Sponsored

Newbies afraid to test drive a wrangler?

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My good friend is DEAD SET on getting a $50k bronco. He has never been off road and never road in a newhighway speeds.
This guy loves luxury, luxury furniture, lux speakers, lux food...etc

I have a real feeling that he is going to be shocked at the rough ride (even without a SFA it’s no sedan) and the road noise will eat at him.
I have begged him to test drive a new wrangler with a hard tip simply for noise comparison but he just won’t do it.

he finally admitted to me that he has been too psyched for the bronco for too long and does not want to risk having his mind changed now.

I wonder how many other folks feel this way?

bronco is surely superior, but the downsides of an off-roader will be just as present and I feel lots of folks are going to be shocked
I’m used to wearing earplugs to block highway noise and standing on pegs to dampen my suspension, so I’m looking forward to my new, Bronco slush bucket.

Ford Bronco Newbies afraid to test drive a wrangler? B7C4F44B-A41F-4A42-A4F4-65631A03948D
Sponsored

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Ford Ranger is on a platform much like the Bronco it would be a much closer comparison then a jeep.

There are lots of people who have a luxury car and a jeep. He will be fine.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
I hope the Bronco is smoother than my Xterra. That thing can pop your spine out of alignment when it hits even a minor pothole.
I have an xterra, the seats suck no way around that. But the ride is not too bad unless the have the wrong tire pressure. A lot of people over inflate the tires and that gives you a terrible ride. There is a sticker on the door jam with the proper psi to use. If you go above this number it will make you suffer. Don't use the number on the tires, that is for pickups that carry a much heavier load.

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Similar thing happend with the Gladiator. Many bought them never having driven a Wrangler. I saw many people dumping them after a month or two because they were expecting it to be like a Ram or F-150.

Black Bronco Convertible

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Website
amzn.to
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think the bronco will be significantly quieter than my JLU in terms of wind noise and road. The Wrangler has much harsher angles solid axles. The majority of noise at highway speeds is from wind

Sponsored

jeep364

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep WK
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is why in a few years they will litter used lots.
$5 / gal gas won't help. The political climate we live in will push us to electric (which in itself isn't bad, but we neither have the infrastructure nor is it more 'environmentally friendly') by force.

SupremoSombrero

Big Bend
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The softer-than-truck spring rates (better for off-road) plus the enormously thiccc tire sidewalls of the tires will make the Bronco ride better than the Ranger.

With a hard-top, and the A/T tires (lower range models); the Bronco is going to feel great. Road noise is mainly a function of tires and poor detail aero design. A truck can be quiet if the corners of the A-pillars are nicely rounded.

The Bronco's windshield has generously rounded framing. I truly think the Bronco is going to surprise people to the upside on both noise and ride quality.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Is it sad that the Bronco is going to be the quietest, best-riding, and most luxurious car I'm going to have? Just wondering.

I've driven every generation of Wrangler, with the most seat time in the YJ (coincidentally, my favorite Wrangler). I know what I'm getting in to.

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Badlands 2D SAS, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm 40, my vehicles since I was 16 have been '89 Cherokee (XJ), '93 Toyota Pickup (which I never should have sold), and the '07 JKU. My off-roading is mainly limited because of where I live and play (NC/SC beaches). I want to get the Bronco and hit the NC/GA mountains more, and have something I trust, the JKU has been a great vehicle but it's piling up issues at this point.

With all that said, the Bronco is going to be a treat to drive compared to what I've had. The JKU at this point, on an interstate for 5-6 hours, which is rare because of it's age and issues, is pretty loud and rough. I think the JLU has come a long way, I've ridden/driven a few here and there, but the Bronco (the Badlands model, non-sas) I drove is a lot smoother,

Also, the manual in it is a lot better than the JK, although it takes a second to get used to the turbo. I haven't tried the JL manual yet.

In any case, yeah, if you are coming from a normal SUV (Highlanders, Explorer or whatever, there's going to be some tradeoffs). I never could really have a vehicle like that as I'm in sand 250 days a year and carrying a ton of surf/kite gear, so washout is a requirement.

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think there are a lot of people signed up for this Bronco not really knowing what they are getting into

At least drive a new Ranger that will give everyone A good idea of how it will ride. I think
If there is a lot of people not knowing what their getting into its not showing up in the reviews because the reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

Sponsored

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
My good friend is DEAD SET on getting a $50k bronco. He has never been off road and never road in a newhighway speeds.
This guy loves luxury, luxury furniture, lux speakers, lux food...etc

I have a real feeling that he is going to be shocked at the rough ride (even without a SFA it’s no sedan) and the road noise will eat at him.
I have begged him to test drive a new wrangler with a hard tip simply for noise comparison but he just won’t do it.

he finally admitted to me that he has been too psyched for the bronco for too long and does not want to risk having his mind changed now.

I wonder how many other folks feel this way?

bronco is surely superior, but the downsides of an off-roader will be just as present and I feel lots of folks are going to be shocked

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If there is a lot of people not knowing what their getting into its not showing up in the reviews because the reviews are overwhelmingly positive.
Ill renege on my statement from Jan.

soupcook

Outer Banks
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger and 2017 GMC Acadia Denali
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is why in a few years they will litter used lots.
You should try to find a new 2D Jeep Rubicon (or even a recent one 2019-2021). Very hard to find and very expensive. I sincerely doubt the Broncos will be littering the dealer lots. If they do, you can bet they will be soft tops IMO.

Oceannomad

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve had an FJ and a Raptor. I figure the Bronco “ride” fits somewhere in between. Only thing I remember about riding with my friend in his Jeep was the insane amount of road noise from his oversized tires.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Someone mentioned that driving a Ranger would be comparable to the ride of the Bronco. Lord I hope not. While it's super smooth on the highway my Ranger Supercab reminds me of my first ever truck, a used '79 F-250. On the shitty city streets in my town that little thing can shake you hemorrhoids loose. My 4 door Wrangler actually rides better in town if you don't pay attention to the rocking motions that you get from the two solids axles. :)
Sponsored