Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I ordered the MB3Z-6750-F dip stick two weeks ago from my dealership. It came in on Thursday and I swapped it out with the original one...oil level now reads at the top of the hashed area whereas previously it read well into the twist. I've had two previous oil changes done and both took 7qts resulting in the same (in the twist) reading on the original dipstick which is also where it read upon delivery (presumably with the 7.5qts factory dry fill). I am now at 23k miles+ on my Bronco having taken delivery on 12/18/21...no issues to date. I am not satisfied with the two SSMs Ford has released on this issue (even though SSM 50981 acknowledged running the previously recommended fill level of 7qts would not harm the engine) and feel they owe Bronco owners a bit more of a technical explanation from their engineers as to why running 6qts is now deemed acceptable. Granted, an explanation from Ford may never come, so I'm not holding my breath. I am not a Ford basher, this Bronco is my 14th F-L-M vehicle since 1991 so consider myself somewhat of brand loyalist, but that does not mean I need to blindly accept what is essentially a "because we said so."
I had ordered the MB3Z-6750-B and Ford changed it to the MB3Z-6750-F. So, Ford knew what I am driving. Just saying. 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Personally, I think this is a conspiracy by Ford because they know these engines won't last until the powertrain warranty is up. Regardless if you use 6 or 7 quarts, Ford will tell you that it was incorrect amount of oil and they won't cover the engine loss.
As long as the manual says 7 qts. I really think it's on them if that's what you use.

Trail_Runner

Base
First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150, 97 Jeep TJ, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
If 6-7 qts are fine according to Ford.

Put 7qts in it & don’t change the dip stick.

As long as the oil level is above the low mark you are GTG.

Does the oil level have to show in the middle of the hash marks?….No

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘88 911,‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford Bronco New SSM 51014 released by Ford explaining 2.7 engine dipstick confusion 1660480645258

maybe slap one of these ^ on the back window for when we start blowing seals. Me, l’m just waiting for the recall to replace my fragile valves that were factory installed.

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
Even the oil forums are arguing about this.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/ford-cant-figure-out-2-7l-bronco-oil-capacity.357905/

Every 2021-2022 Ford Bronco 2.7L Ecoboost has the wrong dip stick for the factory and intended service fill potentially had a correct part if they intended it to hold less oil than the 2.3L's 6.2 quart service fill at 6 quarts.

So their solution isn't to fix the dip sticks but to determine that it's much quicker to quietly change the documentation to try and save face and money.

However too many people are noticing this for it to be swept under the rug, and all it does is sow doubt and mistrust that they can't even get a dip stick/ oil level right, let alone the issues with poor glass adhesions etc.
Appears this didn't age well :

"With a long list of additional off-road standards being added to the engineering requirements, one challenge that surfaced was keeping both the 2.3L and 2.7L engines properly lubricated in aggressive terrain. John Kilby, Engine Systems Engineer at Ford, told Bronco Nation that the rear oil sumps were upgraded, and the oil pans enlarged to deliver adequate pressure at a 45 degree downhill angle and a 30 degree side slope –– not bad. The larger pans mean the Bronco will hold seven quarts of oil (the Ranger uses six). This will ensure Bronco engines maintain standards under the demands of off-roading. "

Sponsored

TWise

Outer Banks
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr 2.7 Bronco Outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
At this point, I'm going to need to see a 3rd party video with a 3D CAD drawing showing the intended internal level and total volume before I'll feel safe switching from 7. There's been so much conflicting information. And I don't trust Ford to do the right thing if it hurts the bottom line.

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is awesome.

So, to recap:

1) Engineers design the Bronco engine - information from them is unknown.

2) Ford starts building the engine.

3) Owners manual is printed:

4) Do NOT fill past the Full line. Bronco 2.7 takes 7 qts.

5) Ford fills the engine with 7 quarts - putting the oil level ABOVE the Full line.

6) Confusion ensues for a couple of months. A reliable source states the manual is correct. 7 Quarts to fill a Bronco 2.7. Dipstick reads high - ignored.

7) Community is split with some choosing the "do not pass the Full mark" clause in the owner's manual and others choosing "7 quarts" clause of the owners manual (based on shared engineer statement).

8) New dipstick becomes available that read "full" at 7 quarts. Some of the 7 quart club get it so the reading will be accurate to the 7 quarts in the engine.

