First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Kind of a radical thought here, haha …. Doesn’t someone who owns a 2.7 Bronco also own a 2.7 EB F150?? If so I d be interested very much on:
1) how dipsticks compare
2) how oil pans compare

if they appear the same wouldn’t that give some credence to if it’s a 6 qt system like the F150??

There’s a hell of a lot of 2.7EB in those pickups and I haven’t heard of them blowing up right and left cause they ‘only run 6 qts’ !

This whole thing seems way to difficult when a comparison MIGHT give some good info.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-62-so-far-august-5-update.31951/post-1207169
Sponsored

Fmuguira

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bmadda, thx for that info!👍

Different pans but wonder if capacity might be the same, ie: IF someone had both ( like Ford) you d think 5 qts could be put in each pan and see if oil marks both same distance from pan rail thus in same locations compared to rotating assembly. ( crank and rods)

just an old country guy thinking “out loud” …

Thx again.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Occam's razor suggests that 7qt was the intended fill, but Ford eventually made a business decision to change spec and instruct dealers to "fill" at 6qt to match the dipstick. Ford can always be expected to do what is in their best interest, so if expected warranty costs are cheaper than a recall and this eliminates overfill complaints, there is no surprise. As customers, we can use available information to decide what is in our best interest.

Since Ford is unlikely to reveal further details, a reasonable approach is to use 6qts for street or modest trail. Use 7qts for aggressive use or if you plan to keep vehicle beyond the warranty.

It will be interesting to see if Ford updates the dipstick and changes spec back to 7qts for future model year.

OP
OP
Ducati1098

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Bmadda, thx for that info!👍

Different pans but wonder if capacity might be the same, ie: IF someone had both ( like Ford) you d think 5 qts could be put in each pan and see if oil marks both same distance from pan rail thus in same locations compared to rotating assembly. ( crank and rods)

just an old country guy thinking “out loud” …

Thx again.
Here’s a slightly better look at the pans. The bronco pan is deeper in the very rear sump area. But the F-150 has a much larger sump area between the middle and rear of the pan, just not as deep. If I had to guess I’d say they hold the same amount. But that’s just my opinion.

Bronco:
Ford Bronco New SSM 51014 released by Ford explaining 2.7 engine dipstick confusion D9D8D34F-4206-4820-ABD4-2283CCE24639

F150:
Ford Bronco New SSM 51014 released by Ford explaining 2.7 engine dipstick confusion 171AD6FF-B0F1-410C-A035-CE5F73BAA9BF

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Here’s a slightly better look at the pans. The bronco pan is deeper in the very rear sump area. But the F-150 has a much larger sump area between the middle and rear of the pan, just not as deep. If I had to guess I’d say they hold the same amount. But that’s just my opinion.

Bronco:
Ford Bronco New SSM 51014 released by Ford explaining 2.7 engine dipstick confusion 171AD6FF-B0F1-410C-A035-CE5F73BAA9BF

F150:
Opinions are like arm pits… every one has 2… and they both stink … :)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ducati1098

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

TXscooterguy

Black Diamond
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Corvette Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

While many have used Occam's Razor to support their simple minded solutions, I tend to use the Gillette Blue Blade Razor model. Blue Blades cut both ways. Thus, it's really a horse a piece - no solution is favored. Pick the solution that makes you smile.

Ford Bronco New SSM 51014 released by Ford explaining 2.7 engine dipstick confusion blueblad

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's about time the oil lobby makes some noise and insist that it is 7. More oil sold means more profits for Daddy Warbucks

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
While many have used Occam's Razor to support their simple minded solutions, I tend to use the Gillette Blue Blade Razor model. Blue Blades cut both ways. Thus, it's really a horse a piece - no solution is favored. Pick the solution that makes you smile.

Ford Bronco New SSM 51014 released by Ford explaining 2.7 engine dipstick confusion blueblad
?????!

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Oil cooler, and lines to turbo will not drain when you change oil so assume these retain 1.5 quarts that you will never remove, it just gets tge new oil immediately dirty.

