First Name
lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
1) you have to take it to your dealer (who may not even have a body shop on site and therefore may have to sublet it out to a collision center).
2)then they have to have a 3rd party glass vendor come out and remove your windshield (hopefully in 1 piece)
3)the now windshield-less vehicle goes into the body shop for urethane removal, grinding/prep, and primer PAINTING
4) the primer has to dry
5) the glass shop has to come back on site and reinstall the windshield with new urethane sealer
6) the vehicle now has to have any cameras/windshield mounted sensors recalibrated. in some cases this means going into the service department at the dealer. Meaning that a 3rd set of hands in addition to the glass guys and the body shop may now have to touch the vehicle.

good luck getting all of that done in a few hours or even one day. not impossible, but pretty unlikely. keep in mind that all of the parties above would have to work in unison and that they each have other customers to attend to on different schedules.

BTW, this recall is not about REPLACING your windshield. it's about improving the adhesion or mechanical bond between the urethane windshield "glue" and the paint underneath.
All correct except for one part,the body shops never painted the pinchweld. Using either betaseal 5504 or sika activator,2 coats of primer is all that was required....there's no way ford was paying for paint and labor. This sucks for us or the bodyshop because there's no moldings between the glass and edge where the windshield sits(called a floating ws). No moldings to hide the primer which is black. So the bodyshop had to be super careful when grinding not to exceed where the glass would be,otherwise you'd see the black primer in that gap.
Sponsored

glazsmn31

Big Bend
First Name
lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
There is literally nothing in that description that takes safelite more than 2 hours to do. I mean, I had this done not 4 months ago on my wife's vehicle. Windshield sensor recal and everything... Why does paint and primer need to be re-applied?
This is starting to not add up...
No paint work,we only sand the existing urethane off the body. 2 coats of primer on the body is it and 2 coats of primer on the old glass. This is the improved adhesion they want. No paint work is done

glazsmn31

Big Bend
First Name
lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I wonder if this affects those of us who are already on windshield #2 or more.
No,because the old urethane was removed when it was replaced

tbor

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future 2022 4 door Big Bend Hardtop
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So just had mine in for the recall and they broke the window taking it out and don't have a replacement on hand. I am not happy.
So I'm STILL without my bronco and have no estimate for a new window. Unbelievably bungled operation here. I have a case number open with Ford and haven't even heard back from my agent after opening the ticket two days ago. The dealer doing the recall offered a Hyundai Elantra as a loaner. I would recommend not doing this recall unless your dealer has a replacement on hand and available for your bronco in the event of a break.

tbor

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So I'm STILL without my bronco and have no estimate for a new window. Unbelievably bungled operation here. I have a case number open with Ford and haven't even heard back from my agent after opening the ticket two days ago. The dealer doing the recall offered a Hyundai Elantra as a loaner. I would recommend not doing this recall unless your dealer has a replacement on hand and available for your bronco in the event of a break.
Not sure if this actually helps anyone else here but this whole situation is absurd. Heard back from my caseworker finally today and was thinking they would be able to resolve my issue. Not even close. The support rep immediately escalated to her supervisor who said I can either take the loaner (which really won't work because it can't be taken out of state, doesn't have towing capabilities, and isn't an SUV) or I could be partially compensated for an Enterprise rental only ($45 a day towards an SUV/car or $60 a day towards a truck). Enterprise in my area doesn't have anything available other than cars either. Actual car rental cost is $89 a day. So it looks like I'm going to have to take Ford to small claims court over this as insane as this sounds. The rental is also capped at 10 days whether the bronco is returned or not!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mjtermini

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Simply unbelievable

AuroraMike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 2.7, SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I tried to warn everyone early reserving and buying these year 1/2 Broncos what happens to Guinee pigs that buy Brand new vehicles...
Ranger isn’t new and the recall is the same for them….

FrankenRodz

Base
First Name
sheldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base 2 - Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just picked up my 2022 Base 2-Door, with NO Windshield Recall!

My FordPass Account had an alert for the Recall, but days later it disappeared.

I assumed the worst when I went to pick it up from the Dealer yesterday, but no mention of the Recall.

Tried to see if it had been dealt with by Ford, but couldn't find any reference to it.

Sponsored

Mjtermini

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Windshield replaced yesterday. 4 hours - two hours for the removal, prep and install of new windshield plus two hours for curing. Very smooth by Ford dealer.

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I wont be doing this recall until I know they have a replacement on hand if it cracks. Better yet I will just wait till it cracks which will happen im sure soon……

Mjtermini

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine had already cracked. Otherwise I probably would have not replaced it

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I dropped mine off today. Looks like it takes anywhere between four hours and unknown. I asked the dealer in the past (when the recall announcement said it would take two days but Ford would only provide a one day rental) and they said it was a quick fix.

Today when I dropped it off, "We are completely at the mercy of the glass vendor and I have no way to give an estimate."

What kind of times are we seeing?

Not sure if this actually helps anyone else here but this whole situation is absurd. Heard back from my caseworker finally today and was thinking they would be able to resolve my issue. Not even close. The support rep immediately escalated to her supervisor who said I can either take the loaner (which really won't work because it can't be taken out of state, doesn't have towing capabilities, and isn't an SUV) or I could be partially compensated for an Enterprise rental only ($45 a day towards an SUV/car or $60 a day towards a truck). Enterprise in my area doesn't have anything available other than cars either. Actual car rental cost is $89 a day. So it looks like I'm going to have to take Ford to small claims court over this as insane as this sounds. The rental is also capped at 10 days whether the bronco is returned or not!
This is my worry right here. Did they resolve it?

tbor

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I dropped mine off today. Looks like it takes anywhere between four hours and unknown. I asked the dealer in the past (when the recall announcement said it would take two days but Ford would only provide a one day rental) and they said it was a quick fix.

Today when I dropped it off, "We are completely at the mercy of the glass vendor and I have no way to give an estimate."

What kind of times are we seeing?

This is my worry right here. Did they resolve it?
Took two weeks, I still haven't gotten my refund for car rental, and it was like ten calls to Ford to even promise to cover the car rental. Total pain in the ass but I at least got it back and am back to enjoying it.
Sponsored