Sponsored

New to Ford. Overall Bronco reliability and turbo engine expectations?

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Didn't know that about the Chevy 3.6, that's too bad. I agree - the midsize market has really weak engine options. Jeep needs the 5.7 Hemi in the Wrangler, and Toyota needs to bring back that smaller V8 they had (4.6 or 4.7?) and put it in the Tacoma (that, or supercharge the 3.5 V6).

I agree with someone else who mentioned that Japanese-built Toyotas are still reliable. The 4Runner and the Landcruiser (and the FJ-Cruiser while it was in production) are examples of Japanese-built Toyotas that have excellent build quality. The 4Runner is so much better built than the Tacoma (our family owns both).
That 4th Gen 4Runner V8 is really a diamond, I’ve driven V8s with twice the power as that Lexus V8 but honestly the V8 4Runner engine was just perfectly matched to the truck, never felt (in stock form) like you need more.
Then they bumped up HP numbers on the 4.0 for the 5th gen and told everyone “good enough” ?

For a short while though the midsize market was the place to be. V8 Dakota, LS V8 H3/H3T, V8 4Runner; even Ford had V8 Explorer.
Sponsored

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Having owned Yodas and Fords, I can tell you Toyota quality is on a whole other level. Lots of used Yodas around with 200-300,000 miles. The problem is the 4runner is a dinosaur (all their trucks are). The Eco Boost is a great engine. I anticipate a bunch of problems with the rest of the Bronco but it's such a cool truck.
I am in the concerned camp as far a quality goes. I have been driving Toyotas for the past 15 years and they are hands down the best quality vehicles you can buy. The problem is that they sell so many, they don't have to update their designs. I would buy a Lexus GX or 4-Runner in a second if either wasn't a 10+ year old design with no refresh in sight. I'm taking a chance on Ford, lets hope it works out.

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
the 2.3 is a great engine don't let any carbon talk steer you away.
Exactly. And if your worried install a catch can. Boom done. ?

makatron

Badlands
First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu D-Max 3.0L 4-cylinder diesel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That 4th Gen 4Runner V8 is really a diamond, I’ve driven V8s with twice the power as that Lexus V8 but honestly the V8 4Runner engine was just perfectly matched to the truck, never felt (in stock form) like you need more.
Then they bumped up HP numbers on the 4.0 for the 5th gen and told everyone “good enough” ?

For a short while though the midsize market was the place to be. V8 Dakota, LS V8 H3/H3T, V8 4Runner; even Ford had V8 Explorer.
But with the twin turbo EcoBoost V6 Raptor being way faster than the old 6.2L original Raptor proves that yeah the V8 sound way better but in terms of power they aren't needed anymore.

Omarius

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JCW
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think I'll stick with the 2.3 even though I'm not happy about the carbon issues. I'll throw on a catch can, and maybe water/meth. I just want the manual transmission, so I'll stick to whatever engine they give me.

I just don't want to drop the coin on a Shimano 10 speed and the 2.7 purely for performance only for the performance to be obsolete a couple years later when they bring a 3.0 for the Raptor or Warthog or whatever.

Sponsored

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think I'll stick with the 2.3 even though I'm not happy about the carbon issues. I'll throw on a catch can, and maybe water/meth. I just want the manual transmission, so I'll stick to whatever engine they give me.

I just don't want to drop the coin on a Shimano 10 speed and the 2.7 purely for performance only for the performance to be obsolete a couple years later when they bring a 3.0 for the Raptor or Warthog or whatever.
My thoughts as well. The 2.7L would be awesome, but one of my must-haves is the manual transmission. The 2.3L is a tried-and-mostly-true engine. I'm actually really okay with it as there's tons of data out there showing its a great engine with some known minor issues that can be avoided and/or maintained.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but just do what everyone says: use good gas, change the oil routinely, install a catch can if you want, clean or replace the injectors when necessary.

I prefer that over gambling on a new engine we haven't learned what the issues are yet

SMUG50

Wildtrak
First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lexus GX, 2017 Acura MDX
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I had the 2.7L in the F150 work truck, before the powertrain warranty was even up a turbo failed and multiple engine pan leaks came up. After my experience with it I’m going for the 2.3L - though I’m hearing issues about that engine having coking issues.

If your coming from a 4Runner your just not going to get that build quality. It’s not stopping me on the Bronco, maybe I’ve just always been lucky with my vehicles and I’ve never bought a personal vehicle that’s had major issues. So I’m rolling the dice.
I am a constant believer that what makes the toyota engines really last long is its lack of turbo added on. It (turbo) just put strain on the engine in general. Im no expert so any comments in the contrary would be appreciated for the sake of better info. Still cant wait to get my Wildtrak tho.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am a constant believer that what makes the toyota engines really last long is its lack of turbo added on. It (turbo) just put strain on the engine in general. Im no expert so any comments in the contrary would be appreciated for the sake of better info. Still cant wait to get my Wildtrak tho.
Turbos without a doubt hurt the reliability of an engine, you can’t gain multiple systems, additional moving part and not expect a decrease in overall reliability. Regardless if it’s from Toyota or Ford.
I’m sure there are examples of perfectly reliable ecoboosts going 250k+ but parts are going to fail no matter the brand. Adding additional major components is never going to result in increased reliability. That’s not to say you should run from the Bronco, but I think they made a big mistake by not offering the V8 or at least a N/A V6.

