Sponsored

New to Ford. Overall Bronco reliability and turbo engine expectations?

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The annual JD Powers vehicle dependability study is probably the best indicator of overall vehicle manufacturer's reliability.
For 2020, Toyota is #5, Ford is #10, not bad. Jeep is #26 (out of 32).
My 17' Tacoma has been excellent, but as others have said, it needs more power. My 17' w/ a TRD intake and exhaust, OV 92 tune, and ect button always on, is barely adequate. I'm going to be watching the reports and potential mods for the 2.7l EB.
Sponsored

aplm7

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer 2015
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

From my understanding, Ford dealer's will not perform the injector cleaner process as it is "not recommended". For those of us who prefer to use the dealer for our service.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 S550 / 94 Cobra SVT #13
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As far as the 2.3 version:

Thereā€™s a S550 M6G owner who has a EB Mustang with over 150k on it already - and has not had a single issue with reliability of the engine or turbo - nor has had any of the online ā€˜storiesā€™ occur regarding internal coking or excessive carbon build up. He has maintained the engine with normal maintenance/oil change intervals.

I myself had a previous 2016 S550 EB w/ PP that accrued over 37k on it without ever an engine or turbo issue (that vehicle ended up being a Ford Buy Back for other reasons). That Buy Back resulted in me getting into a new S550 2018 EB /PP w/10R80 in Feb 2018; the car now has almost 40k on it - again with no engine or turbo reliability concerns.

The 2.3 Turbo is very stout and itā€™s a proven platform after being used in multiple Ford models now. It also has had a very large aftermarket following since the mid 80ā€™s -granted technology and performance has changed through the years, the basics are still the same and very reliable.

If youā€™re doing the normal maintenance/oil changes as recommended - any drivetrain will last quite a while.

HotRodLA

Wildtrak
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Super Duty, 2018 Street Glide
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've owned all types of vehicles from Blazers to Samurais to Jeep Rubicons. Enjoyed each and every one of them. Worked on them a lot as well but I enjoy that also. Nothing like buying a clunker and bringing it back to life. I've owned 4 Fords since the late 80's and never had a single problem out of them. I started purchasing Toyota's in the late 90's and they have been bullet proof as well. I just got rid of possibly my favorite vehicle I've ever owned. It was a 2005 4runner with a 4.7 V8. Lots of miles but just a solid vehicle. I'm purchasing a Badlands 2 door with the Sasquatch package and the 2.7. My son has that engine in his F150 and absolutely loves it. I believe the 2.7 will be a perfect fit in my Bronco!

tokyo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
siennavenzasparkXDfit
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My 2018 F150 with 2.7EB and 10-speed trans only has 40k miles but has had zero issues and is very fun to drive.

I think the bronco with that same combo will have no problems.. except maybe speeding tickets..

Sponsored

makatron

Badlands
First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu D-Max 3.0L 4-cylinder diesel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After all this I'm still all for the Ecoboost, especially now since it's been improved since my 3.5. I will opt for the 2.7 though due to the port injection.
Actually it's both port and direct injection (PFDI) which is even better.

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'll be sure to compare the 2. Saying that I really do love my 4Runner and had no intentions on getting out of it until the bronco release.

I've already been banned from the TRD Pro FB page when I asked how many people would be jumping ship for the Bronco. It started a shit show. I even made it very clear I would still have one 4runner in the garage. :LOL::ROFLMAO:
I have a 2015 4runner. I popped on the 4Runner forum to see what they were saying about the bronco. Nothing but a bunch of crap talking about it. But these guys are hardcore 4Runner owners. I didnā€™t bother to mention I already put a deposit down on my bronco. I do love my 4Runner. Itā€™s been great. But that bronco though... itā€™s so much more exciting. I canā€™t wait.

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What are some ways to combat carbon buildup on the 2.3? This is the engine I plan to get.
Replace injectors about every 60,000 miles and clean the throttle body often. The carbon buildup on valves is pretty impossible to clean.

Not to say it wonā€™t go for a long time, just need to keep it clean or youā€™ll start seeing trouble codes and engine skipping.

