Sponsored

[NEWBIE] What is a non-SAS really able to do?

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I appreciate your modesty, airforceteacher. Good to start out acknowledging your shortcomings, then addressing them realistically.

Go find easy and intermediate trails and run them. You'll find out what your OBX can do and gain confidence. Collect recovery gear, starting with traction boards, a good kinetic towstrap (+ soft shackles), and carry a decent shovel. Read the forums and get educated on things like winches and tire types and sizes, for when you want to upgrade (winches) and replace (when your OEM tires wear down). Join a local 4x4 club--doesn't have to be all-Bronco--and join group drives.

The point is to get out in the boondocks, enjoy nature (responsibly), have fun--and be safe.
Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just get a rear locker, by the time you figure out if you need a front locker you will no longer be a newbie.

I absolutely enjoyed my non locked Big Bend. My black Diamond is just more of what I wanted, I like my interior.

OP
OP

airforceteacher

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW sedan, Eruption Green OBX on order
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The comments people have made about not reaching the bronco’s limits are resonating with me - as a motorcyclist, I know the riders whose bikes aren’t good enough for them are few and far between, and usually talking out of their posterior. So, slow, steady accumulation of wisdom seems to be the way to go, and upgrades can wait, if at all.

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a lot of base non sas offroading on my channel.
Really good example of what you don’t have to have to enjoy off-roading. Not to mention the Crown Vic video🤣

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My non-sasquatch OBX can barely get out of the driveway and to the mall.

I don't think that you should take it off the tarmac.

Here is a Black Diamond non-sasquatch that snapped a tie rod (same tie rods are on the obx and even the sasquatch package).

Last edited:

Sponsored

Yeti-X

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a non sas badlands and have had several jeeps my last one being a rubicon gladiator. When I am out in the rocks you have to be in pretty aggressive stuff to have to need lockers I have seen unlocked jeeps on 33's go up waterfalls in the black hills that inexperienced drivers with all of equipment and 35's struggle and fail. With the difference in ground clearance of a sas package I would still take a badlands without sas but the ability to unluck the stabilizer to be more beneficial. Flex in many situations and a well chosen route will do just as well as less flex and 35's. Moral of the story find the limits of the obx all while gaining experience and it will point you to what you need for what you are trying to accomplish

Michaeleb

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Probably not considered “tough” trails but my Badlands got me over Engineer pass, Hurricane pass and up to Hurricane peak, Black Bear, Imogene, Ophir, to name a few. 33’s didn’t miss a beat and had only one scrape coming off black bear. Probably pilot error. Had a hoot and have been really pleased with the clearance. I’m not a rock crawler but if I were, I’d definitely go SAS. I just like being up in the mountains.

Yeti-X

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I kind of skipped SAS went to 37's and 5.29 gears on order

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did all of us overlook the obvious for airforceteacher?

Take the Bronco Off-Roadeo course!!

You'll use their Broncos (no risk to yours) and run you through a number of trails and situations and explain how it all works. Get there early and look for a Bronco that closely matches your model.

JJ Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So, feel free to leave stinging comments - I've tried searching and failed.

I saw a video on here, but cannot find it again, of a non-Sasquatch Outer Banks doing a trail, and I was impressed by what it could do. However, everything I read talks about Sasquatch and lifts and upgrades and I sometimes feel like I made a mistake not buying a Sasquatch or at least Wildtrak edition.

What is a non-Sasquatch capable of once one learns the basics of off roading?

Does anyone have videos of non lifted, especially Outer Banks doing tough trails, reaching but not exceeding their limits? I swear I saw one two weeks ago, showing a red OBX doing what looked like a medium difficulty trail, and I cannot find it again in my history or searching the forums.

I'm coming into this having never driven off road, so I plan to do the Off Roadeo next month, and probably try to find another class or two and join a local club to learn. I don't expect it to become a consuming hobby, just want to know what I can do for fun with my 360-day a year pavement princess.
Here is a non SAS base model doing some serious stuff, clears some and get stuck on some.

And

Sponsored
OP
OP

airforceteacher

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW sedan, Eruption Green OBX on order
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Did all of us overlook the obvious for airforceteacher?

Take the Bronco Off-Roadeo course!!

You'll use their Broncos (no risk to yours) and run you through a number of trails and situations and explain how it all works. Get there early and look for a Bronco that closely matches your model.
Already scheduled for next month. Making a holiday of it with the SO and kids.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've only ever wheeled an Early Bronco on 33's and open diffs.

As I tell anyone that asks ... you will be amazed how far 33's and open diffs can take you.

Learn the rig and it's capabilities like how the traction control nannys help or hinder you depending on the situation, and I'm sure a 6G will go even further.

Fellow member @Dusty has a tube channel, "Horsin Around" and a series of videos where he starts with a Base on 30's just to see what it was capable of and goes from there.

Hint... first issue was ground clearance, which means bigger tires.

7sKnuckledragger

Heritage
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ, 1978 K5, 2007.5 Ram 2500, 2022 F150
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Just go hit some local trails (with friends) and learn. You don’t know what you can do till you try. My first time over the rubicon I was in a stock-ish TJ, Dana 30&35 open diffs, no skids no winch and 33” AT’s. Made it through and back (only winched twice). I learned a lot and have done the trail quite a few times since now that my TJ is far from stock. Just go enjoy it and if the off road bug gets you… well I hope you make a lot of $$!

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Look at what can be done in a bare bones stock Wrangler. No reason you can't do the same in a non Sas Bronco.

Fallser

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Acadia
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Search Youtube for "Outerbanks Chase Gentry". He takes an OBX on Hells Revenge, Tincup pass, and Top of the World. Should answer your questions very nicely.
Wow, the OBX completed the swimming pool no problem, I had doubts!
Sponsored