First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What makes them so sure the “glass guy’s” preferred urethane is compliant or better than what was used at MAP Everyone subs out glass work. They will go to body shops, parking lots and replace windshields. They won’t be stopping at the dealer to pick up some fantasy urethane. The recall seems to state “insufficient adhesion” not insufficient adhesive. “Urethane” this is not a bolt on/ bolt off part. This is a butcher off/ butcher on part. NHTSA knows more than me, but this seems like if it’s not broke then don’t fix it. Ford has to cover their ass though.
I've only had to replace a windshield a couple times since I try to catch a chip quickly and get it fixed, but one of the times after a hard rain I had a wet foot well. It had to go back and they tried fixing it with more crap around the windshield which did not work. They finally had to pull it out which broke it and replaced it again. I am not convinced the glue-in job of a replacement is better. I know a young man that works for a glass company and he says the OEM windshields are always the hardest to get out and many times they break them trying to get them out. He says aftermarket usually comes out easier. So is the recalled glue job going to be better? I'd say it's a crap shoot.
Sponsored

Wvwaiting

Badlands
First Name
Nichole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My bronco arrived at my dealership HOURS after the recall. Their contracted glass company will not attempt to pull the windshield without having a replacement "in case" of breakage. Dealer called every dealership in state to acquire one....either they didn't have it...or were not giving it up. It is "ordered with no ETA". My question.....what type of time frame am I looking at?

First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My bronco arrived at my dealership HOURS after the recall. Their contracted glass company will not attempt to pull the windshield without having a replacement "in case" of breakage. Dealer called every dealership in state to acquire one....either they didn't have it...or were not giving it up. It is "ordered with no ETA". My question.....what type of time frame am I looking at?
My Bronco arrived last Monday and my repair began today. Keep the faith out there.

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For those of us with delivered vehicles, even though the fix probably takes more than a day FORD is only authorizing one day for a rental. ADDITIONAL DAYS MUST BE PRE-APPROVED!

I have an appointment in Sept. so I guess the plan is to see how long these are taking, make sure they have enough extra windshields in inventory before I drop it off and make sure they get me pre-approved for a multi day rental first and then I can get the windshield fixed.

RENTAL VEHICLES Dealers are pre-approved for up to 1 day for a rental vehicle. Follow Extended Service Plan (ESP) guidelines for dollar amounts. Rentals will only be reimbursed for the days the vehicle is at the dealership for part replacement. Prior approval for more than 1 rental days is required from the SSSC. Contact the SSSC via the SSSC Web Contact Site for consideration and approval if appropriate.

OP
OP
SuperFord

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have an appointment in Sept. so I guess the plan is to see how long these are taking, make sure they have enough extra windshields in inventory before I drop it off and make sure they get me pre-approved for a multi day rental first and then I can get the windshield fixed.
The Special Service Support Center isn’t going to “pre-approve” a multi day rental in advance.

The “pre” here means that before they can be reimbursed for any additional days of rental your dealer would have to provide SSSC with a valid explanation for some delay that causes the repair to take more than the 1 day allotted and obtain an approval code authorizing the extra charges. Theoretically this should happen before any extra days are accrued.

Sponsored

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The Special Service Support Center isn’t going to “pre-approve” a multi day rental in advance.

The “pre” here means that before they can be reimbursed for any additional days of rental your dealer would have to provide SSSC with a valid explanation for some delay that causes the repair to take more than the 1 day allotted and obtain an approval code authorizing the extra charges. Theoretically this should happen before any extra days are accrued.
We already know it takes more than a day and Ford gave a day. So we already know more days need to be approved. Not really theoretical. 1<3

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Dealer gave me an appointment for this morning on the windshield.

i just showed up.

“oh sorry, we aren’t set up yet to do the windshields”

ummmm

ok.

Why’d y’all give me the appointment ?

banter8

Wildtrak
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Jeep CJ5, 1969 Ford F100, 2012 F150 platinum
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Oh well. Im not taking mine in.
Same here. Two days after I picked up my wildtrak a rock hit the windshield and it cracked. Safelite installed a new oem windshield. I do not have a leak nor any whistling noise. If those ever occur I will deal with it then.

I’m friends with the service mgr at my dealership, and he showed me the Ford step by step. Trust me it’s not a pretty fix.

First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Same here. Two days after I picked up my wildtrak a rock hit the windshield and it cracked. Safelite installed a new oem windshield. I do not have a leak nor any whistling noise. If those ever occur I will deal with it then.

I’m friends with the service mgr at my dealership, and he showed me the Ford step by step. Trust me it’s not a pretty fix.
Without details it is impossible to assess your statement.

ILoveTacos

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

For those of us with delivered vehicles, even though the fix probably takes more than a day FORD is only authorizing one day for a rental. ADDITIONAL DAYS MUST BE PRE-APPROVED!

