Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250, Ford Expedition Max, Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco New Steering Problems while on Epic Adventure 2675A5D0-73B9-4DC8-A4D0-3ECCC072AC65
2.7, Bad, Sas, 3” Zone Lift, 37” KO2s, JKS Tie Rod Sleeves, Broncbuster Bushing, aired down to 9 lbs

While wheeling at Gruber ORV Park today with my Dad, I encountered a new steering issue that I thought was going to leave me stranded more than once. I should preface this with the fact that we put the Bronco through its paces big time on this trip before it started. Lots of rock crawling, climbing ledges, dropping off big ledges, and mud holes that definitely made us pause.

We were on a trail I had never been down and came to a felled tree that caused us to have to turn around. After making a 672 point turn in the trees to get turned around I was trying to squeeze back between two trees that were rubbing my rock rails on both sides when the steering completely locked up at a full left lock. Not ideal timing. We thought were going to have to walk back out but I gave it enough time and eventually it started working with me hauling on the steering wheel as hard as I could. We worked back out of the trees, gave it about five more minutes and the steering came back.
Before everyone starts presuming it’s because of the lift and angle of the tie rods, this was at normal angle on relatively flat ground. There was no more upward pressure on the rack than when driving down the highway. I also can’t figure out why letting it cool off made it work again.
At that point we were able to get going again and it worked fine for another 10 minutes until
We came back to the mud holes. When trying to figure out how to get through (trees everywhere and very few angles we could fit through) it happened again after the first set of mud holes. I let it cool off again for a few minutes and it went back to working.
That’s when we made a huge mistake. The first time we came through these mud holes, I told my Dad I didn’t want to go through the straight route because there was a really big mud hole and I didn’t know what was in it. This time he told me why not try it because it cant be worse than the turning ruts full of mud and water that we went through the first time. Like an idiot, I said “why not”. We dove off into it and when we got to the middle, the passenger side sunk. Water was up to my Dad’s window (sitting in the passenger seat). He said “Well I was wrong”. I tried to gun it out, no go. I through it in reverse, made it about four feet and no go. Through it forward and made it a little further, then no go. I threw it in reverse again and realized I didn’t have my front locker in. Punched the button and it launched us out backwards.
My Dad kept saying “I can’t believe we made it out of that” and shaking his head. We took my path on out and when climbing ledges back up the original path,the steering locked up again. I disengaged the trail control (one pedal) in case it was brake related. It was better but still not right. I let it cool off again and it eventually went right back to working. Made it the rest of the way out and all the way back home without another incident.
Cooling off doesn’t really make sense on a rack and pinion unless it’s electronic related. There is no oil in that system that I’m aware of that could have gotten hot. I am in no way an expert on rack and pinion steering. I’m hoping someone on here has some ideas about where to start looking. It’s a little scary when this happens on the trail (but not as scary as sinking your bronco).
On a side note, this machine is an absolute beast. It will climb a wall with both lockers engaged. I still can’t believe we got out of that mud hole / pond. I have no idea how I’ll ever get it clean again.
Ford Bronco New Steering Problems while on Epic Adventure 762704AA-9A09-4F39-9172-99E084BCA74D

Ford Bronco New Steering Problems while on Epic Adventure 0A3BD248-6A50-44B6-8CD8-B9DB99245D97

Edit: Confirmed this is an overheating issue with the steering assist motor where the system puts it into either limp mode or manual steering mode due to the motor over heating. Not confirmed yet what the cause of the overheating is though there are many possibilities discussed in the thread. I’ll post again when I get a chance to confirm causes.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Before everyone starts presuming it’s because of the lift and angle of the tie rods, this was at normal angle on relatively flat ground.
you’re in luck, I’m not going to presume it’s just the lift and angle of the tie rods.

I’d put money that it’s the lift, angle of the tie rods, and your 37s.

from what you say, im not sure if you want my opinion, so what I will say is if im correct, it’ll happen more as your steering rack is destroying itself from the inside.

Last edited:

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nautilus, Samurai, 12v Dodge, Fiero, Karma Ghia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
you’re in luck, I’m not going to presume it’s just the lift and angle of the tie rods.

I’d put money that it’s the lift, angle of the tie rods, and your 37s.

from what you say, im not sure if you want my opinion, so what I will say is if im correct, it’ll happen more as your steering rack is destroying itself from the inside.
Look.... he doesn't want people to tell him that it's his fault. We need to band together and figure out how this is Ford's fault.

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nautilus, Samurai, 12v Dodge, Fiero, Karma Ghia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Someone on this board did have a similar issue with the steering messing up, but I don't remember the details. I want to say it was Bronco buster and how the steering came off the track but yours does seem to suggest it's heat related.

Don't the Broncos have electric steering?

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Someone on this board did have a similar issue with the steering messing up, but I don't remember the details. I want to say it was Bronco buster and how the steering came off the track but yours does seem to suggest it's heat related.

Yep
So I don’t know how forcing the wheel would make the wheels turn

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

3 mode; comfort, normal, sport
and steering assist safety feature

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
shawn6107

shawn6107

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What I was trying to say in my original post is that it doesn’t make sense to me that the angle of the tie rods would be the problem in this situation. That doesn’t mean they’re not the problem all together. I’m trying to figure it out. I’ve only had the lift and 37s for a few weeks now.
For those who are actually trying to think constuctively and help me figure this out, thank you.

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just because the power steering is electric doesn't mean it doesn't get hot. My guess is the assist motor got hot enough to trip whatever thermal protection Ford uses on it (thermal breaker of some type I assume). There may be codes stored in the PSCM for overheat protection etc. Recommend you check for codes, and don't erase them in case you want to show your dealer

EDIT: This is from ALLDATA:

Failure Modes

When a DTC is present in the PSCM, the EPAS enters 1 of 2 modes of operation.

Limp Home Mode - The EPAS enters a limp home mode when an internal failure occurs but operation on a backup system is possible. This failure mode gives the steering operation a heavier than normal feel in all driving conditions. A warning message is illuminated in the message center indicating a potential EPAS concern.

Reduced Steering Assist Mode - The EPAS enters a reduced steering assist mode to protect the internal components of the EPAS when a non-critical safety concern is detected by the PSCM, concerns such as low battery voltage, high battery voltage or over-temperature are considered non-critical safety concerns. This reduced steering assist mode gives the steering operation a heavier than normal feel.

Manual Steering Mode - The EPAS enters a manual steering mode (no electrical steering assistance is provided) when a concern considered to be a critical safety concern is detected. In manual steering mode, the vehicle has mechanical steering only which gives the steering operation a heavy feel.

Last edited:

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

How long has the bushing been installed? Recently? Don’t see how that could be the problem but Its possible. Just for for reference I Installed 1.5 wheel spacers few months back and I took them off because it made the steering feel stiffer like the rack was working harder to turn the tires with the more aggressive offset I added. I just added front bumper and winch and I also noticed right off the bat that the wheel feels a little stiffer while turning when stopped. Both my scenarios have lead me to believe the rack isn’t just weak structurally it’s also mechanically weak. Too bad we can’t do hydro assist like jeeps.

OP
OP
shawn6107

shawn6107

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just because the power steering is electric doesn't mean it doesn't get hot. My guess is the assist motor got hot enough to trip whatever thermal protection Ford uses on it (thermal breaker of some type I assume). There may be codes stored in the PSCM for overheat protection etc. Recommend you check for codes, and don't erase them in case you want to show your dealer

EDIT: This is from ALLDATA:

Failure Modes

When a DTC is present in the PSCM, the EPAS enters 1 of 2 modes of operation.

Limp Home Mode - The EPAS enters a limp home mode when an internal failure occurs but operation on a backup system is possible. This failure mode gives the steering operation a heavier than normal feel in all driving conditions. A warning message is illuminated in the message center indicating a potential EPAS concern.

Reduced Steering Assist Mode - The EPAS enters a reduced steering assist mode to protect the internal components of the EPAS when a non-critical safety concern is detected by the PSCM, concerns such as low battery voltage, high battery voltage or over-temperature are considered non-critical safety concerns. This reduced steering assist mode gives the steering operation a heavier than normal feel.

Manual Steering Mode - The EPAS enters a manual steering mode (no electrical steering assistance is provided) when a concern considered to be a critical safety concern is detected. In manual steering mode, the vehicle has mechanical steering only which gives the steering operation a heavy feel.
I’ve been researching this more this morning and I feel confident this is it. It’s overheating and going into limp mode or manual mode. It makes sense that it only happens when the tires are aired way down. The extra stress on the steering assist motor causes it to over heat. BMW’s have the same problem in race conditions and their answer is to turn the car off and back on to reset the system. Ford’s system has been resetting itself when it cools off enough and I haven’t tried turning it off and back on again when the failure happened because I don’t want to do that to the turbos. However, the symptoms all fit.

I’ll check the codes with Forscan when I get back home next week and update the post. My guess is the only fix will be to upgrade to the Hoss 3.0 Steering system if it has a bigger steering assist motor. If it doesn’t, I don’t know what the next step is but I will consult my local Ford dealer and see if they have any ideas. Maybe the aftermarket will eventually come out with something.

OP
OP
shawn6107

shawn6107

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep
So I don’t know how forcing the wheel would make the wheels turn
Manual steering mode is how. You can see in the other replies it’s a part of Ford’s system when overheating or other failures occur.