Sponsored

Newbies afraid to test drive a wrangler?

OP
OP
SamG

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I agree. Lots of people are in this category, I think. But they'll still get it, love it for a year and then trade it in for something that better suits their lifestyle. And that's ok. The road noise is annoying if you've only driven luxury, but you can get used to it too. Also, the JL ride isn't so bad. Hoping the Bronco is even better.
I fully expect the ride to match the 4Runner - which is fine, but when you hit a Michigan Pothole at highway speeds it does indeed jerk/get off track - when this happens in the rain its honestly kinda concerning. I, however, love driving - from off roading to Amateur track racing so I just deal with it lol
Sponsored

ausherpharmd

Black Diamond
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Oh
This is silly.

People that like luxury fucking love Wranglers, G Wagons and Land Rovers.

Stop it pretending the Bronco is only for the hardcore enthusiast.

I live in Fairfield County, CT; one of the wealthiest counties in the country and Wranglers are like roaches out here. Every soccer mom in a tennis skirt, equestrian pants and boots and yoga pants owns one and the Whole Foods lot it is full of them.

Bronco will be no different.

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 9.55.20 AM.png

Headed to Moab in that Rubicon?

Haha nope. Going to pick up little Charlies vegan yogurt and soybean burgers for tonight.
True. A lot of people won't care and will get used to it. Plus, it makes some people feel tougher.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think some of you need to be on a jeep forum. Frankly, I'm not interested in them and tire of reading about them.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I know it's not luxury but when I still had my GTI I felt my wife's FJ was a better daily driver with the bigger tires and suspension over the stiffness of the VW. Also she went from a Lexus to the FJ and has only complained about not being able to autobahn the interstate like she used to.

Give it a few years, the few luxury touches missing from the Bronco in its intro year will creep in more and more like any other vehicle.

Sponsored

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think some of you need to be on a jeep forum. Frankly, I'm not interested in them and tire of reading about them.
The Bronco is a Ford Jeep. That’s why there are so many comparisons to a Wrangler. They are very similar vehicles save a few significant differences in running gear.

People will continue to make these comparisons and they will only increase once folks start taking deliveries of their Bronco.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The Bronco is a Ford Jeep. That’s why there are so many comparisons to a Wrangler. They are very similar vehicles save a few significant differences in running gear.

People will continue to make these comparisons and they will only increase once folks start taking deliveries of their Bronco.
Comparing 70 year old tech to now is like talking about a gramaphone or brownie camera. Yes they do the same thing....

OP
OP
SamG

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

people want what they want and will get what they get. stop being the bronco police.
This is a childhood friend - I am trying to help him make an educated decision... Bronco Police? Lmao.

I don't want him to forego other cars, spend $50k and then be disappointed... maybe he wont be! I just would like him to test all the variables that he can first.

Reactions: RG7

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's a pretty general and bold statement. How do you know that it'll ride rough on the highway and have lots of road noise?

- Does my built wrangler (35" MT tires) have road noise, yes, due to the soft top. When I had a hardtop for it, I could talk on the phone perfectly fine.
- My f150 super crew w/ pano glass roof, 46k miles, 6" lift, 35" MT tires rides like a dream and road noise is significantly less than my wrangler.
-My wife's GC w/ 32" AT tires, 25k miles, air suspension rides nice but my truck has a better ride.

I DD 57 miles roundtrip at speeds of 70-75mph and we take my truck on majority of trips.

I rented a JLU 2 weeks ago for work, Sahara, hard top and it was perfectly fine road noise wise, even talked on speakerphone for few hours with no complaints from my family.

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To be honest, I’ve been worried the ride will be too smooth for it to be fun for me. :ROFLMAO: I don’t drive much anymore (working 100% remote now) but when I do the signature bouncy Jeep ride always puts a smile on my face. Starting to think I might miss it!

Your friend should definitely test drive a Wrangler. But if he doesn’t, he can always refuse it upon delivery and the dealer can sell it to someone else. Not ideal, but still an option.

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Comparing 70 year old tech to now is like talking about a gramaphone or brownie camera. Yes they do the same thing....
IFS has been around in passenger vehicles since at least the 50’s so not sure what you’re referring to with 70 year old technology that the Wrangler has that Bronco doesn’t.

While IFS will no doubt help the Bronco handle better, it will do little to nothing to reduce the road noise from a big rolling brick with plastic removable tops or change the fact that the Bronco is a heavy, BOF 4x4.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

IFS has been around in passenger vehicles since at least the 50’s so not sure what you’re referring to with 70 year old technology that the Wrangler has that Bronco doesn’t.

While IFS will no doubt help the Bronco handle better, it will do little to nothing to reduce the road noise from a big rolling brick with plastic removable tops or change the fact that the Bronco is a heavy, BOF 4x4.
Seriously? I'm confident that I can actually keep the Bronco on the highway. I don't read that about solid axles. Exactly my point, IFS has been around so long....why hasn't Jeep adopted it? That one thing, to me, makes these NOT comparable at all.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Haha, then why reply to a thread with Wrangler in the title?

I made it to work in record time today, because I walked. Had I driven my truck, I'd still be stuck in a ditch on the side of the highway. Damned solid front axle!

Jeep has adopted IFS, just not on the Wrangler. IFS isn't better off road in certain cases, so Jeep offers both SFA and IFS vehicles. In fact, and I may be wrong (I love saying "in fact" as if it is a fact, and following it up with "and I may be wrong", negating the "fact"), Jeep offers IFS on ALL of their other vehicles, save the Wrangler. For their purpose-built off roader, they still use the superior (for that purpose), solid front axle.
Sponsored

Last edited: