Sponsored

Newbies afraid to test drive a wrangler?

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My good friend is DEAD SET on getting a $50k bronco. He has never been off road and never road in a newhighway speeds.
This guy loves luxury, luxury furniture, lux speakers, lux food...etc

I have a real feeling that he is going to be shocked at the rough ride (even without a SFA it’s no sedan) and the road noise will eat at him.
I have begged him to test drive a new wrangler with a hard tip simply for noise comparison but he just won’t do it.

he finally admitted to me that he has been too psyched for the bronco for too long and does not want to risk having his mind changed now.

I wonder how many other folks feel this way?

bronco is surely superior, but the downsides of an off-roader will be just as present and I feel lots of folks are going to be shocked
Sponsored

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think there are a lot of people signed up for this Bronco not really knowing what they are getting into

At least drive a new Ranger that will give everyone A good idea of how it will ride. I think

cybersal

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I test drove a Wrangler. As tempted as I was, reported Wrangler issues have prevented me from buying one. Plus the tailgate and small display screen are concerns. I agree @SamG your friend should definitely test drive a Wrangler.

Dillhole

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
Test driving a Wrangler first will make the Bronco feel like a Caddy. The Bronco all things considered should bring a pretty decent ride, the independent front tied with a rack and pinion steering should keep things feeling pretty tight and nimble compared to Jeep.

I think some people will be surprised by the road noise in a 4 door soft top at highway speed. I forget how bad it is in my Jeep until I have a passenger and we're trying to talk. Just me alone I crank the tunes and don't notice.

Willwork4bronco

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My good friend is DEAD SET on getting a $50k bronco. He has never been off road and never road in a newhighway speeds.
This guy loves luxury, luxury furniture, lux speakers, lux food...etc

I have a real feeling that he is going to be shocked at the rough ride (even without a SFA it’s no sedan) and the road noise will eat at him.
I have begged him to test drive a new wrangler with a hard tip simply for noise comparison but he just won’t do it.

he finally admitted to me that he has been too psyched for the bronco for too long and does not want to risk having his mind changed now.

I wonder how many other folks feel this way?

bronco is surely superior, but the downsides of an off-roader will be just as present and I feel lots of folks are going to be shocked
Probably a lot better to change his mind now than a week after he takes delivery and the excitement of finally getting that Bronco wears off.

Probably 75% of the folks that made a reservation have no idea what they are getting into and really need or want something more like a pick up or a 4 runner and even more would be better suited with an explorer or a blazer.

The other 25% have either had a Jeep or at least rode in one and realize that in exchange for a more off-road capability you lose payload and towing capability and have accepted it.

Sponsored

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The radio in my truck quit working last month so it has been me, my thoughts, my gently humming 35" MTs and a minor amount of wind noise. Spent a fair amount of time on motorcycles and in convertibles as well. I feel like I will be seasoned to whatever the Bronco brings.

As to your buddy OP, maybe he needs the awakening.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I said this in the beginning. People expecting European luxury are going to be severely disappointed. Predicting that many won't last 6 months in a Bronco before trading for comfort. I am confident that the ride quality of the Bronco will exceed the Wrangler but if you don't have experience with off-road vehicles or body on frame trucks you are in for a surprise.

Willwork4bronco

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Test driving a Wrangler first will make the Bronco feel like a Caddy. The Bronco all things considered should bring a pretty decent ride, the independent front tied with a rack and pinion steering should keep things feeling pretty tight and nimble compared to Jeep.

I think some people will be surprised by the road noise in a 4 door soft top at highway speed. I forget how bad it is in my Jeep until I have a passenger and we're trying to talk. Just me alone I crank the tunes and don't notice.
I agree the Bronco will probably drive significantly better than a Jeep but still not as good as other SUVs or Trucks.
And that road noise is probably going to be the biggest complaint right off the bat followed closely by MPG.

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think there are a lot of people signed up for this Bronco not really knowing what they are getting into

At least drive a new Ranger that will give everyone A good idea of how it will ride. I think
If the Bronco rides anything like the Ranger I will be in heaven! I had an LJ, tried to go to a JK because I was so sick of the ride and handling on our 3rd world roads in MI and the difference was minimal. The Ranger is 100% liveable for me. I always wonder about how many people daily drive their Jeep’s and why they do it if they never use them off road or take the top off (rare to see a hardtop off, mostly because it’s hard to handle and store).

WatchYourSix

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Bronco, 2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is why in a few years they will litter used lots.
With the amount of soccer moms and non-offroaders that drive Wranglers? I doubt it, especially if the Bronco is better than Wrangler on-road. Not saying you won't see any, but littered?

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I own a Ranger and a luxury crossover. People buying Broncos will mostly be fine with the on road manners. My wife often drives my truck and she never complains about it's handling, ride quality, etc. She actually prefers to drive it in the snow and ice. Are the cabin noise, on road handling, comfort, and space efficiency better on her luxury crossover? Yes, without a doubt. Will anyone care that the Bronco handles worse than a Lincoln Aviator when they take the top off on a nice day? No. No they won't.

cybersal

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The radio in my truck quit working last month so it has been me, my thoughts, my gently humming 35" MTs and a minor amount of wind noise.
The cd player in my Escape hasn't worked in years. Fortunately, the radio and the cassette deck still do.

Road noise is a concern, but 95% of the time I'm alone in the vehicle so don't have to worry about talking with a passenger.
Sponsored