Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OB , Bronco Sport OB,
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My Bronco will be in this week and I plan to take it out on a little adventure this coming weekend. I am new to off roading and am really wondering the point of air down of the tires?
Sponsored

tracythemighty

Base
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco - Race Red Base w/Sas
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I know it is to get more surface contact, but I'd like to know when do you do it, and how to know if you need to do it or not. Does that make sense? 😁
Also, I'm guessing you have to have an air compressor on board before even considering it. 🤷‍♀️

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My Bronco will be in this week and I plan to take it out on a little adventure this coming weekend. I am new to off roading and am really wondering the point of air down of the tires?
Makes the ride far more comfortable off-road. Huge benefit. Night and day difference. This leads to less wear and tear on vehicle.

Increases traction by making the contact patch between tire and surface larger. You'll go further and in a safer manner with properly deflated tires. You'll rely on lockers less.

Most importantly - helps prevent tire punctures by allowing your tire to conform to sharp surfaces instead of staying rigid and puncturing. Think of stabbing a stick into a balloon. A firm balloon is going to pop while the soft balloon conforms to the shape of the stick.

It also helps you float on sand and snow instead of sinking in. Big debate on if you want to ride on the snow or cut through it but I'll leave that for others.

About 20 PSI will be a good default point unless you can't air back up without driving on pavement after. Then stick to 25PSI or so, as it will allow you to get to a gas station.

I do 15 psi when rock climbing with the stock Sasquatch tires. I've done nearly impassable obsticals without dropping air pressure due to bead leak.

For general off road, I stick to 22-23.

Don't go lower than 15 until you read up on 'throwing a bead'. You can safely go down to probably 9-12 psi in these tires once you do, but it's not often necessary. I have had to reseat 1 tire so far, but totally my fault. The sidewalls are soft on the factory tires, so I usually stick to 15 at the lowest.

When do you air down? Any time you leave pavement and it's going to be more than a few minutes on dirt. The ride quality improvement alone is worth it usually. Even if it's a maintained forest road, you'll be able to travel faster and do it safer without all the bouncing caused by inflated tires.

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good info above. Personally, I rarely air down very often, just because I'm lazy. If I'm going on rocks, sand, or snow, then definitely. For dirt roads never. Now, what ends up happening is if you're on a trip with a group and everyone is airing down some, then you might as well since everyone is taking the time anyway. I've been on some pretty rough and rocky dirt roads and never bothered to air down, but that's a personal choice and my Jeep rides very well. Disconnecting the sway bar can improve the comfort more than airing down, to me. It reduces the side to side action that is uncomfortable.

Some examples are a week log trip to Silverton CO this past summer, we drove the routes and trails all around Silverton and Ouray. I aired down slightly, to 26-28, but I run 32 on the street. Back in May we were in Moab and I didn't air down at all (or even disconnect the sway bar) and ran Fins and Things, and drove the Gemini Brodges/Long Canyon loop. But, I have a ton of experience and usually just don't bother to air down.

Since the Broncos seem to be running high street pressures, like 40 psi, it is very likely a good idea to air down to 25-30 to help not puncture a tire. I wouldn't do it for just a dirt road, but would consider it if I was going to be out on rough roads most of the day. Going too low on pressure can also increase the chance of a puncture, as sometimes a rock or rut can squeeze the sidewall into the rim.

Also, when on rough roads and light trails, picking up the speed a bit will really smooth things out. This is what the Bronco will be good for, with the IFS and the position sensitive shocks. Rather than airing down to get a smoother ride, I'll just drive faster. But, I'm a retired off road racer, so what can I say. I think with a few comments here, you'll get plenty of a good idea what to do and what to expect. Play around with it as you use your Bronco.
Sponsored