First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LR3, '21 BadSquatch Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Finally got around to getting my OGT attached to my Bronco... Trailer is about 2500 lbs loaded - but my hitch weight is pretty heavy at 350 and you can see some squat. I think my only option is to get heavier rear springs... Aside from that - tows really well with the 2.7... Also - I know my jack wheel should be to the front (got corrected own that!).
Ford Bronco New setup - Off Grid Trailer... IMG_1312
Sponsored

WildernessMan

Badlands
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rear airbags for towing would be nice. I installed them on every personal and company truck or suv we run. Havenā€™t seen any available for the Bronc yet. Massive difference in stability and control when hauling even smaller loads.

EXO Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer ST, Audi S4, Raptor (Previously)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Rear airbags for towing would be nice. I installed them on every personal and company truck or suv we run. Havenā€™t seen any available for the Bronc yet. Massive difference in stability and control when hauling even smaller loads.
Unless you make them removable with some sort of bolting system, they severely hamper overall travel and performance at speed... So there are some HUGE trade-offs.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Finally got around to getting my OGT attached to my Bronco... Trailer is about 2500 lbs loaded - but my hitch weight is pretty heavy at 350 and you can see some squat. I think my only option is to get heavier rear springs... Aside from that - tows really well with the 2.7... Also - I know my jack wheel should be to the front (got corrected own that!).
Ford Bronco New setup - Off Grid Trailer... IMG_1312
What's the tongue weight rating for the Bronco?
Just looking at that trailer you can tell by the axle location that the tongue weight is gonna be high.

OP
OP

AlexInSD

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just looking at that trailer you can tell by the axle location that the tongue weight is gonna be high.
350 lbs according to the specs (10% of max tow).

Sponsored
OP
OP

AlexInSD

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
350 lbs. - people tow these trailers with Jeeps frequently - I think they must use bags, which seems hard to do with the suspension on the Bronco. Also itā€™s a max-coupler so no weight distribution hitch would work.

knownhuman

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks sweet! I've been eyeing something similar and contemplating building my own.

WildernessMan

Badlands
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Unless you make them removable with some sort of bolting system, they severely hamper overall travel and performance at speed... So there are some HUGE trade-offs.
Agreed, if you extreme off-road or Baja they wouldnā€™t work well at all. If you frequently pull trailers or primarily run roads the air bags would work decently. Bolt on and off airbags would be the ultimate fix for all applications in case your on a weekend off-road trip.

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've been running bags in the rear of my JKU for about 3 years now. I've got a long travel setup with Metalcloak and there is zero loss of travel and zero change at speed when aired down to 3psi. You simply do not know they are there. But air up to 30psi and the trailer tongue weight is completely supported. It's a great setup.

The issue is with the coilover style rear shock/spring setup on the Bronco. We can't do an "in the spring" air bag which is the preferred setup. Other options will be out eventually...

OP
OP

AlexInSD

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been running bags in the rear of my JKU for about 3 years now. I've got a long travel setup with Metalcloak and there is zero loss of travel and zero change at speed when aired down to 3psi. You simply do not know they are there. But air up to 30psi and the trailer tongue weight is completely supported. It's a great setup.

The issue is with the coilover style rear shock/spring setup on the Bronco. We can't do an "in the spring" air bag which is the preferred setup. Other options will be out eventually...
Thanks - I appreciate the responses. I really hope someone figures it out. Meanwhile - I have an F150 Tremor arriving next week, will probably just tow off-road with that for now, all 1st world, good problems to have fortunately.

Sponsored

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks - I appreciate the responses. I really hope someone figures it out. Meanwhile - I have an F150 Tremor arriving next week, will probably just tow off-road with that for now, all 1st world, good problems to have fortunately.
I tow with my Frontier when not going "places" that need the offroad capability. But we've done some interesting trails including Mojave Road and El Camino del Diablo where there are some interesting spots on the trails. The vast majority was doable in 2wd, but it was nice to have the big tires in other spots.

Ford Bronco New setup - Off Grid Trailer... IMG_3916.JPG

Ford Bronco New setup - Off Grid Trailer... IMG_3954.JPG

KDTX

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4-door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not to hijack this thread...but there is a pretty interesting Facebook group called - Foamie Builders, Foam Campers and Overland Trailers. All are very similar to the trailer the OP posted. I never knew this was even a thing. Really cool and looks doable for the DIYer.

OP
OP

AlexInSD

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I tow with my Frontier when not going "places" that need the offroad capability. But we've done some interesting trails including Mojave Road and El Camino del Diablo where there are some interesting spots on the trails. The vast majority was doable in 2wd, but it was nice to have the big tires in other spots.

Nice!!! Thatā€™s my goal with this setup! I hope I can get the weight off the tongue more and still be stable - I just today dropped 80 lbs by switching to LiFePo4 batteries. My spare is also 80lbs so I think Iā€™ll move it to the roof rack over the axles. I just need to get out there, Iā€™m in San Diego so the Mojave Road is a goal.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not to hijack this thread...but there is a pretty interesting Facebook group called - Foamie Builders, Foam Campers and Overland Trailers. All are very similar to the trailer the OP posted. I never knew this was even a thing. Really cool and looks doable for the DIYer.
I'm in that one. Also the "squaredrop" group is really good.
Sponsored