First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey team, as the title states, I’ve never been the driver when going off roading. I’ve watched some YouTube videos, but they’re not really sufficient. How would you recommend getting started? Do you think Ford will offer a bronco school?

Additionally, is it important to get four wheel drive over all wheel drive? What’s the difference? What are some other options that are must-haves for someone that wants to explore the outdoors? I also saw someone post about breaking in the vehicle. I typically buy used cars, any recommendations for when I eventually pick up the Bronco?

Thanks so much!
Sponsored

OmahaKevin

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hey team, as the title states, I’ve never been the driver when going off roading. I’ve watched some YouTube videos, but they’re not really sufficient. How would you recommend getting started? Do you think Ford will offer a bronco school?

Additionally, is it important to get four wheel drive over all wheel drive? What’s the difference? What are some other options that are must-haves for someone that wants to explore the outdoors? I also saw someone post about breaking in the vehicle. I typically buy used cars, any recommendations for when I eventually pick up the Bronco?

Thanks so much!
Ford is offering a driving school with Bronco purchase ... https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...omes-with-all-broncos-opens-spring-2021.1612/

OmahaKevin

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks so much!
Here's a similar thread ... https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/new-to-off-road.3511/

Sub_Sonarman

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus SE, 2018 F-250 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks so much!
All Broncos come with 4 wheel drive. AWD is fine for extra traction on roads, but is not sufficient for even casual off-roading.

Sponsored

wordstew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H3 Hummer, Explorer Sport, BMW R1200C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
1. Buy yourself a junker 4x4 preferably with front and/or rear lockers
2. Find someone who has off-roading experience
3. Go with him/her and beat the hell out of the junker while learning
4. Now go out and get a shiny new Bronco

Thechief86

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Jeep XJ, 2008 Subaru Forester.
Your Bronco Model
Base
All Broncos come with 4 wheel drive. AWD is fine for extra traction on roads, but is not sufficient for even casual off-roading.
I disagree. I have seen Subarus do some fairly impressive stuff offroad, including my own Forester. Obviously my lifted and lockered Jeep is better than the stock Subie with AWD and open diffs, but stock for stock, the difference isn't as much as you'd think. Lift and rear locker for Subaru waiting to be installed.
Source: 20 years driving and building experience offroad in everything from Saturn Sedans to Fully Custom Tube Chassis Rock Buggies.
Current Vehicles both get used Off-Road beyond what most people think they will do.

Sponsored

Thechief86

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Jeep XJ, 2008 Subaru Forester.
Your Bronco Model
Base
Off roading prowess comes with experience. Automatics make it easier, manuals aren't fun for everyone off road. I prefer a manual most of the time. Momentum can be your best friend, or your worst enemy, application is key. Straddle the ruts in mud, But don't straddle rocks. Put your tires on the rocks unless you know you won't drag anything.
Let some air out of your tires, especially in sand.
If you go alone (don't), make damn sure you have water, and everything you need to unstick yourself or repair common failures for your vehicle. I bring tools, a hi lift jack, a small compressor, a strap, some chain, a shovel, a pistol, and stuff to build a fire. My jeep has a winch, and I bring tree saver straps as well as a couple of pulleys. Tell people where you are going, and when they should expect you back. If you plan to be out alone for multiple days, bring more Fuel, food, and water than you think you're going to need.

Last edited:

Datoad

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Jeep LJ Rubicon, 17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My advice would be to check out the 4x4 clubs in your area. You will learn the capabilities and limitations of your Bronco on Club runs as well as the peace of mind knowing you have help if you need it. Joining a club is also a good way to meet new friends with a similar interest.

Actual 4x4 is for off-road use only because it needs some slip due to the front and rear axels being locked together.
All wheel drive is intended for use on paved roads with limited traction like mud, rain and snow.

LorenzeTorres

Badlands
First Name
Lo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/ 2002 BMW M3/ 2016 BMW M2/ 2016 Triumph Thruxton R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Welcome to the world of off-roading!

I encourage you to take your Bronco out but got with someone experienced (as someone previously mentioned) and a few other trucks.

But until we got our rigs, I’d recommend going to YouTube and watching 24/7 4WD. It’s an Australian show where they overland and do some crawling in their trucks.

I also recommend watching videos of trails local to you. This has helped me a lot

Also, take it easy and don’t be going to Rubicon type trails right off the bat. The trucks I’m sure are more than capable but you’ll need to develop a sense of the size of your truck on the trails. You’ll want to know where you can squeeze it through and not
Sponsored