First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4 door outer Banks. 2014 ram 3500 SLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It is when the OE rack dynamic rating is 110lbs.
Does this improve on that?? 🤷
Well it would as it's not sitting on the fiberglass hard top like the one with the 100 lb rating.
Sponsored

OP
OP

BCBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Gobi mounts to the base of the rear bumper and the wind screen so has vertices to reach there. Also has a 300# kinetic and 800# static limit. Kind of a different deal. This one has some weird top loop that seems totally unnecessary. Unless it's a basket or something?

I'm sure it's cargo weight limits are going to be up there in the 800lb range just by its construction. And from what it looks like to be the very top is a seperate piece.. like a basket sitting on cross members . Which in one of the photos you can see the cross members running under the basket/deck on top. So maybe they have different options etc for what can attach to the crosembers of the rack itself ?

BLMike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Ultimate Wrangler and two other normal cars
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes and no, Watch the video and you'll notice a few things that are problematic. I had a Yakima HD rack on my Ram and realized a few things are important to think about when choosing a rack. The first issue is the hardware they've chosen. Serrated nuts are fine for a little while. But not for the long haul. Too much vibration and they'll come free and once they're slightly loose they totally gone in the next minute because there is nothing to stop them from vibrating off. Nylock is the way to go, but cost more.
The bolts they use are also too short for the application. The threads don't even come through the nuts which means they aren't even getting the best opportunity to engage all the threads and will come off even sooner.
The cross bars are another issue. How do you add a tie down to them? There are no cut outs because they've simply purchased stock 80/20 rail and not bothered to machine in openings to drop in T-bolts. So you have to disassemble the side every time you want to add something to it.
I didn't notice them installing the rear brackets to the hardtop and there are no pictures up close of that so I'm assuming here but is that a direct metal to MIC top connection without any sort of rubber or anything to avoid the heavy scuffing it will do to the roof? Looks pretty rough.
And the final thing I noticed is the front mount plate to the windscreen surround. That part looks totally flat and yet the windshield surround looks to have a curve, or radius to it. Plus once it's installed the opening gets no treatment to cover up the hardware attaching it up there? That's pretty incomplete for $1500 and the rear rack has only a 75# rating? What is that good for? Nothing in overloading.

Looks like it's been rushed to the market by a someone who's not taken the time to engineer a proper solution.

Of course I could be work and way off point. Lets see a better video debunking my assumptions and showing the areas I've pointed out to see if I'm wrong.
Thanks for the education. I know I want a rack...I'm just waiting till there are more options and now I know more of what to look for!

BLMike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Ultimate Wrangler and two other normal cars
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One thing I am so glad for. Third party rack options are starting to be a reality.

paxfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 fx4 eco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for posting!

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well it would as it's not sitting on the fiberglass hard top like the one with the 100 lb rating.
Well, looking at the CAD drawings, it certainly looks like it's attached to the roof. Where are you suggesting all the load bearing weight is going....? The ladder?

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't think you can open the roof with this rack, at least not without taking parts off? Photos aren't the best. Does the ladder part attach to the body under the roof cap? that would add some more weight capacity for sure.

More pictures and info needed to really know. It does look like a nice wind noise generator though ;-)

kimmnen

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect & '22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP
OP

BCBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well, looking at the CAD drawings, it certainly looks like it's attached to the roof. Where are you suggesting all the load bearing weight is going....? The ladder?

The ladder and steel foot sit on top of the tub. Not the roof. Look at where the rear clam sits on the tub.

Sponsored
OP
OP

BCBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So you're saying there is a ladder on both sides supporting the rack??

I would assume. Or perhaps the other side is different but still some kind of support

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would assume. Or perhaps the other side is different but still some kind of support
That would be innovative for sure. Interesting...
You could maybe even do a pack rax kinda thing on the ladder supports.
So.... Where's the 2 door version? Lol

OP
OP

BCBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Maybe in April they will have both. Maybe by then some more will hit the market too
Sponsored