum, and they made a bracket that only supports the outer four mounting points of the OEM carrier...and they don't have any universal mounting points for the typical gear that forum members may want to carry. It does have a couple of threaded holes into the aluminum that I anticipate them selling their own specific brackets for, but the Hammer Built setup is already good to go for an antenna or Rotopax or a shovel or a jack or many other universally mounted items. The Hammer Built set up also has pre-threaded inserts into steel, which I trust a lot more than a couple of threaded holes in soft aluminum. It is also much lower profile and keeps the spare tire in almost the same place as it was intended.
Appreciate all your input. I see on the HB website they are working on their own billet hinges...do you have any insight (good or bad) on these?
Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Appreciate all your input. I see on the HB website they are working on their own billet hinges...do you have any insight (good or bad) on these?

Last edited:

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The benefit of their pending hinge is that it will have a built-in stop at 90°...that will eliminate the possibility of swinging your gate open too far and smashing the tail light with any accessories. If anybody hangs anything off any aftermarket tailgate bracket, they need to consider that 120° swing because without some kind of a limiter they will always have to be super careful when opening the gate. I was able to find a gas charged strut that's the exact length needed to limit the swing to 90°, but because it's a charged strut and not a damper (like our OEM one) the door flings open and unless you're guiding it it could easily bend one of the strut mounts. I'm not sure how much the Hammer Built hinges will cost, but I believe that if they are as affordable or more affordable than the Raptor hinges and if they have the built-in limiter and you don't care about your gate opening to only 90° then those might be the way to go (and if you are not in a hurry...fabrication in conjunction with design can take some time.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the intel. Sounds like they may be worth the wait for comparison before I pull the trigger. I do like the idea of a stop but not sure I could live with 90deg stop, just a bit more would be optimal.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the intel. Sounds like they may be worth the wait for comparison before I pull the trigger. I do like the idea of a stop but not sure I could live with 90deg stop, just a bit more would be optimal.
Same for me...I like that the travel can be limited, but I also like the option of opening slightly more if need be. I think the hinges folks choose should depend on the eventual gear they intend to carry. I also have a current setup for more weight to be carried, and with it I use the OEM strut and can still get full open gate without any risk of smashing anything. I have the HB setup for low-profile moderate weight and a swing out for loading up with gas/accessories and peace of mind for separating the excess weight from the gate.

Sponsored

Hemisfear

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Same for me...I like that the travel can be limited, but I also like the option of opening slightly more if need be. I think the hinges folks choose should depend on the eventual gear they intend to carry. I also have a current setup for more weight to be carried, and with it I use the OEM strut and can still get full open gate without any risk of smashing anything. I have the HB setup for low-profile moderate weight and a swing out for loading up with gas/accessories and peace of mind for separating the excess weight from the gate.
What do you mean by you have a "swing out for loading up", hitch mounted?

bigblockfox545

Black Diamond
First Name
jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 FOX 2009 M3 2008 STI 2005 F350 2018 OB
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The Raptor plate is junk...... I ordered one with the intention of putting that and the Raptor hinges on mine. Hinges are great by the way. The plate..... 18G steel in parts, surrounded by injected plastic, with the words "Ford Performance" molded into the plastic. It doesn't even go totally around the wheel mount, so if it is protecting anything, it will only be on the passenger side. Not worth it, even if it was 50% cheaper..... I see you live in Surrey, so if you want to see my setup (Hammer Built HD plate with Raptor Hinges), PM me and we'll meet up some time.
Also, we have a BC 6G Bronco club set up on here and on Facebook if you want to go out on runs with other Bronco guys from the area. here is the facebook link..... https://www.facebook.com/groups/bc6thgenbroncos
i don't have facebook but my wife does so i will get her to join.

thanks for the insight guys. i do prefer the looks of the iag and raptor setup but would like strongest setup for the heavier tire.

Hemisfear

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks nice, who's and is it single operation? (tailgate opens with the carrier)
Single operation with a provision I added to compensate for flex between frame and body independent of spindle mounting point for arm (switched from delrin to hard rubber). I also made a bracket to lower the spare about 4 inches to get it out of the rear window, and I shortened the Rotopax carrier bracket to line up with lower tire. I still kept the original bracket in case I need a super high spare for departure angle, but I personally dislike a spare taking up a lot of rear window visibility during everyday driving. Manufacturer is Road Armor and it is on sale at Northridge 4x4.

Sponsored

Hemisfear

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Single operation with a provision I added to compensate for flex between frame and body independent of spindle mounting point for arm (switched from delrin to hard rubber). I also made a bracket to lower the spare about 4 inches to get it out of the rear window, and I shortened the Rotopax carrier bracket to line up with lower tire. I still kept the original bracket I case I need a super high spare for departure angle, but I personally dislike a spare taking up a lot of rear window visibility during everyday driving. Manufacturer is Road Armor and it is on sale at Northridge 4x4.
Ah, you mentioned Road Armor to me before...

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ah, you mentioned Road Armor to me before...
It definitely had some modifications needed to get it to the point I wanted, but IMHO the quality of the construction/the design/the powdercoat/the raw materials made the extra work and cost I had to put in worth it (for me). I like the JCR stuff, but didn't want a skyscraper spare and the hassle of opening two swingouts and then the tailgate every time I needed something. I like the LOD, but am not a fan of a spindle attaching only to the bumper and not the frame. It seems that if one could take all the coolest things about each bumper and spare setup out there and put them into one product it would end up awesome, but because each customer has something else specific desired there can't be one product to please everyone anytime soon. For anyone considering the RA, I'd be happy to tell them what they may want to consider prior to placing an order.

Hatman

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Sasquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IAG better release something soon or everyone here on their product announcement will end up with a nice Hammerbuilt system!

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just an observation but it seems like IAG is so busy producing other products that the tailgate reinforcement must not be a very high priority? I imagine although they may have designed it it's probably being manufactured or cast outside of the US and is subject to production or supply chain constraints...

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just an observation but it seems like IAG is so busy producing other products that the tailgate reinforcement must not be a very high priority? I imagine although they may have designed it it's probably being manufactured or cast outside of the US and is subject to production or supply chain constraints...
As another aside, unfortunately I think we're all so excited about our Broncos that for manufacturers producing aftermarket parts is kind of like shooting fish in a barrel. For example, all someone has to do is post a sexy picture of a part that no one in the forum has yet had their hands on, and immediately several other forum members will say "take my money"...but I've learned the hard way that the hype of many parts rarely matches the practicality or quality or installation ease. All that to say that until someone has their hands on something and has a chance to test it out for himself or herself, I wouldn't get too excited or stress out from the long wait. Case in point...when I bought my RC plate and was unhappy with it I was SOL... and when I reached out to the manufacturer about my BAMF assembly, and the fact that it didn't fit with a factory Sasquatch tire, and I that I needed to add a spacer to get the right adjsutment, I was also SOL...and when I added the RTR set up to my collection, and noticed that the alignment was never going to be spot on and that I had to make several adjustments to even use it I was also SOL. With the Hammer Built set up, you will actually be able to get in touch with the person who has direct control over not only the sale of the item but also the design and manufacturing (all in-house). If something doesn't work out with your purchase, he makes it right. More importantly, if there's something that needs to be adjusted in the design, it can actually be adjusted. In the world of aftermarket parts and fabrication, that is rare indeed for the average customer to have that kind of access and input. Just something to consider while you patiently wait for your tailgate bracket from whomever you decide to purchase.
Sponsored

Last edited: