Sponsored

New to Ford. Overall Bronco reliability and turbo engine expectations?

buildbigboats

Black Diamond
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How is my statement nonsense?
Adding a turbocharger, intercooler, associated piping and wiring means extra components that are not on N/A engines.

I’m well aware of the history of turbos, by nature of adding components not on a N/A engine you are increasing failure points. You cannot deny this simple truth. This was true of turbos in the past just as much as it is today.

To further illustrate my point, disconnect the turbo in your engine compartment and see how far you can drive without it.
On a related note...I was thinking about the 2.7 with both direct and port injection vs the 2.3 with just direct. Understand the carbon issue on the 2.3 but seems like the 2.7 adds twice the number of injectors, additional lower pressure pump, more hoses, lines, connector etc...more gadgetry...more possible failure points or at least stuff to monitor
Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
On a related note...I was thinking about the 2.7 with both direct and port injection vs the 2.3 with just direct. Understand the carbon issue on the 2.3 but seems like the 2.7 adds twice the number of injectors, additional lower pressure pump, more hoses, lines, connector etc...more gadgetry...more possible failure points or at least stuff to monitor
Yea I’m aware, that along with my personal history of the 2.7 really doesn’t put that engine into a good light in my mind.

I’ll continue to express my frustration for both of these engine options, everyone’s so hung up on peak HP and Torque figures they cannot see the forest for the trees.

There’s something to be said for a N/A engine with no direct injection, no high pressure fuel pumps and no chance of coking. Worrying about the 2.3L coking up is taking me back to the days of adjusting carbs and points.

SCH

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My work 2.7L I had left me stranded about 1,000 miles from home when a turbo blew out. Combined with multiple oil pan leaks I’m completely over that engine. It got replaced with a 5.3L and I’ve been much happier.

Obviously my case isn’t like everyone else’s but given the choice I see no benefit in downsizing to a small turbo engine.
Only Ford to leave me stranded was a 5.4 in my 2006 Super Duty. Some type of EFI module went out without any warning. I look at all modern vehicles as being incredibly complicated machines that can be expensive to fix outside of warranty. My 1975 CJ-5 is still fairly easy to work on but anything new I basically just change oil etc.....

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Only Ford to leave me stranded was a 5.4 in my 2006 Super Duty. Some type of EFI module went out without any warning. I look at all modern vehicles as being incredibly complicated machines that can be expensive to fix outside of warranty. My 1975 CJ-5 is still fairly easy to work on but anything new I basically just change oil etc.....
That small engine was probably tired of hauling that heavy ass truck ?

I never did understand the rationing of that engine in the super duty...

SCH

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That small engine was probably tired of hauling that heavy ass truck ?

I never did understand the rationing of that engine in the super duty...
You’re not kidding, I always figured all 8 pistons would punch through the hood the way it revved before I’d have some kind of module go out. ?

Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
You’re not kidding, I always figured all 8 pistons would punch through the hood the way it revved before I’d have some kind of module go out. ?
I used to have a 2010 extended cab 2500HD 6.0 work truck, I would need to floor that thing and let it hold 5kRPM for minutes at a time for it to pull some of the loads it hauled. I remember one tank I averaged 4.2MPG that was a record for me. Damn thing was invincible though, last I saw it had well over 250k miles.

Was a good engine but I still wonder why GM got rid of the much better suited 8.1L. Glad to see Ford come out with the 7.3L to reignite the big gas engine race.

Reactions: SCH

Bradnewt

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has anyone heard how the Broncos are holding up through all of these ride along events? I haven't see or heard anything about real world reliability. These Broncos have definitely been put through the ringer. I would like to know if there have been any break-downs and what they were.

FlyingBronco

Badlands
First Name
The Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Has anyone heard how the Broncos are holding up through all of these ride along events? I haven't see or heard anything about real world reliability. These Broncos have definitely been put through the ringer. I would like to know if there have been any break-downs and what they were.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/ride-with-shelby-hall-and-more-supercel-east.15883/

The driver, Shelby Hall, mentions it real quick in this video. Like stampede1 mentioned, they are pre-production. No major issues yet, except her swaybar disconnect wasn't working lol hopefully an easy fix for production!

Saddle Tramp

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F350, 2019 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Two drivers at Moab, told me they had about 2500 mi on them at that point, no mechanical breakdowns, some computer issues!

Last edited:

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have to imagine these pre-production units are getting the crap beaten out of them on the trails, and many km's (***miles) added daily traveling from event to event. I would imagine any issues popping up are being sent to Ford ASAP to review as well.

I'm still opting for the extended warranty for mine though. Peace of mind more than anything for these $80k computers on wheels.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They are built of the existing Ranger platform, 2.7 10sp is widely used, should be good overall. Alleys some teething issues. Think electronics and things like the windows, top sealing, unique design elements.

NoTestDrive

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 VW Touareg
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When I rode along in Moab the trail turn assist took a few tries to work. It may have been the GOAT mode we were in, those are more complicated to use than you might think.

I think the prototypes are for working out those kinks.

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've only heard of a few minor issues, plus a couple disco problems. However if you're familiar with the failure rate of the wrangler disco the Broncos have been very reliable by comparison I think.
Sponsored