Sponsored

New to Ford. Overall Bronco reliability and turbo engine expectations?

JO15

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm new to the Ford market. I'll admit, I've never been a Ford person but I'm very intrigued with this Bronco platform. I've owned Tacoma's and 4 Runners in the past. Initial pricing for the Black Diamond package seems to be competitive with both Toyota off roaders. Can anyone give me an idea of Ford reliability and maybe what to expect with these turbo engines? Thanks for any responses.
Sponsored

broncoSJ

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve owned many Fords. Both Older and newer - 2 Cougar XR7s, Mustang GT, 2 Focus SVTs and will be getting a 4 door Wildtrak. Never had a problem with any of them. The 5.0 engine was bulletproof. The Sync on the newer Focus was great. I had more issues with my Hondas and BMWs over the years. Also, we have many F150s and Escapes with my company. No issues. The 2.7 in the F150 is great.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had the 2.7L in the F150 work truck, before the powertrain warranty was even up a turbo failed and multiple engine pan leaks came up. After my experience with it I’m going for the 2.3L - though I’m hearing issues about that engine having coking issues.

If your coming from a 4Runner your just not going to get that build quality. It’s not stopping me on the Bronco, maybe I’ve just always been lucky with my vehicles and I’ve never bought a personal vehicle that’s had major issues. So I’m rolling the dice.

lrtexasman

Black Diamond
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL traded for 23 Tundra waiting on BD Order
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have the small eco in my work car, 2017 Fusion. I have 100k miles with zero issues while averaging 26 MPG in mixed driving. Only complaint is the rattling wastegate on the eco from time to time. I even got used to the stop start.

Sponsored

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I put 50k miles on a Focus ST (2.0 Turbo) and 100k miles on 3.5 Ecoboost F-150. Both 100% trouble free. The 2.7 is a great engine and was improved upon after 2018 with the 2nd generation of it. The history of the Ecoboost actually goes all the way back 2001. The MZR line of mazda engines were the foundation for what is the Ecoboost today. Ford knows how to build turbocharged gasoline engines.

OP
OP

JO15

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I had the 2.7L in the F150 work truck, before the powertrain warranty was even up a turbo failed and multiple engine pan leaks came up. After my experience with it I’m going for the 2.3L - though I’m hearing issues about that engine having coking issues.

If your coming from a 4Runner your just not going to get that build quality. It’s not stopping me on the Bronco, maybe I’ve just always been lucky with my vehicles and I’ve never bought a personal vehicle that’s had major issues. So I’m rolling the dice.
Thanks for the reply. The Toyotas have always been great for me but I'm ready for some updated tech and transmission. Will probably give the bronco a try. Thanks again.

OP
OP

JO15

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ve owned many Fords. Both Older and newer - 2 Cougar XR7s, Mustang GT, 2 Focus SVTs and will be getting a 4 door Wildtrak. Never had a problem with any of them. The 5.0 engine was bulletproof. The Sync on the newer Focus was great. I had more issues with my Hondas and BMWs over the years. Also, we have many F150s and Escapes with my company. No issues. The 2.7 in the F150 is great.
Both current gen 2.3 and 2.7 EcoBoosts are good. I, for myself, I am planning to trade my Tacoma for a Bronco Badlands 4-door.
Glad to see some Tacoma owners on here. I'm looking at the Black Diamond trim for the marine grade seats and rubber flooring. I've got a 9 month old that will eventually start trashing the interior. Is this option only available on Black Diamond and above trims?

Sponsored

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Glad to see some Tacoma owners on here. I'm looking at the Black Diamond trim for the marine grade seats and rubber flooring. I've got a 9 month old that will eventually start trashing the interior. Is this option only available on Black Diamond and above trims?
Are you getting the 4-door Black Diamond?

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tacoma owner here. My 17 has some quirks. I’d say the build quality is average at best. I Feel like Toyota got lazy with the third gen Tacoma.

OP
OP

JO15

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Tacoma owner here. My 17 has some quirks. I’d say the build quality is average at best. I Feel like Toyota got lazy with the third gen Tacoma.
I have to agree with that. My 18 Tacoma was nice, but did have some transmission issues and limited interior space. For the price, I would like to hope that the Bronco will offer more space and the transmission should provide better shifting. Thanks for sharing.

EcobeastRyan

Base
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 fusion se
Your Bronco Model
Base
I currently have a 17’ 2.0eb fusion and I love the engine. 55k miles with no problems. There’s already a decent aftermarket for both 2.3 and 3.7 EcoBoost motors.
Sponsored