9) New info - the original dipstick is correct. The factory is overfilling your engine and the shared engineer statements were wrong. But don't worry, you can put 7 quarts or 6.5 quarts or 6 quarts and it will be fine. You may only put in 5 quarts as long as a 6th quart is to come next. Never 5.5 quarts, unless a half quart shall follow. 8 quarts is likely too much...

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Wrong again. 6.0 quarts is the fill on the 2.3

The 7 qt pan was a rumor, but was never confirmed as far as I know, and obviously never made it to production if Ford is saying it takes 6 quarts.

I’m just going to summarize this because I’m tired of commenting the same thing over and over… According to Ford, the 2.7 and the 2.3 both take 6 quarts of oil, and all of the dip sticks that came in Broncos from the factory are correct. The end.
More info….. John Kilby, Engine Systems Engineer at Ford, told Bronco Nation that the rear oil sumps were upgraded, and the oil pans enlarged to deliver adequate pressure at a 45 degree downhill angle and a 30 degree side slope –– not bad. The larger pans mean the Bronco will hold seven quarts of oil (the Ranger uses six). This will ensure Bronco engines maintain standards under the demands of off-roading. "

OP
OP
Ducati1098

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

More info….. John Kilby, Engine Systems Engineer at Ford, told Bronco Nation that the rear oil sumps were upgraded, and the oil pans enlarged to deliver adequate pressure at a 45 degree downhill angle and a 30 degree side slope –– not bad. The larger pans mean the Bronco will hold seven quarts of oil (the Ranger uses six). This will ensure Bronco engines maintain standards under the demands of off-roading. "
Nobody has any idea when this was quoted. Could have been in pre-production and they decided not to do it. Maybe they scrapped that idea because it wasn’t needed, but the capacity was never adjusted to 6, which is why it said 7 to begin with and now changed to 6. It’s all speculation as of right now.

Get a bronco oil pan next to an f150 and prove me wrong 🤷‍♂️

Either way like I said, I don’t care man.. keep putting 7 quarts in, makes no difference to me or anyone else.

Summit981

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman, MINI GP2, MINI Countryman
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is awesome.

So, to recap:

1) Engineers design the Bronco engine - information from them is unknown.

2) Ford starts building the engine.

3) Owners manual is printed:

4) Do NOT fill past the Full line. Bronco 2.7 takes 7 qts.

5) Ford fills the engine with 7 quarts - putting the oil level ABOVE the Full line.

6) Confusion ensues for a couple of months. A reliable source states the manual is correct. 7 Quarts to fill a Bronco 2.7. Dipstick reads high - ignored.

7) Community is split with some choosing the "do not pass the Full mark" clause in the owner's manual and others choosing "7 quarts" clause of the owners manual (based on shared engineer statement).

8) New dipstick becomes available that read "full" at 7 quarts. Some of the 7 quart club get it so the reading will be accurate to the 7 quarts in the engine.

9) New info - the original dipstick is correct. The factory is overfilling your engine and the shared engineer statements were wrong. But don't worry, you can put 7 quarts or 6.5 quarts or 6 quarts and it will be fine. You may only put in 5 quarts as long as a 6th quart is to come next. Never 5.5 quarts, unless a half quart shall follow. 8 quarts is likely too much...

I fully endorse this Monty Python "Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch" video. 😊

Sponsored

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Nobody has any idea when this was quoted. Could have been in pre-production and they decided not to do it. Maybe they scrapped that idea because it wasn’t needed, but the capacity was never adjusted to 6, which is why it said 7 to begin with and now changed to 6. It’s all speculation as of right now.

Either way like I said, I don’t care man.. keep putting 7 quarts in, makes no difference to me or anyone else.
Last week

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

You are the big Ford person… you. Pull the pans up…. Different part #

OP
OP
Ducati1098

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Last week
Wrong. The article talking about that exact quote is from may 2021, so I’m sure he said it far before then.

You are the big Ford person… you. Pull the pans up…. Different part #
Part numbers don’t mean anything. All 2.7 oil pans have different part numbers, yet they’re all 6 quarts.

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Wrong. The article talking about that exact quote is from may 2021, so I’m sure he said it far before then.

Part numbers don’t mean anything. All 2.7 oil pans have different part numbers, yet they’re all 6 quarts.
So Ford is saying their engineer lied
Sponsored