But if that is only reason then why does a factory filled vehicle still read high on the dipstick?
Exactly. And I was semi-joking about the 1.5 missing quarts. However the idea of leaving 20% of your old oil still in your engine leaves me feeling... Well... Dirty!

And if it is true, you would think that Ford would put in 7.5, which would fill all the lines and then the dipstick would read at six just like when we drain and fill.

I think I've changed my mind. Instead of 6.5, maybe I'll do 6.75 :)

Sponsored

Lake Tahoe Traveler

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2dr BL SASQ, & 1975 Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They already cleared that up in a different SSM about 2 weeks ago. Its 6 quarts
I’m going on Bronco #2….
Both…. (Both 2021 and 2022) oil levels came overfilled from the factory…..

I drained Bronco #1 and measured 6.5 quarts….

Both Broncos measured well into the twist on the dip stick…

So…..

I had the dealership change my oil. They added (7 quarts).

Dip stick measured past the twist….

I had the service writer ask the Ford dealership resources email her back and tell her it was OK to overfill the motor…. That it will not hurt the engine….(that was forwarded to me)

(BS to that). So you can see why folks are completely baffled on Ford’s perplexing position….7 qt ….no 6qts!!!

Ford saying essentially yea we lied to you … and now accept our current position as gospel.

I do accept your efforts to spread the word…
I do, as I have been skeptical about overfilling my oil level….
Thank you ! It’s 6 quarts (I get it)

Having said that, please try to understand the hostility aimed at you….because we have truly got the run around.

Thanks again for the clarification (6 qts/ old dip stick….
PS

Tell FORD to stop overfilling 7.5??????
Oil level way over filled from the get go…..
NOT COOL!!!!!!

Pics: Bronco #2 Aug 3rd 2022 just driven home from dealership

Ford Bronco New SSM 51014 released by Ford explaining 2.7 engine dipstick confusion 9D00CEE4-1ADB-4D86-AA16-424BECC7EC21

Ford Bronco New SSM 51014 released by Ford explaining 2.7 engine dipstick confusion 4C588EF6-BC7F-4A5B-BF68-660FCFD04ECE

Ford Bronco New SSM 51014 released by Ford explaining 2.7 engine dipstick confusion D005547B-4024-41C7-B077-FFCFA53EE85B

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ducati1098

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

going on Bronco #2….
Both…. (Both 2021 and 2022) oil levels came overfilled from the factory…..

drained#1 and measured 6.5 quarts….

again Both Broncos measured well into the twist on the dip stick…
So…..

had the dealership change my oil (7 quarts)
Dip stick measured past the twist….

had the service writer ask rep ask the dealership ford resources email her back and tell her it was OK to overfill the motor…. That it will not hurt the engine….

(BS to that). So you can see why folks are completely baffled on Ford’s perplexing position….7 qt ….no 6qts!!!

saying essentially yea we lied to you … and now accept our current position as gospel.

I do accept your Efforts to spread the word…
I do as I have been skeptical about overfilling my oil level….
Thank you It’s 6 quarts (I get it)

Having said that please try to understand the hostility aimed at you….because we have truly got the run around.

thanks again for the clarification (6 qts/ old dip stick….
PS

Tell FORD to stop overfilling 7.5??????
Oil level way over filled from the get go…..
NOT COOL!!!!!!

9D00CEE4-1ADB-4D86-AA16-424BECC7EC21.jpeg

4C588EF6-BC7F-4A5B-BF68-660FCFD04ECE.jpeg

D005547B-4024-41C7-B077-FFCFA53EE85B.jpeg
I definitely understand why people are confused. Like I said from the beginning, I’m just posting the information I see from Ford. People can do whatever they want with it.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
What's that?
That? That is what my order looks like with the extra special 2.7 Delete Package.

jackwise

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Holy smokes. Why do people think they know more than Ford?

Makes absolutely zero sense.

SSM on oil capacity SSM on dipstick. Case closed.

So ridiculous.

I'm a few days late to this party but I had to laugh hard at this one. Why do people think they know more than Ford? Let me give you but one example: "lifetime transmission fluid"

THAT'S why.
Sponsored