RENTAL VEHICLES Dealers are pre-approved for up to 1 day for a rental vehicle. Follow Extended Service Plan (ESP) guidelines for dollar amounts. Rentals will only be reimbursed for the days the vehicle is at the dealership for part replacement. Prior approval for more than 1 rental days is required from the SSSC. Contact the SSSC via the SSSC Web Contact Site for consideration and approval if appropriate.
I was coming on here to ask this very question. My local dealer said it may take up to 4 days for the fix since they have to send it out to a company qualified to do the recall work. Couldn't guarantee that 1) Ford would approve more than one day loaner/ rental or that 2) One would be available.

Last edited:

Sponsored

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was coming on here to ask this very question. My local dealer said it may take up to 4 days for the fix since they have to send it out to a local company qualified to do the recall work. Couldn't guarantee that 1) Ford would approve more than one day loaner/ rental or that 2) One would be available.
The dealer rep ended up getting 2 days approved. She said that should be enough time. I'm still going to make sure they already have extras in case it breaks when they remove it.

Brianw1369

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My Bronco Big Bend four door arrived yesterday at the dealer but it has the windshield recall and door latch recall so it cannot be sold until those are corrected according to the dealer. Has anyone had this? What was the turnaround time?

michaeldc46

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep JK - 2 Door Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi all.

It looks like a new windshield recall 22C12 just dropped today (June 28th) on 2022 Broncos build between December 8th and April 12th.

Reason: "inadequate urethane adhesion" which means that the windshield could possibly come loose in the event of a crash. Affected vehicles could also experience increased wind noise or the possibility of water leaks.

This repair will require a glass shop to remove your windshield, then the body shop will have to remove old urethane, prep the surface, and apply primer to the mounting surface area of the windshield, then once cured the glass shop will have to come back and reinstall the glass.

Owner letters to be sent out in a few weeks. It is also a "stop sale" so anybody with an incoming order won't be able to take delivery until this is completed. Don't shoot the messenger.

I'd estimate that the repair will take most dealers 3 days of actual work once they have everything coordinated. This obviously does not account for the current appointment backlogs most dealers and body shops are experiencing. again, don't shoot the messenger.

(Update: I spoke to my dealer's body shop and glass shop today. The body shop didn't even want the Bronco brought to them. They have been doing these on F-150's and Mach-E's for a while now. They say that in MOST cases they don't have to do anything and that the glass shop can indeed usually handle the whole job unless they aren't able to successfully remove the urethane and prep the surface without grinding.)
The root cause of the Windshield failure is the Paint chemistry and the Paint curing in the assembly plant. This is not just an issue with the Ford Bronco but other Ford assembly plants and OEM's that use the same paint system. The Urethane is applied Primerless to Paint in all the affected assembly plants. If the Paint chemistry changes or the Process curing conditions vary then the Adhesive bond has the potential for Interfacial failure at the Adhesive-Paint interface. Until the Paint Chemistry and Paint bake oven conditions are fixed a Paint Primer will be used to assure no interfacial failure occurs. Now the fix is not just pull and replace the windshield with new Urethane Adhesive - the origional Urethane bead on the paint needs to be totally ground off and the body bonding area thoroughly cleaned. Then a Body Primer is applied to the vehicle and a fresh bead of Urethane adhesvie is applied and the windshield that was removed and cleaned will be reinstalled in the vehicle. The use of Paint primer is an additional step and has been eliminated with most OEM paint systems and use of a Primerless to Paint Urethane. Besides the extra step of Body Paint priming which adds cost there could be extra cost associated with Body Paint primer dripping outside the bonding area - then that in many cases will require a body repaint - which is unacceptable due to the Windshield being installed in the Trim Shop in the assembly plant (one of the last steps in assembly). The Paint Chemistry and the Curing Conditions in the assemble plant needs to be lock in for use of Primerless to Paint Urethane.

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had signed and paid for my Bronco June 27th but hadn't picked it up yet when the stop sell popped on the 28th. I wasn't sure if that would impact my delivery which was planned for July 1st. The delay in pickup was because I was out of town and dealer wanted to book the sale for June.

Anyway, it wasn't clear to me if because the sale was complete if the stop sale would prevent delivery. The dealer said nothing, and I said nothing not wanting to alert them as I couldn't tolerate a delay so would need to get it done at a more coinvent time.

After pickup I asked about the recall and they said they check for any during prep and already took care of it.

I do not know how long it took, but mid-day on the 28th was the earliest they could have known and my Bronco was ready three days later. I saw something when originally announced that suggested a 3 day turn-around, but then a subsequent update that it probably was much shorter.

I wasn't aware of rear door latch, issue, an older recall?

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs