TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm excited to share my successful acquisition of another new toy to pair with my Bronco - a very well-cared-for 2019 Turtleback Getaway. It's going to be a blast!

Ford Bronco New Toy to Haul and Successful 7-pin Trailer Connector Solution 20220304_105557

The other reason to post is that I have successfully (for my situation) navigated skipping the factory tow package.

First, I installed a Curt hitch, then the Curt plug-and-play 4-pin wiring harness. Then, I added this Universal Installation Kit for 7-pin.

This is not a perfect setup, as all I did was add the direct 12-volt power from the battery. The key was adding the Echo Bluetooth Brake Controller since there's no good way to tap into braking function. The Echo powers the trailer brakes off the direct 12-volt power rather than needing the separate brake controller wiring.

The only functionality I don't have is reverse lights on the trailer. I don't need them and am not keen on trying to splice into any of the Bronco wiring.

This saved me no significant money (bought hitch, 4-pin harness, 7-pin harness, mounting bracket for brake controller, and Echo) and I still don't have full functionality. I'd highly recommend the factory setup if you want to do any significant towing. This works, but feels like a lot of workarounds and who knows what will fail first?

Happy to answer questions, but for those who don't need reverse light functionality, this is a solution.
Sponsored

Last edited:

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The reverse lighting is the one thing I'm trying to still figure out. It won't be cheaper, but if a person were to purchase everything you did, except for the seven pin adapter and instead by the https://getautowbrake.com/ the only thing really missing is the reverse light. (From my understanding the four pin plug and play requires a 12 volt lead from the battery, so that provides you your "7 pin charging" source.

I wonder if there is any way to reliably tap into the reverse lights?

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Not sure which forum to stick this in, so General it is. I'm excited to share my successful acquisition of another new toy to pair with my Bronco - a very well-cared-for 2019 Turtleback Getaway. It's going to be a blast!

Ford Bronco New Toy to Haul and Successful 7-pin Trailer Connector Solution 20220304_105557

The other reason to post is that I have successfully (for my situation) navigated skipping the factory tow package.

First, I installed a Curt hitch, then the Curt plug-and-play 4-pin wiring harness. Then, I added this Universal Installation Kit for 7-pin.

This is not a perfect setup, as all I did was add the direct 12-volt power from the battery. The key was adding the Echo Bluetooth Brake Controller since there's no good way to tap into braking function. The Echo powers the trailer brakes off the direct 12-volt power rather than needing the separate brake controller wiring.

The only functionality I don't have is reverse lights on the trailer. I don't need them and am not keen on trying to splice into any of the Bronco wiring.

This saved me no significant money (bought hitch, 4-pin harness, 7-pin harness, mounting bracket for brake controller, and Echo) and I still don't have full functionality. I'd highly recommend the factory setup if you want to do any significant towing. This works, but feels like a lot of workarounds and who knows what will fail first?

Happy to answer questions, but for those who don't need reverse light functionality, this is a solution.
Badass. is it wrong for me to bring up just how badass that'd look with a Velocity Blue Bronco?

OP
OP
TheWoo

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The reverse lighting is the one thing I'm trying to still figure out. It won't be cheaper, but if a person were to purchase everything you did, except for the seven pin adapter and instead by the https://getautowbrake.com/ the only thing really missing is the reverse light. (From my understanding the four pin plug and play requires a 12 volt lead from the battery, so that provides you your "7 pin charging" source.

The 4-pin does have direct power too, but the 4-to-7 adapter needs its own power. Not sure why, but that's an easy thing to do.

Badass. is it wrong for me to bring up just how badass that'd look with a Velocity Blue Bronco?
It would look great! Blue wouldn't have been my first choice, but it works just fine. What I won't be doing is hiding very well with my color choices. 😉

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 EB , 67 Stang, 77 GMC Motorhome, A6 3.0T, W211
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 4-pin does have direct power too, but the 4-to-7 adapter needs its own power. Not sure why, but that's an easy thing to do.
1) The power for 12V feed to the 7 pin is for charging a breakaway brake battery. This should be switched power and on only when the vehicle is running.
2) The electric brake feed is variable voltage with adjustable ramp up time. This comes from the controller
3) The reverse light is optional

The remaining circuits can be tapped from the 4 pin trailer brake kit.

Notes:
The 4 pin plug in harness should be powered directly from the battery, allowing trailer brake lights to remain functional even when the vehicle is shut off.

The trailer brake controller should also be powered to the battery so the trailer brakes will function when the vehicle is off with the pedal depressed.

I hope this helps.

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How much is the bronco squatting in the rear?

Did you use an extended drawbar or an extension to clear the spare tire?

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
[QUOTE="It would look great! Blue wouldn't have been my first choice, but it works just fine. What I won't be doing is hiding very well with my color choices. 😉
[/QUOTE]
Your “visual footprint “ is impressive. :giggle:

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Where there's a will there's a way! Nice work.

I do love not having to futz with my factory tow, but I might be adding a separate heavier gauge 12v supply anyway because I'm not sure pin 4 will support the charging I need.

OP
OP
TheWoo

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How much is the bronco squatting in the rear?

Did you use an extended drawbar or an extension to clear the spare tire?
The picture makes it look like it's squatting quite a bit, but I don't think it's done any more than maybe take the factory rake out of it. The trailer rides nose down a bit more than I'd like, and I think that contributes to the squatty look.

Picture of the hitch setup:
Ford Bronco New Toy to Haul and Successful 7-pin Trailer Connector Solution PXL_20220305_205235705

Sponsored

Danny's Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shoes! Waiting for that 2 door to ship!
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That's really awesome! COngrats on the trailer and the Bronco. I wanna set up the some thing with mine when it gets off Ice Mountain. Hoping to take it and one of those trailer out to AZ this fall

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nah, now he's got that orange-teal going on, lol.

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What about using an aux switch for the reverse lights ,put it on a weatherpack connector stash it when not in use?

musicman

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Had not heard of this company and spent some time on their site after you posted this. They make some pretty slick trailers. Post some pictures of this thing when it’s all unfolded.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It would be easy enough to splice to the jumper wire for the reverse circuit on the Curt adapter but I would only use that to trigger a relay to actually power the trailer reverse lights due to unknown capacity of that BCM output. I do finally have all the connector pins needed to tap into the factory reverse and brake pins at the front fender connectors so I'll be documenting that in the next couple weeks. I did find a nice place to mount the connector where I won't smash it on a rock.
Ford Bronco New Toy to Haul and Successful 7-pin Trailer Connector Solution PXL_20220306_033700861
Sponsored