Last edited:

buildbigboats

Black Diamond
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What are some ways to combat carbon buildup on the 2.3? This is the engine I plan to get.
Good gas, good oil changed regularly, CRC Intake Valve Cleaner (part#05319) every or every other oil change and if you feel like it a catch can from someone like UPR

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I think the engine and trans will be just fine. I love the 10speed in my F-150, I have 60K miles on truck. Trans holds up fine with the 3.5 EcoBoost which has more hp and torque in a heavier vehicle. I also pull a boat with it, no issues.

My son in law has the 2.7 EcoBoost in his F-150 no issues, it move his crew cab 4x4 very well. Plenty of power and get up and go.

So they should make a very nice reliable combination in the Bronco Badlands

Sponsored

BroncBro

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The thing I canā€™t get past in the Tacoma is the dang rear legroom.... might as well be in the back of a mustang.
Sadly, the Tacoma has more hip and shoulder room in the front and back.

aplm7

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer 2015
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Good gas, good oil changed regularly, CRC Intake Valve Cleaner (part#05319) every or every other oil change and if you feel like it a catch can from someone like UPR
Have you ever had a valve cleaner done on a Ford Ecoboost engine? Or known anyone that actually does it?? I am pretty sure no dealer service center will do that. AND there's a gigantic debate raging everywhere I look online whether it can break anything by doing it. Everyone cautions it with a lot of warnings. One guy even said the only safe way to do it is have them take everything apart and do a Walnut blast to clear it

Example https://www.fordescape.org/threads/crc-intake-valve-turbo-cleaner-yes-ive-searched-and-read.113072/

Last edited:

stickshifter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma (1975 FJ-40, 1978 CJ-7, 2008 JKU)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had the 2.7L in the F150 work truck, before the powertrain warranty was even up a turbo failed and multiple engine pan leaks came up. After my experience with it Iā€™m going for the 2.3L - though Iā€™m hearing issues about that engine having coking issues.

If your coming from a 4Runner your just not going to get that build quality. Itā€™s not stopping me on the Bronco, maybe Iā€™ve just always been lucky with my vehicles and Iā€™ve never bought a personal vehicle thatā€™s had major issues. So Iā€™m rolling the dice.
I'll probably get flamed for this, but if you want to stay with the 4-Runner for its build quality, Toyota will install a supercharger on your 4.0 for around $8,000. It bumps HP and torque to around 350 for each (I forget the exact numbers). If you are still under warranty, it will not void your warranty if installed by a Toyota dealer.

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am a Toyota man myself and have owned over a dozen from the '94 Supra TT to various Landcruisers and Lexus models. Toyota makes a reliable car and their trucks are even more reliable. I am buying a Ford for the very first time and it is unlikely to be as trouble free as a Toyota but that is alright with me since hardly any other make is.

But the Bronco has that something very special in its looks and its stance that is just almost impossible to not love. It looks handsome and adorable at the same time. It looks like your buddy and has that special character that will make me hate to park it and walk away from it at the end of the day; very few cars have that quality.

Thankfully the general reliability of cars nowadays is very good and I am not expecting my Bronco's main quality to be utter reliability. I am rather expecting it to be a playful and fun friend and I doubt that it will let me down in that regard.

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am a Toyota man myself and have owned over a dozen from the '94 Supra TT to various Landcruisers and Lexus models. Toyota makes a reliable car and their trucks are even more reliable. I am buying a Ford for the very first time and it is unlikely to be as trouble free as a Toyota but that is alright with me since hardly any other make is.

But the Bronco has that something very special in its looks and its stance that is just almost impossible to not love. It looks handsome and adorable at the same time. It looks like your buddy and has that special character that will make me hate to park it and walk away from it at the end of the day; very few cars have that quality.

Thankfully the general reliability of cars nowadays is very good and I am not expecting my Bronco's main quality to be utter reliability. I am rather expecting it to be a playful and fun friend and I doubt that it will let me down in that regard.
How come the current 4runners power train is considered outdated by 2020 standards?
Sponsored