Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I change my own oil .... the OEM dipstick showed the oil as way overfilled .... got the new dipstick and after putting in 7 qtz with a cold engine (overnight) the new dipstick is showing half way between min/max points
The dipstick they said was for the raptor?
Sponsored

Thiskers

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Had a Ronin drain plug I wanted to install so drained oil last night and today put in 6 quarts.
Drove till hot, waited an hour and with our original dipstick FT4E=6750-BF, 6 qt showed just short of 1/2 way way on hatch marks.

Added .5 qt drove till hot and after 1 hour wait oil shows right at top hole...
If Ford got it right this time.....I call 6.5 quarts to be perfect.......at least for me.
I plan on going with 6.5 on my first oil change as well. How do you like the ronin so far? I'll be installing that as well.

Montaracactusgrey

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands and Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are you saying that a person like me does not know how to checked the oil..... after 60 years of doing my own oil changes..... I own and change the oil and service all my 14 different vehicles.... YES mine was overfull from the factory is still over full from the factory ( according to the wrong stick that was installed in the Bronco) because I have not changed my oil yet.... and yes... Ford should communicate with the owners also....
Mine was "overfull" as well - I definitely do not have as many years experience but have almost always changed my vehicles oil myself. 100% Ford should issue communications to owners as well as we are not required to have dealers perform maintenance. Oh man, this seemingly unclear information/confusion about wrong stick, quantity, and initial factory fill is annoying.

Montaracactusgrey

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands and Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Somehow I have the feeling that if those posting angry comments in this thread were to insert that dipstick where the sun don't shine, they would find that they too are over filled.
The only accurate thing on this whole thread.

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I plan on going with 6.5 on my first oil change as well. How do you like the ronin so far? I'll be installing that as well.
I just put it on today. So far no leaks! I've had it about 3 months and have read everything I can find. Pretty sure it is going to work just fine.

PS: Make a cardboard shield to extend down into a drain bucket. When you remove the original yellow drain plug the oil really shoots out toward the passenger side and some toward the rear of Bronco.

Sponsored

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Planet_Express_IV

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Is anyone besides me confused? o_O
No, there seems to be a lot of people getting confused, because of the communication coming from Ford from order to delivery, and then with things like this.

If they can't even attach the windshields properly, are we sure they are able to give a correct answer about the oil level?

Basically the SSMs push for a 6 quart service fill now, even though the engine was filled to 7.5 quarts from the factory. They don't explain why 1.5 quarts would remain hung up in the engine, when they only expect 0.5 on most of the other 2.7L applications.

If you want to follow the max fill line on the original dip stick stick to the 6 quart service fill and ignore whatever the factory has done for the initial fill.

If you want to run 7 quarts either know that it will be over the max fill line, or switch to the Raptor stick which was a 7.5 quart service fill on the 3.0L and had allegedly read within the okay range for the 7 quart service fill on the 2.7L, but know that it is not advised by this SSM.

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Had a Ronin drain plug I wanted to install so drained oil last night and today put in 6 quarts.
Drove till hot, waited an hour and with our original dipstick FT4E=6750-BF, 6 qt showed just short of 1/2 way way on hatch marks.

Added .5 qt drove till hot and after 1 hour wait oil shows right at top hole...
If Ford got it right this time.....I call 6.5 quarts to be perfect.......at least for me.
I assume this stick that you have is the new one on the new 2022 modelsā€¦ funny if it is that 6qt does not bring it to the full mark as some suggest here ā€¦that 6qts is what the oil pan hold not 7qt did Ford screw up again or did Ford really screw up on the original stick and did not want to replace them

Sponsored

Garrett301

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2021 Bronco Sport, 2017 Escape
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I ordered the MB3Z-6750-F dip stick two weeks ago from my dealership. It came in on Thursday and I swapped it out with the original one...oil level now reads at the top of the hashed area whereas previously it read well into the twist. I've had two previous oil changes done and both took 7qts resulting in the same (in the twist) reading on the original dipstick which is also where it read upon delivery (presumably with the 7.5qts factory dry fill). I am now at 23k miles+ on my Bronco having taken delivery on 12/18/21...no issues to date. I am not satisfied with the two SSMs Ford has released on this issue (even though SSM 50981 acknowledged running the previously recommended fill level of 7qts would not harm the engine) and feel they owe Bronco owners a bit more of a technical explanation from their engineers as to why running 6qts is now deemed acceptable. Granted, an explanation from Ford may never come, so I'm not holding my breath. I am not a Ford basher, this Bronco is my 14th F-L-M vehicle since 1991 so consider myself somewhat of brand loyalist, but that does not mean I need to blindly accept what is essentially a "because we said so."

TXscooterguy

Black Diamond
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Corvette Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

THIS JUST IN -- BREAKING NEWS FROM FORD'S OFFICE OF DIPSTICK MISINFORMATION -- The newest product number for the Bronco 2.7 motor dipstick is URA-B0Z0-2. Unfortunately, supply chain issues will prevent Bronco owners from purchasing this recently updated and critically important component until model year 2024. In the interim, owners are urged to grab a willow branch, whittle it down a bit and jam it down the dipstick tube. The depth of the oil in the pan will be indicated by the shiny end of the stick. If the owner wishes to, he/she can notch the stick for future reference.

Akinmx

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F150, 2011 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm just as confused as everyone else. I have 9k miles on my Badlands and I've changed the oil twice myself. I put 7 qts in both times and the oil showed well above the fill mark and into the "twist" of my dipstick (#FT4E-6750-BF). I never noticed any performance issues and I was just following Ford's instructions (yes, I know the manual also says not to overfill BUT if you put in the required 7 qts it WILL overfill every time!).

Then after reading the SSM last week where Ford said 6qts is correct (although 7 qts is fine too), I started getting paranoid. I listened for every sound in the engine and how steady my idle was... I decided to drain 1 quart out the other day and now my oil shows right at the fill mark on my dipstick. I have no idea how Ford screwed this up so much and these SSM's coming out seem like a CYA by Ford's lawyers. But I am 100% confident that if and when 2.7l engines start breaking due to oil issues Ford will be facing a large class-action lawsuit.

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm just as confused as everyone else. I have 9k miles on my Badlands and I've changed the oil twice myself. I put 7 qts in both times and the oil showed well above the fill mark and into the "twist" of my dipstick (#FT4E-6750-BF). I never noticed any performance issues and I was just following Ford's instructions (yes, I know the manual also says not to overfill BUT if you put in the required 7 qts it WILL overfill every time!).

Then after reading the SSM last week where Ford said 6qts is correct (although 7 qts is fine too), I started getting paranoid. I listened for every sound in the engine and how steady my idle was... I decided to drain 1 quart out the other day and now my oil shows right at the fill mark on my dipstick. I have no idea how Ford screwed this up so much and these SSM's coming out seem like a CYA by Ford's lawyers. But I am 100% confident that if and when 2.7l engines start breaking due to oil issues Ford will be facing a large class-action lawsuit.
Iā€™m not confusedā€¦Bronco takes 7qtā€¦ Fotd put the wrong stick inā€¦.Iā€™ll use the Raptor stick when it comes in from my orderā€¦ problem solved
Sponsored