Omarius

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JCW
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think Toyota engines last because they design it once, and then sell it for 20 years.

The parallel, for example, would be released the Bronco with the modular 4.6 that was in the crown vic from the late 90s onwards. No one would doubt the Bronco's reliability.

That mod 4.6 and Toyota's 4.0 are nearly the same age, and that's the secret to Toyota's reliability. Categorically mediocre specs, and just keep it in production forever. If issues come up, they iterate some fixes, until there aren't any issues left.

There is some benefit to the 2.3, in that its had its major teething issues in the Focus RS, and has been run for a while in the Mustang, but you're right, I doubt it'll ever be as reliable as a Toyota.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think Toyota engines last because they design it once, and then sell it for 20 years.

The parallel, for example, would be released the Bronco with the modular 4.6 that was in the crown vic from the late 90s onwards. No one would doubt the Bronco's reliability.

That mod 4.6 and Toyota's 4.0 are nearly the same age, and that's the secret to Toyota's reliability. Categorically mediocre specs, and just keep it in production forever. If issues come up, they iterate some fixes, until there aren't any issues left.

There is some benefit to the 2.3, in that it's had its major teething issues in the Focus RS, and has been run for a while in the Mustang, but you're right, I doubt it'll ever be as reliable as a Toyota.
I think when we’re taking Fords it’s preferential to not mention the Focus when it comes to any topic of reliability. That cars transmission and Fords response has sullied a lot of would be buyers from ever coming back.

I think Toyota’s response to fixing issues is a big part of why Toyota is known for their reliability. That 4.0L is a world class engine that can be trusted even on low grade fuel.

Sponsored

Zero_chance

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.southvalleymustang.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm new to the Ford market. I'll admit, I've never been a Ford person but I'm very intrigued with this Bronco platform. I've owned Tacoma's and 4 Runners in the past. Initial pricing for the Black Diamond package seems to be competitive with both Toyota off roaders. Can anyone give me an idea of Ford reliability and maybe what to expect with these turbo engines? Thanks for any responses.
Ford engines are very reliable compared to say Jeep for example. Bear in mind however that turbos are constantly under extreme heat and some models can spin well up over 100k RPMs. Regular oil changes will help as that’s where they get their lubricant from, but a turbo will fail long before the motor.

guzie

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru WRX sti, 2019 Ford Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Turbos without a doubt hurt the reliability of an engine, you can’t gain multiple systems, additional moving part and not expect a decrease in overall reliability. Regardless if it’s from Toyota or Ford.
I’m sure there are examples of perfectly reliable ecoboosts going 250k+ but parts are going to fail no matter the brand. Adding additional major components is never going to result in increased reliability. That’s not to say you should run from the Bronco, but I think they made a big mistake by not offering the V8 or at least a N/A V6.
You do realize turbos are old tech that have been running for years in vehicles with no issues. A turbo actually adds one moving component with the turbo itself. It’s powered off the exhaust. It’s not a complex system that all of a sudden shortens the life of an engine once installed. Engine longevity is about proper maintenance and not doing something that is detrimental to the life of it. Taking a engine package designed to make 300hp turbocharged for an example and asking to make 500hp on stock components. That typically is a recipe for disaster since car manufactures aren’t typically building a high ceiling in their engines to take nearly double the power. An engine is a big air pump and a turbo just increases the volume of air pumped through it, therefore making more power. Your statement is just nonsense.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
You do realize turbos are old tech that have been running for years in vehicles with no issues. A turbo actually adds one moving component with the turbo itself. It’s powered off the exhaust. It’s not a complex system that all of a sudden shortens the life of an engine once installed. Engine longevity is about proper maintenance and not doing something that is detrimental to the life of it. Taking a engine package designed to make 300hp turbocharged for an example and asking to make 500hp on stock components. That typically is a recipe for disaster since car manufactures aren’t typically building a high ceiling in their engines to take nearly double the power. An engine is a big air pump and a turbo just increases the volume of air pumped through it, therefore making more power. Your statement is just nonsense.
How is my statement nonsense?
Adding a turbocharger, intercooler, associated piping and wiring means extra components that are not on N/A engines.

I’m well aware of the history of turbos, by nature of adding components not on a N/A engine you are increasing failure points. You cannot deny this simple truth. This was true of turbos in the past just as much as it is today.

To further illustrate my point, disconnect the turbo in your engine compartment and see how far you can drive without it.

SCH

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My current ride is a 2018 F150 with the 2.7. About 47k miles without issue. Gas mileage is pretty good for a full-size 4x4 truck. I was a little weary of getting a turbo engine but I figured nobody really questions the reliability of the diesels these days so why not. Having said that, I’m sure my truck will now break down tomorrow.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
My current ride is a 2018 F150 with the 2.7. About 47k miles without issue. Gas mileage is pretty good for a full-size 4x4 truck. I was a little weary of getting a turbo engine but I figured nobody really questions the reliability of the diesels these days so why not. Having said that, I’m sure my truck will now break down tomorrow.
My work 2.7L I had left me stranded about 1,000 miles from home when a turbo blew out. Combined with multiple oil pan leaks I’m completely over that engine. It got replaced with a 5.3L and I’ve been much happier.

Obviously my case isn’t like everyone else’s but given the choice I see no benefit in downsizing to a small turbo engine.
Sponsored